Players Re-signing ?

yosemite sam

I don't blame Tom for taking that stance if indeed he even has. But I must say in my eyes he has gone from a must sign target earlier in the season to a it would be ok if he stays situation.

Also see that they are quoting that rangers are loking at Jim O'Brien. Silly season has started.........

Tom has been less effective due to him playing right back. Stick him in the midfield and he is essential to our team. Can't believe he never got nominated in any young player awards this season.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom's expressing what season ticket holders are also thinking.

There are varying levels of sympathy within the support for the club in our pitch plight. But we're getting to the straw that breaks the camel's back point - if you pardon the pun.

I understand we've had a bad winter but my own view is that we could have done the work the year before and benefitted from a milder winter in season 1 (hindsight and all that). But the scandal of the summer befor last has come home to roost big time.

Tom's expressing what season ticket holders are also thinking.

There are varying levels of sympathy within the support for the club in our pitch plight. But we're getting to the straw that breaks the camel's back point - if you pardon the pun.

I understand we've had a bad winter but my own view is that we could have done the work the year before and benefitted from a milder winter in season 1 (hindsight and all that). But the scandal of the summer befor last has come home to roost big time.

Spot on mate.

Totally understand if Tom doesn't want to play football at Fir Park if it's going to be like that next season. As his dad said , all he'll gain playing at Motherwell is "a few inches round his thighs".

Get it sorted Motherwell, losing a player because of the pitch is fucking embarrassing.

Based on what has been written in this and another thread it looks as if Jack played Hateley in midfield down to his previous performances AND because the player requested it AND because he wanted to keep him sweet in an effort to resign him. Not the best especially when as a result a right winger was played as a right back to accommodate it.

Maybe this is a knee jerk because our initial run has been followed by 4 losses in a row but I've found myself increasingly questioning some of Brown's decisions of late.

• St Mirren away, played for a draw with a weakened team to save players for Hearts on the Saturday
  • Off you go to the races boys, week off thing
  • Tactics not good enough to combat 75mins against 10 men
  • Defeat by bottom team, granted we rode our luck in the game in the 1st half of the season so maybe that was karma.
  • Can't comment on Celtic away as I didn't see it, however a centre half scoring twice from set pieces is not ideal.
  • Sunday has been covered at great length already and no doubt everyone has their own strong views on how things progressed.

Just with the intention of giving my own view on the points you've raised, and not intended as a "picking at your points" response at all....

• St Mirren away, played for a draw with a weakened team to save players for Hearts on the Saturday
    Can't believe he did it at a club of our level, where you can't second guess which games you're gonna win and which games you aren't...but I have to say I think it paid off.

• Off you go to the races boys, week off thing
    I genuinely think that could easily have gone the other way. In my opinion it was completely the right thing to do under the circumstances all things considered.

• Tactics not good enough to combat 75mins against 10 men
    I think United dictated our tactics that day...they were very very good after they went down to 10 men, and easily the best side in the SPL at the moment. In fairness though, things would have been much more even if Giles Coke could hit a shot that was still moving after it had travelled 3 yards.

• Defeat by bottom team, granted we rode our luck in the game in the 1st half of the season so maybe that was karma.
    Agree to an extent. The team at the bottom of the league is always potentially dangerous if they have fight about them...but you should be able to match anything they can come up with, especially at home.

• Can't comment on Celtic away as I didn't see it, however a centre half scoring twice from set pieces is not ideal.
    Defending was shocking at times...but poor finishing, and to a lesser extent good goalkeeping, is what lost us that game.

• Sunday has been covered at great length already and no doubt everyone has their own strong views on how things progressed.
    Bad day at the office for many reasons, but for the most part still managed to match the league's best side by miles.

Liam Bridcutt from Chelski was a trialist in that bounce game yesterday. In Chelseas own words a "tough tackling holding midfielder who can play full back" .... Sound like anyone we know? depending on which side of the fence you sit either it shows were preparing for life after Hateley, or were looking at our options incase he doesnt sign. wonder which one it is?

