Thursday Excitement - Teams/Hopes/Fears

carlukemurray

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, YOU are missing the point entirely. Icelandic clubs are small and have a small fan base. These are difficult economic times and football fans are every bit as affected as everyone else, so the fact they brought a group of fans over for a Europa League qualifer from a country which is on the brink, is a testament to them. How many should they have brought to Britain, this small Icelandic club - five thousand, fifty thousand? I will bet my last penny that most of those who travelled (a) had never heard of Motherwell before the draw or (b) knew nothing about them. They know that a Europa League qualifier isn't a glamour tie, so please don't patronise them by telling them they are they part of something incredible; they aren't stupid and it's you who are being condescending. You think Icelandic people don't know how to contextualise what a big game is? Those who travelled, however small in number, have my full respect. They have other priorities, same as all football fans, and can decide for themselves which matches are worth attending. They voted with their feet in the context of the cost of attending, same as we all do; their home crowd will be much bigger than the number who travelled to Scotland.

Christ Almighty. How hard can it be to realise that to useless wee diddy mobs like us, a Europa League qualifier IS A FUCKING BIG DEAL.

It might seem trivial to you but it bloody isn't to us. This is the thing that had folk pulling you up and the reason has already been pointed out to you but you're STILL arguing the case. Must be pish being right all the time.

Like I said, this board needs a 'wanker' icon. ;)

What you mean is you know you're wrong, dickhead.

Only ten Motherwell fans went to a European away tie last year. Motherwell don't play in Europe evey year, so where were you all for this 'glamour tie'? :mellow: The Icelandics faced the same choices, please don't patronise them.

Christ Almighty. How hard can it be to realise that to useless wee diddy mobs like us, a Europa League qualifier IS A FUCKING BIG DEAL.

It might seem trivial to you but it bloody isn't to us. This is the thing that had folk pulling you up and the reason has already been pointed out to you but you're STILL arguing the case. Must be pish being right all the time.

So where were you all last year, with decorator and his nine pals? Wasn't a big deal then, was it?

These are hard times and you had the same decisions to make the Icelandics did. They deserve credit for taking anyone to Scotland.

Crikey - I thought this was a football forum. I have wondered into a minefield....

As for TF - glad to see you have an affection and affinity for all things Motherwell, but you are heading down the wrong path. The reason we had 10 in Albania in no particular order

- THE CLUB TOLD US NOT TO TRAVEL

- IT WAS ONLY ONE WEEK AFTER 2000 TRAVELLED TO WALES - The equivalent of 35,000 Man U fans if you take 50% of your home support

- WE ARE IN A PICKLE ECONOMY WISE

I reckon we will take 2-300 to Iceland inc my goodself. Probably comparable with the 30 or so fans that Breidablik took to Scotland.

The Icelandics faced the same choices, please don't patronise them.

No-one's patronising the Breidablik fans.

You were the one who came on here stating that it wasn't a glamour tie and how amazing it was that they bothered coming over.

No-one's patronising the Breidablik fans.

You were the one who came on here stating that it wasn't a glamour tie and how amazing it was that they bothered coming over.

And I stand by that, just as your trip to Albania demonstrated last year. You expect them to come over by the plane load- a small club from a tiny country, in these economic times - to see a team they have never heard of? FFS who is being arrogant?

Only ten Motherwell fans went to a European away tie last year. Motherwell don't play in Europe evey year, so where were you all for this 'glamour tie'?

At this stage of the Europa League there is only a week between ties, hence anyone who wants to go has a few days to get time off and book flights etc. Obviously at short notice this increases cost and is not doable for everyone.

I'd love to be able to go but its a non-starter, particularly financially. I don't consider myself any less of a Well fan for not going, any more than those who do would consider themselves to be the best. Over 2,000 Well fans made it to Llanelli last year and 3,000 the year before to Nancy, but that was due to the relative ease in getting there plus a more realistic time frame to organise the trip.

