Michael Fraser

HonkyMcHonK

Tuffey at Thistle looks good. Only seen him once,mind, but he gets fine write-ups(admittedly in the laughably pro-Thistle Herald. Probably a non-starter, his contracts up in the summer and half of the English Division Two is after the boy.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For two years under McGhee, and even before that, we were suspect at corners and free kicks into the box. It was clear then and it's clear now that the problem was that we had neither a big dominant centre half nor a big dominant goalie. This season we have had at least one of those in Ruddy and (potentially) the other in Hutchison. Last night we had neither and it showed.

We can't necessarily afford another keeper as good as Ruddy and if we are going to go with Fraser or another keeper like him (decent but not big enough) then we need a big dominant centre half.

We have been spoiled by Ruddy this season and has been a real luxury player from and EPL club.

Fraser is as good/bad as any other dross keeper in the SPL. I felt he has come onto some good form of late and needs game time. A good team needs a solid keeper and Fraser isnt quite there yet.

Tonight poor marking in the box and indecision (Fraser) cost us at least 1point.

All in all he will be 1st choice next season so get off his back. (We will be even worst when Reynolds is sold so next year a relegation battle will be pure torture)

We have been spoiled by Ruddy this season and has been a real luxury player from and EPL club.

Fraser is as good/bad as any other dross keeper in the SPL. I felt he has come onto some good form of late and needs game time. A good team needs a solid keeper and Fraser isnt quite there yet.

Tonight poor marking in the box and indecision (Fraser) cost us at least 1point.

All in all he will be 1st choice next season so get off his back. (We will be even worst when Reynolds is sold so next year a relegation battle will be pure torture)

No chance.

We know that his weakness is in the air and so does all our opposition. Which is only going to add to the pressure he is under. He is going to have to work extremely hard in training to improve this part of his game, and fast, especially with Utd due soon.

It hasnt changed in 10-15 years of bein a keeper, itll take more than a cpl training sessions to fix. Utd are gonna rape him on sunday

Whilst I agree that Fraser made a hash of the 2nd Cellic goal, and he doesnt appear confident or able to go for crosses (may we should get him a pair of Sprintair SX 150 jumping stilts) we have had some poor goalie moments before. Buzz used to be suspect at crossed balls also and I remember Sieb flapping at crossed balls on more that 1 occasion. Gordon Marshall had a poor day in the CIS cup final but made up a few weeks later with some good saves when we dumped Cellics title in 2005. Add to that Colin Meldrum and going back a number of years Dave Latchford. Ruddy isnt exempt with his booboo againt United a couple of weeks back. So other keepers have had poor spells and with Fraser having only played a few games. if he gets his confidence up and can make high crosses etc his, then maybe he'll turn out to be no too bad.

(I'm ever the optimist)

I very much doubt that.

He was top of Jimbo's hit list of players to be moved on.

As was Craigan. See how your point is pish now?

Whilst I agree that Fraser made a hash of the 2nd Cellic goal, and he doesnt appear confident or able to go for crosses (may we should get him a pair of Sprintair SX 150 jumping stilts) we have had some poor goalie moments before. Buzz used to be suspect at crossed balls also and I remember Sieb flapping at crossed balls on more that 1 occasion. Gordon Marshall had a poor day in the CIS cup final but made up a few weeks later with some good saves when we dumped Cellics title in 2005. Add to that Colin Meldrum and going back a number of years Dave Latchford. Ruddy isnt exempt with his booboo againt United a couple of weeks back. So other keepers have had poor spells and with Fraser having only played a few games. if he gets his confidence up and can make high crosses etc his, then maybe he'll turn out to be no too bad.

(I'm ever the optimist)

Good post.

First SPL start after a prolonged time on the sidelines. I don't seem to remember Ruddy getting pelters when he was rooted to the spot as Boyd knocked in a cross from inside the six yard box.

Fan favourites at Motherwell always seem to be exempt from wrong doing.