0-0 draws against the bottom 3 in the league raised questions long before any defeats came along. Playing 5-5 against St Mirren raised eyebrows with Steelboy saying he wouldn't have bothered if he'd known Jim Gannon was back in charge. All too busy on here creaming yirsels cos we got rid of the previous incumbent tae notice. Craigy isnae the be all and end all but he's done ok.

0-0 draws against the bottom 3 in the league raised questions long before any defeats came along. Playing 5-5 against St Mirren raised eyebrows with Steelboy saying he wouldn't have bothered if he'd known Jim Gannon was back in charge. All too busy on here creaming yirsels cos we got rid of the previous incumbent tae notice. Craigy isnae the be all and end all but he's done ok.

watch yersel' sir, ye'll be gettin accused of wantin us to get beat next ;):P

I'm just concerned as why a manager let a player dictate things to the extent that when our club captain and central defender went off, the aforementioned player who had been playing right back almost every game in 2010 was left in midfield for a right winger. The 3rd goal and everything surrounding it reminded me of the Hibs game and Rentokil's almost carbon copy of how Humphrey dealt with things on Sunday.

As for the Hateley/Pitch/Daily Record thing, just like Tonto, I can see smoke from 10 miles away, it obvious there is a bigger issue in play here, either a bigger move or brinkmanship to get a better salary T&C's. The use of the pitch being the deal-breaker is a public way of reminding us he's out of contract and stirring up fan interest and calling to retain him, therefore putting the board under a little extra pressure.

I think with the amount of trailist's we've fielded of late (Ghanian and Chelsea kid, etc.) who's bio's suggest they play the same position, it seems like Brown is already resigned that he's on his way.

I'm just concerned as why a manager let a player dictate things to the extent that when our club captain and central defender went off, the aforementioned player who had been playing right back almost every game in 2010 was left in midfield for a right winger. The 3rd goal and everything surrounding it reminded me of the Hibs game and Rentokil's almost carbon copy of how Humphrey dealt with things on Sunday.

As for the Hateley/Pitch/Daily Record thing, just like Tonto, I can see smoke from 10 miles away, it obvious there is a bigger issue in play here, either a bigger move or brinkmanship to get a better salary T&C's. The use of the pitch being the deal-breaker is a public way of reminding us he's out of contract and stirring up fan interest and calling to retain him, therefore putting the board under a little extra pressure.

I think with the amount of trailist's we've fielded of late (Ghanian and Chelsea kid, etc.) who's bio's suggest they play the same position, it seems like Brown is already resigned that he's on his way.

Agree with this. Also must be a VERY slow OF news day when two different Motherwell stories make the back of The Sun and Daily Record.

In relation to John Boyle's `missing Celtic game` comments posted earlier. I'm not getting how this will impact on re/signings.

Might just be totally missing something but how come suddenly not getting £120 000 odd for a game with Celtic equates to a catastrophe. Is Boyle saying that at the start of the season he was expecting us to finish in the top six? (How many people on here thought we'd make the top six after losing the players we did?) I find it unbelievable that he budgeted for such an outcome.

MFC had significantly reduced its wage bill towards the end of last season by selling some of our biggest earners and promoting youth players on smaller wages. We made good money through transfer sales and spent nothing ourselves. We even got a good fee for M&M. Europe surely made something for the club and there was a new strip, decent season ticket sales due to the prospect of europe, a new manager and a new team.

If we're still making a loss after that, Boyle needs to realise he's not up to the job of running a football club. I recognise we have had big outlays (pitch, ground maintenance and TV loss) but surely above is covering them.

One more thing. Can someone at the club politely tell him to shut the fuck up. If your looking to sell a player or two in the summer and get the best possible price for them, don't tell the world and every club in it that your desperately needing money just to break even.

Might just be totally missing something but how come suddenly not getting £120 000 odd for a game with Celtic equates to a catastrophe. Is Boyle saying that at the start of the season he was expecting us to finish in the top six?

