• Chris Humphrey
    • Keith Lasley
    • Jamie Murphjy
    • Ross Forbes
    • John Sutton
    • Gary Smith
    • Steven Saunders
    • Null Vote

I would say we do have backup in the form of Hateley and Fitzpatrick.

I would rather see Hately play midfield than Forbes, got a better engine, can tackle, can pass the ball every bit as well and is a good dead ball player. I don't think Fitzy does the same job as Jennings or Lasley but he could do as useful a job as Forbes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye cause in all his years at Motherwell Fitzy has been known as a regular midfield goalscorer! Fitzy couldnt lace Forbes boots, the boy may be a first division or second division player but an spl regular he is not.

Ross Forbes may not be the total athlete but in the 25 or so games he has played for us, he has scored more than all our other midfield players combined in the last 3 seasons,for a club like us,that just cannot be ignored

Ross Forbes is the closest we're ever going to get to a Xavi type of player*. How often do you see Xavi sprinting? How often do you see him pouputting in a crunching tackle? What Forbes brings is a player if given the ball can create something from nothing. The question week in, week out is going to be can the players around him see those passes.

I know some people on here want our midfielders to be cloggers, who put in the strong "kick up in the air tackles" but I'm quite glad we have a midfielder like Forbes. Someone with a little bit of technical skill - and if we can keep him signing contracts (or at least one more, we will make money out of him).

Oh and no point comparing him to Hateley, as I doubt Hateley would be as effective in a more forward role.

*In no way am I saying Forbes is as good as Xavi etc.

Ross Forbes is the closest we're ever going to get to a Xavi type of player*. How often do you see Xavi sprinting? How often do you see him pouputting in a crunching tackle? What Forbes brings is a player if given the ball can create something from nothing. The question week in, week out is going to be can the players around him see those passes.

I know some people on here want our midfielders to be cloggers, who put in the strong "kick up in the air tackles" but I'm quite glad we have a midfielder like Forbes. Someone with a little bit of technical skill - and if we can keep him signing contracts (or at least one more, we will make money out of him).

Oh and no point comparing him to Hateley, as I doubt Hateley would be as effective in a more forward role.

*In no way am I saying Forbes is as good as Xavi etc.

Does that mean that if Forbes is not playing then we don't have anybody who can create an opportunity? Technical skill and ability are allright when you are playing in a European type game where the midfield maestro can get time on the ball but we don't play many of them each year (probably because most of out midfield are cloggers) ;) Hately by the way was signed as a defensive midfielder which is basically where Lasley plays when Forbes is in the team.