Top 6 Confirmed

samson1886

Top Six in any season is a big achievement.

This is off the top of my head but I think in my time as a supporter Tommy McLean only managed it twice, McLeish once, Butcher twice, McGhee once and now this season. So that's only seven times in 25+ years unless I'm forgetting one.

To confirm a top six place with three games to go before the split is an amazing achievement for this season. Thanks must go to Jim Gannon for signing players and trying to get them playing a decent brand of football, and to Craig and Archie for galvanising those same players (with some recalls) into a stronger and more resiliant unit.

Top Six in any season is a big achievement.

This is off the top of my head but I think in my time as a supporter Tommy McLean only managed it twice, McLeish once, Butcher twice, McGhee once and now this season. So that's only seven times in 25+ years unless I'm forgetting one.

Billy Davies' Motherwell finished 4th.

With 8 games to go we have equalled last years points total, even if we lose all 8 it'll equal our best 'losses in a season' record of 14 under Mark Mcghee, in the last 8 seasons we've finished:

08/09 - 7th L16

07/08 - 3rd L14

06/07 - 10th L20

05/06 - 8th L15

04/05 - 6th L16

03/04 - 6th L16

02/03 - 12th L24

01/02 - 11th L20

Only season 07/08 had positive goal difference

We've drawn more this season than any of the previous 8

We were certain of the top six about a month ago. We have to build on this form and try to achieve 3rd place.

A victory over Dundee Utd and a win against Falkirk before the split I think would give us the confidence to go into the split knowing a few wins would guarantee this. Anything against Celtic would be an added bonus.

The confidence is there. Its now all about staying injury free. Something we have been very lucky with this season.

Nice to have it officially confirmed, although I felt we were safe in the Top Six after our win in Perth.

Well done to everyone.

Interestingly we've lost the same amount of games as Celtic this season, but had a few more draws and a couple less wins. Makes you think what could've been.

JO'B's missed pen v Rangers and Forbesy's disallowed goal also agianst Rangers both loom large this season - would have been a more interetsing league tabel to look at it we had those 4 extra points and Rangers had 6 less!

JO'B's missed pen v Rangers and Forbesy's disallowed goal also agianst Rangers both loom large this season - would have been a more interetsing league tabel to look at it we had those 4 extra points and Rangers had 6 less!

Not to mention our inability to beat 10 man Aberdeen and Accies and 9 man Dundee United - which were back to back games....

A lot of points dropped where we "should" have won.

or the three 0-0 against

falkirk

hamilton

st mirren

I don't class those as "should" win. Motherwell 11 v 11 should not win every game, even against teams in the bottom half. The games I mentioned was because it was not 11 v 11 and you really "should" win those games.

Rangers would only have had 2 less, we drew mind. ^_^

We should be due 4 home games to give us the 19 I think. knowing the SPL though, we will get shafted and only get to play 18 at home.

the league will be done by then mate so the spl willny give a toss about the fixtures after the slpit.hibs or united at fir park on the last day of the season would be good if the euro places are still undecided

Assuming the top six is going to be rangers, celtic, hibs, united, hearts and ourselves.... does anyone know which of these games will be played at home?

I was guessing the dundee and celtic games would be the home games?

That is how I see it going. Not the easiest but it was never going to be.