No, but he wouldn't have been budgeting for more major pitch repairs, either. As he says in the interview, the gate money from a home OF game would pretty much have covered that.

No, but he wouldn't have been budgeting for more major pitch repairs, either. As he says in the interview, the gate money from a home OF game would pretty much have covered that.

Is there going to be major pitch repairs again? My money is on little more than a re-seeding.

the st mirren game was disapointing but i think the win against hearts vinidicated it.

the two games against united have been incredibly unlucky. we lost 6 goals from 9 shots and i think in both games we were outplaying them and making more chances before we self destructed. in both games we had bad decisions with the offside goal and the pen which would have made a difference.

the falkirk game was shite and celtic was close but no cigar which is just par for the course of being a well fan.

brown and knox's big test will come in the summer. so far we've signed mcglinchey and been linked with moore and pellegrino all of whom knox would have heard about on his oz trip. we've also been linked with a ugandan more than likely reccomended by bobby williamson and two americans that have came on our radar while talking to everton about the juke and ruddy. so far so uninspiring (and malpasesque). they've got to prove they can go out and find a few players rather than just mopping up scraps passed their way.

i was also disapointed that mchugh or even smith didn't get on as a third sub at the weekend. brown has played a lot of young players but they all had 10+ starts under their belt, will he show the same faith in mchugh, pollock, meechan, page, haslam, quinn ect when the time comes.

they've got to prove they can go out and find a few players rather than just mopping up scraps passed their way.

For us, that's gonna be the way it is I'm afraid. The occasional loanee or same-ol' same-ol' free-agent who has beenn kicking around the SPL. Scottish Football has been busted by the OF and we can't afford to fix it so scraps it'll have to be to bolster our youth system guys.

not really. obviously gannon had an advantage of his knowledge of the english leagues but brown and knox have been working in england in different capacities as well and should have contacts down there as well.

all the players we've been linked with so far reminds me of malpas signing keegan and molloy for the sole reason that they had the same agent as danny murphy.

In relation to John Boyle's `missing Celtic game` comments posted earlier. I'm not getting how this will impact on re/signings.

Might just be totally missing something but how come suddenly not getting £120 000 odd for a game with Celtic equates to a catastrophe. Is Boyle saying that at the start of the season he was expecting us to finish in the top six? (How many people on here thought we'd make the top six after losing the players we did?) I find it unbelievable that he budgeted for such an outcome.

MFC had significantly reduced its wage bill towards the end of last season by selling some of our biggest earners and promoting youth players on smaller wages. We made good money through transfer sales and spent nothing ourselves. We even got a good fee for M&M. Europe surely made something for the club and there was a new strip, decent season ticket sales due to the prospect of europe, a new manager and a new team.

If we're still making a loss after that, Boyle needs to realise he's not up to the job of running a football club. I recognise we have had big outlays (pitch, ground maintenance and TV loss) but surely above is covering them.

One more thing. Can someone at the club politely tell him to shut the fuck up. If your looking to sell a player or two in the summer and get the best possible price for them, don't tell the world and every club in it that your desperately needing money just to break even.

I think you might be missing loadsa stuff.

Liam Bridcutt from Chelski was a trialist in that bounce game yesterday. In Chelseas own words a "tough tackling holding midfielder who can play full back" .... Sound like anyone we know? depending on which side of the fence you sit either it shows were preparing for life after Hateley, or were looking at our options incase he doesnt sign. wonder which one it is?

Nah mate this is just us finally getting a replacement for Klimpl :lol:

:lol::lol:

Anybody heard the rumour that Jack Ross (St Midden) has signed a pre-contract with us for next season ??

Hope it's a load of bull.

Yeah, heard that a good few weeks back that this was 'on the cards' and was posted on here if I recall.

Don't know if it's true or not.

You slag of Knox's link due to his trips but accept the only reason Gannon knew about anyone was because of his links down south. How is that different?

gannon's approach strikes me as much more organised and professional and probably didn't rely on old pals or combining scouting with a holiday.