European Football

GazzyB

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are all the possible ways for 5th place to get into Europe?

Dundee United need to get to the final. If that doesn't happen then 5th place can kiss goodbye to European football. If Dundee United make it and Celtic don't then 5th need Dundee United to win the cup. If it is a Celtic v Dundee United final 5th is guaranteed Europe unless Dundee United fall to 6th which is extremely unlikely.

Im almost positive it has to be celic v dundee utd in the final for 5th place to get a euro spot.

If its Celtic v Raith then raith would qualify for europe.

If its Dundee Utd v Ross County then County would qualify.

If its Raith v Ross County then the winner qualifies.

Im almost positive it has to be celic v dundee utd in the final for 5th place to get a euro spot.

If its Celtic v Raith then raith would qualify for europe.

If its Dundee Utd v Ross County then County would qualify.

If its Raith v Ross County then the winner qualifies.

You are right on point one and 3.

Scotland has 3 Europa League slots and they are ranked as following. The ranking is vital to when you enter the competition.

1. Cup Winners (4th Qualifying)

2. 3rd Place (3rd Qualifying)

3. 4th (2nd Qualifying)

So if Dundee United beat Ross County in the final then they take slot 1. Slot 2 will go to 4th in the league and slot 3 to 5th in the league. This has been discussed on here before and on the radio.

Grabbed this from the Hearts kickback board.

It's simple enough there are 5 places available allocated thus

SPL 1st ->Champions League Group Stage

SPL 2nd ->Champions League 3rd Qualifier

Cup Winners ->Europa League 4th Qualifying round

SPL 3rd ->Europa League 3rd Qualifying round

SPL 4th->Europa League 2nd Qualifying round

If Ross county win the cup then they will go into the 4th qualifying round and no alterations will be needed.

If Dundee United win the cup and finish 3rd then they will go into the 4th qualifying round, the 4th place team will go into the 3rd round and the 5th place team will take their place in the 2nd qualifying round

SPL 1st, Rangers->Champions League Group Stage

SPL 2nd, Celtic ->Champions League 3rd Qualifier

Cup Winners, Dundee United ->Europa League 4th Qualifying round

SPL 4th, ? ->Europa League 3rd Qualifying round

SPL 5th-? >Europa League 2nd Qualifying round

If Dundee United win the cup and finish 2nd then they will go into the Champions League 3rd Qualifier instead of taking the cup winners place in the Europa League, Ross County will go into the Europa League 2nd Qualifying round, The 3rd place team will take the Europa League 4th Qualifying round spot and the 4th place team will move to

Europa League 3rd Qualifying round.

SPL 1st, Rangers->Champions League Group Stage

SPL 2nd, Dundee United ->Champions League 3rd Qualifier

SPL 3rd, Celtic ->Europa League 4th Qualifying round

SPL 4th,? ->Europa League 3rd Qualifying round

Cup Runners Up, Ross County->Europa League 2nd Qualifying round

Simples. Celtic scramble to 2nd, United win the Cup, we finish 5th. Course, let's get 4th and hope that Celtic fall even further and Ross County win the Cup. That'd do me.

Just confirmed on BBC Radio Scotland that Ross County will only qualify for Europe IF Dundee United get a Champions League slot, assuming it's a United/county final and also that United win.

Oddly enough Radio Five Live announced at the end of the game today that County would be in the Europa League next season. The media (radio) can't seem to make their minds up.

I'm not often compelled to post on here but can I assume you think the shite he took was unjust? Appreciate I've only been watching The Well for 30 years (a lot less that some on here) but in that time DA would happily walk in to "the least effective and most annoying team" during that time. He constantly hid through games and took virtually no responsibility, not to mention his obvious lack of talent (that was seen in what he did with the rest of his career after being with us). I, for one, celebrated the day we got shot, fair play to him if he turns out to be a better manager than player but lets be honest it wouldnt be that bloody difficult!!! Fair enough if he does take more pleasure from it but the fact that you would like to think he would take more satisfaction in denying us a place in Europe is frankly a bit bizarre!

Nah, I don't think it's bizarre. It's not like I'm saying I don't want us to qualify for Europe.

The thing I always remember, just after they started listing teams by squad numbers, was the collective groans and grumblings from the 'Well support when the first three names on the team were read out as "1. Stevie Woods, 2. Martyn Corrigan, 7.Derek Adams" and these were three guys who were good honest pros, comitted to the club with a spot-on attitude. Not worldbeaters, I admit, but I've always been baffled as to why the Motherwell support always give guys like them pelters and other players with more talent who don't apply themselves get off very lightly.

I also remember the day we got pumped 5-2 at Dunfermline (I think) on the opening day one season and Adams, who had been getting undeserved (IMHO) pelters all day swung in a corner for our second goal, and he punched the air in the direction of the 'Well support. There was a genuine vibe that day that some fans were raging that he'd put in a good cross for the goal. That's the sort of thing I find bizarre.