First SPL start after a prolonged time on the sidelines. I don't seem to remember Ruddy getting pelters when he was rooted to the spot as Boyd knocked in a cross from inside the six yard box.

Fan favourites at Motherwell always seem to be exempt from wrong doing.

If this was mistakes down to rustiness then I + many others im sure would forgive + forget but the mistakes he made were down to being shit at crosses ,not commanding his area + poor decision making! something he has been accused of his ENTIRE CAREER. Didnt matter if this was his 1st or 51st SPL start with us,it would have been exactly the same,thats why ppl are pissed off,nothing to do with fan favourites or boo boys

My mind is hazy from the goals at the 6-1 game, but you must be talking about Boyd's goal there? There's no way even you, with your innate dislike of Ruddy, will blame him for Reynolds just standing there in the 1-1 game?

My mind is hazy from the goals at the 6-1 game, but you must be talking about Boyd's goal there? There's no way even you, with your innate dislike of Ruddy, will blame him for Reynolds just standing there in the 1-1 game?

I don't have a dislike of Ruddy. I just hate that people see no faults in the guy.

That is the one I'm talking about Neil. It was a ball into the six yard box, and in-swinger none the less. Similar to the ball im that Fraser came and punched against Celtic. It wasn't a great punch but we didn't concede a goal from it.

Ruddy is good at commanding his box but he is not as great as some folk make out. He makes plenty of errors which seem to be glossed over.

Fraser is not absolutely amazing by any standard but is more than adequete for SPL level.

I don't have a dislike of Ruddy. I just hate that people see no faults in the guy.

That is the one I'm talking about Neil. It was a ball into the six yard box, and in-swinger none the less. Similar to the ball im that Fraser came and punched against Celtic. It wasn't a great punch but we didn't concede a goal from it.

Ruddy is good at commanding his box but he is not as great as some folk make out. He makes plenty of errors which seem to be glossed over.

Fraser is not absolutely amazing by any standard but is more than adequete for SPL level.

I like Ruddy but he has let us down on a good few occasions against the 'bigger' teams in the SPL most notably Rangers at Ibrox and Fir Park, Dun Utd at Tannadice, Hearts at Tynecastle, and Hibs at Fir Park. During thise games we picked up one point. However, at it is a big however I believe we would be in a much worse position if Fraser had played all season and Ruddy wasn't with us. A First Division/back up standard goalie but NEVER, EVER, a first choice SPL keeper.

What fucking revelance has Jim Gannon got with this :rolleyes:

Cool down mate. No offence intended by my remark.

The relevance of my comment is that Terry Butcher didn't rate him at Inverness. Now Jim Gannon, whatever his faults, is generally credited with having a good eye for a player, and being euphemistic, didn't rate him either. The only one who did seem to rate him was Mark McGhee, and he never actually managed him.

McGhee excepted, both of the other 2 bosses deemed him to be surplus to requirements. Not conclusive evidence I know but when 2 managers come to the same conclusion then it does make you think. Thats the relevance of my comment.

Terry Butcher wanted him to stay at Inverness, and wanted to sign him for Motherwell when he was here....... So Butcher does rate him.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Gannon didn't rate him, but identified that the defence needed a more commanding presence behind them as we are susceptible to cross balls. There's not much of a height difference between Ruddy and Fraser, but Ruddy seems to command the area a bit better.

As has been said, Michael Fraser will be in goals for the next couple of games at least and they are vital games for us, so let's get behind him.

Terry Butcher wanted him to stay at Inverness, and wanted to sign him for Motherwell when he was here....... So Butcher does rate him.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Gannon didn't rate him,

Terry dropped him for a poor performance at Ibrox and then wasn't impressed that he signed a pre contract agreement with us.

Don't really want to mention JG again for fear of upsetting folk, but believe me he did not rate Michael.

Yeah, he's well thought of up north by the fans of the 1st Division club...

Yeah, a first division club. I mean, they only plumeted down the table after dropping Fraser because of his pre-contract.

Even though he was surrounded by shite he still managed to be on the winning side against Celtic.