How Much Would You Pay To Watch Motherwell At Home?

andybug

77 members have voted

1. 1. Since the clubs never ask the fans I thought I would

• £10
    • £15
    • £20
    • £25

i would like a £15 ceiling at ALL s.p.l. clubs & maybe more fans would travel to away games.

This I totally agree with, but it would need to be adopted by ALL SPL clubs outwith the bigots. No point asking they tossers to do something for the betterment of everyone.

Paying £15 is great but what effect would that have on the wage structure at the club and what kind of player could we then afford. I'm not sure the club could afford to drop £7.00 per head (curent ticket prices are £22 I think) on every fan over, say 20(ish) home games a season. Say the club got 5,500 through the doors (taking OF games into account over the season this might be below the average we get). That would be a loss of £38,500 a match. Multiplied by 20 and you are looking at a loss of £770,000 a season on tickets.

Quite staggering when you put it like that. It is a small saving for each fan on a weekly basis but it is a MAJOR hit to the club that would no doubt reflect on the quality on the pitch which would in turn lead to punters questioning the value for money aspect. Vicious circle.

somewhere around £10-£15 is about right for a spl game.i know a few well fans that used to be regulars but over the last couple of seasons have hardly set foot in fir park due to the cost.our core support seems to be dropping and itll only get worse if the prices continue the way they have been.we should be doing everything we can to try and get the next generation of fans through the gates.id like to see us give away say 1000 vouchers to different primary schools that would allow the child and a parent in for a £10 that way we could potentially put 2000 onto the gate and the club to make a bit extra that they wouldny normally make and the only expense the club would have to pay for is the cost of printing the vouchers and maybe take on a extra few stewards.we had about 400 falkirk fans sitting in a 4000 capacity stand last week we could easily look to fill that up with school kids and discounts for familys.now is the time for something to be done before its to late

Its got to be affordable for everyone. £15 might be ok for a workin man who goes alone, but if your unemployed the £15 is a lot of money. Also if your taking kids then it soon mounts up.

Why has it got to be affordable for everyone? I agree that football is too expensive, particularly of you're taking the kids, but the argument about the unemployed comes up every time when prices are discussed.

Two things strike me. The unemployed people I come across seem to have more disposable income than those I know who do work. Why should football worry if the unemployed can't afford it? It's a business. And as I've said, the number of unemployed people who can kit out the whole family with home and away kits plus trackies of their chosen team suggests that they're not the ones we should be worrying about...

Why has it got to be affordable for everyone? I agree that football is too expensive, particularly of you're taking the kids, but the argument about the unemployed comes up every time when prices are discussed.

Two things strike me. The unemployed people I come across seem to have more disposable income than those I know who do work. Why should football worry if the unemployed can't afford it? It's a business. And as I've said, the number of unemployed people who can kit out the whole family with home and away kits plus trackies of their chosen team suggests that they're not the ones we should be worrying about...

So basically screw the unemployed? you will be spoilt for choice come the general election.

Like everyone I would rather have a full ground than a half empty one. Only way that is going to happen is if we lower the match price significantly and look to lower the grounds capacity (take away the top teir of the South stand). Im for £10 adults / £15 family ticket / OAP's £5 . Can only speak for myself but if that then leads to a lower salary cap and the odd season in a lower division so be it.

It's time for a smaller ground (not necessarily on a new site) with tighter stands and low admission prices.

So basically screw the unemployed? you will be spoilt for choice come the general election

I don't see any other branch of the entertainment industry where they're concerned if the unemployed can't afford it. Bread, milk, gas, electricity, public transport should all be affordable for the unemployed. Don't see why football "has to be" (I know why it "has to be" really, people are more attached to their teams than to say a film star or a band normall).

All I would say is that football has been referred to as the "working man's game" not the "jobless man's game".

Aye, football is too expensive. For people who work too...

As has been mentioned, reducing prices is all very well, but what is the effect on the quality of player we can afford? If you think the quality at £25 a head is mediocre, what would it be like at £15 a head? Don't pretend we have enough fans who would magically appear from nowhere at those reduced prices to make up the difference in revenue, because they don't. Demanding reduced prices without anything to compensate is suicide - obviously, the most important factor in defining what to charge for something is what it costs to supply, and the club is already making a loss on current figures.

What are you prepared to sacrifice in return for a price cut? Reducing the prices and costs at Fir Park would put us at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the SPL, so would we accept giving up on being in the SPL? Then when we get relegated even more cuts would be necessary because of lost TV revenue, so the quality would reduce further, and would people then demand to pay £10? Would even that be too much to watch the likes of Queen of the South and Morton? Would fewer people turn up because they feel it is too expensive? Do we then reduce costs further and find ourselves in the second division?

Even if the rest of the SPL agreed to reduce wages in line with reduce admission prices, the quality would still suffer because any half-decent players just wouldn't come to (or stay in)Scotland.

Reducing prices, forcing a reduction in playing budgets, is just the start of a downward spiral that will lead to lower status for the club, SPL and Scottish football. The only answer would be if the reductions were implemented on a European scale.

The only way to make lower prices work is to guarantee more paying fans coming through the door, so that a reduced price can bring in the same (or higher) revenue. This could then begin an upward spiral of more revenue meaning a higher budget, better players and more people willing to pay what it costs. Any suggestions on how that could be achieved will, I think, be of more use than simple demands for reduced admission.

That's a fair enough post Scott and i agree pretty much with most of it. However I would add a significant factor. All this shows how the professional game in it's current state is unsustainable. We may be suffering more than most and possibly be in a more delicately poised position - but the same risks are present in many countries including England.

I think we're still a couple of seasons at most away from a complete collapse or split - a ground zero so to speak. In fact it's probably what's needed.

It's a vicious circle / catch 22 at the moment and something very soon on a grand scale will collapse.

Thing is to continue to inflict more and more costs the reduced number people who do support the game week in week out, year on year is not the answer.

The game needs to maximise its sponsorship income, share it more equally across the game, find a sensible admission price level for punters and then cut their cloth to suit.

Addressing all of those factors arse over tit like the SPL for instance do at the moment is unfortunately suicide (slow painful suicide at that).

This will be an interesting close season all across Scotland for season tickets.