For Motherwell fans EVERY European match is a biggie. There was a gap of thirteen years between our UEFA Cup clashes with MyPa-47 in 1995 and AS Nancy in 2008, so we know that after this season it could be years before we qualify again.

We will never take it for granted, but I do understand why you do with Man U. Let's stop this silly bickering and name-calling and just accept that some supporters have different outlooks as regards supporting their team.

So where were you all last year, with decorator and his nine pals? Wasn't a big deal then, was it?

These are hard times and you had the same decisions to make the Icelandics did. They deserve credit for taking anyone to Scotland.

stop repeating yourself ya clown

To be fair to those who went to Albania the club advised (along with the Foreign Office) that it should be avoided as the country appears to be inhabited by prossie smugglers and credit card skimmers.

;):mellow::lol:

And I stand by that, just as your trip to Albania demonstrated last year. You expect them to come over by the plane load to see a team they have never heard of? FFS who is being arrogant?

shut the fuck up how would you know if the icelandic fans ad heard of motherwell before.it seems your the arrogant 1 making comments like that

Most of us (3,000) had spent a fair bit of money in Wales and the Albania tie was less than a week later. Add to the (funny yet true) reasons given by LT that is why there was only 10. Plus, ask decorator how long it took him to get to Albania and back and costs involved and I'm sure it was short or cheap.

Trafficlight, when nobody agrees with you and 10 or so find fault in your argument bow out with grace and don't keep is going as it will be unlikely you'll change anyone's opinion. Just allow the thread to get back onto chat/banter about Thursday.

shut the fuck up how would you know if the icelandic fans ad heard of motherwell before.it seems your the arrogant 1 making comments like that

Fair enough, I just think they brought as many as could be expected in the circumstances and they did their club proud. It wouldn't have been cheap, same goes for all for the Motherwell fans who travel to Iceland; I respect the sacrifices they must be making for what is a Europa League qualifier. The circumstances/context of the match do dictate how many fans attend.

Most of us (3,000) had spent a fair bit of money in Wales and the Albania tie was less than a week later. Add to the (funny yet true) reasons given by LT that is why there was only 10. Plus, ask decorator how long it took him to get to Albania and back and costs involved and I'm sure it was short or cheap.
tell you on wed night when you are getting the beers in ;)

Trafficlight, when nobody agrees with you and 10 or so find fault in your argument bow out with grace and don't keep is going as it will be unlikely you'll change anyone's opinion. Just allow the thread to get back onto chat/banter about Thursday.

Fair point, each side will just have to be certain of the other's arrogance. I think they are delusional, no doubt they will say I am condescending.

Fair enough, I just think they brought as many as could be expected in the circumstances and they did their club proud. It wouldn't have been cheap, same goes for all for the Motherwell fans who travel to Iceland; I respect the sacrifices they must be making for what is a Europa League qualifier. The circumstances/context of the match do dictate how many fans attend.

I personally didn't expect ANY but I'll be surprised if it doesn't go down as one of the biggest matches/occasions in their recent history. I went in to the shop an hour or so before the game and was happy to see fans in Breidablik jaikets snapping up leftover Canterbury merchandise. Wee bit surprised when I saw the same 'fans' in the dugout and shouting instructions at the team when the gemme kicked aff ;)

Fair point, each side will just have to be certain of the other's arrogance. I think they are delusional, no doubt they will say I am condescending.

Where's the arrogance? All I've seen is people trying to point out the part of your post that was insulting.

Where's the arrogance? All I've seen is people trying to point out the part of your post that was insulting.

'Glamour tie' and 'big deal' as if the Icelandics should have travelled en masse to Scotland for a Europa League qualifier, despite the current economic problems. Like they can't contextualise the real significance of the tie but were blown away by just being in the draw. Motherwell were lucky to welcome as many away fans as they did in the context of things. The majority would have been watching the game in a bar in Reykjavik. Try to assuage yourselves of the assumption that anyone who supports a big club is arrogant, but test your own utterances.