Darren Smith

postiejim

"My contract is up and I have not really been playing so I can't see I'll be offered a new one," said the 22-year-old.

"I just hope someone will give me the opportunity and I'll produce it for someone else.

"I'm really open to anything, I just want to play. The season has been so frustrating, it has just got me down a bit.

"I want to go somewhere where I can get 30-40 games a season, just for the love of playing football again. I'm fit now and I just want to get at it again."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard lines for the boy.

He loved the club and would run all day and was fast as fuck, just lacked the quality cutting edge that other players have, first touch, vision etc..

Would still have loved to see him up front for a run of games as I reckon with confidence perhaps his pace and determination might have delivered - I mean how often do you get an actual fan from the East Stand playing for the team.

Hope he gets picked up but it won't be more than a part-time gig at a Cowdenbeath/East Fife I reckon.

Its probably best for him that he moves on, he needs to play regularly.

If he does go he leaves with my best wishes and thanks for his efforts. His injury time equaliser against Shellic in December 2006 and the opener in our UEFA Cup qualifier against the Sheep in May 2008 will live long in the memory.

Good luck Dazzler.

As much as I feel sorry for the lad, don't think he's going to cut it at Motherwell. I think if he was going to make an impact on the first team he'd have done so by now. Hope he forges a good career for himself with the likes of a first division club. Anyway, I'm sure it was reported on here he wasn't a 'well fan but actually a bluenose.

Is it just me that have fond memories of him scoring some important goals for us? OK he didn't score many or that but they all seemed to be important, especially in McGhee's first season*

*waits for someone to tell me he only scored the one - against Aberdeen (although that was very important).

Is it just me that have fond memories of him scoring some important goals for us? OK he didn't score many or that but they all seemed to be important, especially in McGhee's first season*

*waits for someone to tell me he only scored the one - against Aberdeen (although that was very important).

Did he not score an equaliser against one of the old firm ?

A shame to hear that he's likely to be moving on but fully understandable if he's been fit all this time and not getting a look in. Always gave everything he had and you could see how much it meant to him to be playing for the Well, never more so than after his goal against Aberdeen the day we sealed our European spot.

Best of luck to the lad, I hope he gets a fair chance and makes a go of it wherever he ends up.

Sad to see him go, I don't have the stats to hand but I'd imagine his goals to starts ratio must be pretty good. He's scored a good few goals over the years, albeit most of them from the bench. Like I say, would like him to stay, don't imagine he's costing us the earth in wages but for his own good maybe time to move on...

Anyway, I'm sure it was reported on here he wasn't a 'well fan but actually a bluenose.

Haha, absolute shite. :lol:

Shame. Cracking lad, cracking attitude. Hope he picks up something soon.

pretty disapointed by this, darren made some important contributions before he had an iffy start to 08/09 and he has barely had a chance since then. if you gave me the choice between him and humphrey for next season i'd choose smith in a heartbeat.

good luck to dazza if he leaves.

My favourite memory of DLS was when I, after 0 hours sleep the night before, asked if there was 'Any autograph of a chance, Darren?' The look of confusion on his face was priceless.

I hope he stays, but it seems unlikely so I guess I'll just have to bid him farewell and good luck.

That is a real shame. I remember him making his debut at 16 against ICT at pittodrie and thinking he was our next big thing. I always thought he did well. Certainley did for mcghee in his first campaign but second he was left out more often. Remember his peach of a header against Dundee in the scot cup!! I would keep him. Dont think he would comand a huge wage.

I agree with the majority of comments on here. I wish him well, and would have liked him to have stayed, but if he needs 30-40 games a season then that's clearly not going to be us.

Given that the Juke looks to be off, I'd have held onto Smith as a back-up striker unless Paw Broon has a couple of forwards coming in that I don't know about. That being the case, we'll just have to wave him off, wish him well and fondly remember a few big, big goals he scored for us. I always enjoyed his goals that bit more because you knew they meant as much to him as they did to the guys cheering on from the stands.

All the best, Darren.

Is say, Chris Humphrey, a much better player than Darren Smith? Not having a go at Chris Humphrey but I would have liked to have seen Smith get at least a chance this season but I reckon he's fallen foul of Broon's well established habit of working with a small group of players and sticking with them.

Some one said he will probably only get a part time gig but I disagree, I think he can go down to the first division and get a club. He's quite a physically strong player with a big frame, has great pace, works his socks off and has a decent scoring record considering the limited opportunities he had so I think he can easily go to first division level and prosper.

Good luck to the guy.

Decent player that has never really impressed me. Always looked a bit clumsy on the ball. He did get into good areas though and scored a few vital goals for us, but at the moment I just can't see how he would fit into our team.

Humphrey is a better player. He has much more of an impact that Smith, he just needs to convert some of his opportunities. Hopefully with a pre season under him he will be a better player next year.

Humphrey is a better player. He has much more of an impact that Smith, he just needs to convert some of his opportunities. Hopefully with a pre season under him he will be a better player next year.

humphrey for all his game time this season has produced next to nothing. he's a decent guy to put on if we have a couple of goals of a lead (eg killie home and away) but when's he's started or come on when games are level or we're behind he has contribued nothing.