What Chance For Our Youth?

the fox

Last Sunday i read with bemusement an article in notw about Motherwell having a 20 year old on trial who was in Chelsea's academy.While i accept at times it is imperative that players are brought in within time constraints i despair at the chances of the indigenous young players from Lanarkshire who are trying to make a career in soccer. :lol:

It would be foolish not to look at the potential players that were out there and if they are of a better quality than what we already have, I don't see what is wrong with looking at the options available. Of course I'd like our players to come through our youth system and I think at Motherwell they get given every opportunity to do so, I know not as much to an extent under Craig Brown compared to Gannon but Murphy and now Saunders are getting a good shot at it, you only have to look at our bench with the youth coming through and I reckon players like McHugh will play a pivitol role in our squad. I don't see any reason that having a youth player on trial from Chelsea should cause you such bemusement.

While I can see where the original post is coming from, I struggle to think of someone who has been in our youth system, been unable to break into our first team and gone on to great things. Tends to suggest that over the years that those in charge round our way can sort the good players from the dross. Cream tends to rise to the top. If the likes of Saunders, Murphy, Hutchison and Forbes are good enough, they'll play irrespective of who's manager and who else is in the squad. If they're not good enough, the fate of Kenny Wright, Shaun Fagan and Greig Denham (to name but three) awaits them.

Let us not forget that many of the products of "our" youth system are not Lanarkshire born and bred. Lasley (Paisley), McFadden (Glasgow) and currently Hutchison (the NE of England) are just three that spring to mind. We, as a club, are doing what many of the bigger clubs are doing but on a much smaller scale/budget. Like Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool et al paying ridiculous sums for 14-15yr olds from smaller clubs with good youth systems so we have taken two players in the last couple of years (that I'm aware of) from Queens Park and I seem to recall one from Ross County (though I can't remember the guy's name).

Bringing in a guy from Chelsea may not seem to fit the same ideal (and at 20, older than I'd like) but we picked up Jim O'Brien in similar circumstances...

While I can see where the original post is coming from, I struggle to think of someone who has been in our youth system, been unable to break into our first team and gone on to great things. Tends to suggest that over the years that those in charge round our way can sort the good players from the dross. Cream tends to rise to the top. If the likes of Saunders, Murphy, Hutchison and Forbes are good enough, they'll play irrespective of who's manager and who else is in the squad. If they're not good enough, the fate of Kenny Wright, Shaun Fagan and Greig Denham (to name but three) awaits them.

Let us not forget that many of the products of "our" youth system are not Lanarkshire born and bred. Lasley (Paisley), McFadden (Glasgow) and currently Hutchison (the NE of England) are just three that spring to mind. We, as a club, are doing what many of the bigger clubs are doing but on a much smaller scale/budget. Like Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool et al paying ridiculous sums for 14-15yr olds from smaller clubs with good youth systems so we have taken two players in the last couple of years (that I'm aware of) from Queens Park and I seem to recall one from Ross County (though I can't remember the guy's name).

Bringing in a guy from Chelsea may not seem to fit the same ideal (and at 20, older than I'd like) but we picked up Jim O'Brien in similar circumstances...

Queen's Park - Saunders and Gary Smith

Ross County - Ryan Scanlon

Also you can add Ross Hyslop who we took back from Scunthorpe IIRC.

Like Shaka mentions 5 of the youth team have signed new contracts and will be involved in the first team next season.

Our youth set-up continues to provide new players every year.

As for youngsters having a chance to make the first team have you not seen or team sheet this season? Even all the more established guys like Hammell, Craigan, Lasley all came from our own youth teams.