Marky Reynolds!

Motherwell89

Anyway that is off topic, Ya Bezzer summed up Reynolds in his first line at post, although I wouldn't say he's not good enough to push for an international cap, but getting in front of McManus, Caldwell, Berra and Webster (probably) is another question altogether.

I actually think that Reynolds has found his level with us. He is a good player with pace and good skill for a defender but he is prone to some howlers (Nancy penalty, Boyd goal at FP, dodgy passbacks to a struggling Fraser) and he lacks the agression/presence of a top defender. Given that he was an integral part of one of the shackiest defenses in the league last season (Ruddy apart), I don't think he has proved himself yet and may never. He is not at International level and not at Premiership level.

You could see the dilema Gannon had with him last season. Gannon could see the raw talent but did not know where best to utilise it. I don't think Gannon saw him as a true Central defender hence the experimentation without ever leaving him from the team sheet.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think that Reynolds has found his level with us. He is a good player with pace and good skill for a defender but he is prone to some howlers (Nancy penalty, Boyd goal at FP, dodgy passbacks to a struggling Fraser) and he lacks the agression/presence of a top defender. Given that he was an integral part of one of the shackiest defenses in the league last season (Ruddy apart), I don't think he has proved himself yet and may never. He is not at International level and not at Premiership level.

Good player, pace, skill for a defender, but, he hasn't proved himself and may never? :rolleyes:

Attributes suited to the English game methinks... As for howlers, John Terry not make a few the season past? He's young yet, will being amongst better players, differing coaching methods not provide the platform to gain the qualities you feel are lacking? What is Scottish international class? Gary Caldwell?

I'd wager over 90% of points raised with regards player perception at our club are based on little participation or no grounding in the game at any level or knowledge as to how the game 'is' played.

Good player, pace, skill for a defender, but, he hasn't proved himself and may never? :rolleyes:

Attributes suited to the English game methinks... As for howlers, John Terry not make a few the season past? He's young yet, will being amongst better players, differing coaching methods not provide the platform to gain the qualities you feel are lacking? What is Scottish international class? Gary Caldwell?

I'd wager over 90% of points raised with regards player perception at our club are based on little participation or no grounding in the game at any level or knowledge as to how the game 'is' played.

I don't know, will it? As far as coaching methods are concerned, Reynolds has worked under Butcher, Malpas, Gannon and Brown and his ability has stayed fairly consistent despite different coaching methods. The point I am making is that Reynolds is Motherwell standard at the moment. Is your point that players with basic skill and pace are too good for Motherwell?

As far as knowledge of the game is concerned, if you are 'football man' with experience and expertise that I could only wish for then I am happy to accept that Reynolds is a player with ability that stretches beyond the SPL and would be delighted to see him progress to bigger and better things. Is seems to me however that the mysteries of the game that you football men are happy to wax lyrical about are actually not that mysterious.

I don't know, will it? As far as coaching methods are concerned, Reynolds has worked under Butcher, Malpas, Gannon and Brown and his ability has stayed fairly consistent despite different coaching methods. The point I am making is that Reynolds is Motherwell standard at the moment. Is your point that players with basic skill and pace are too good for Motherwell?

As far as knowledge of the game is concerned, if you are 'football man' with experience and expertise that I could only wish for then I am happy to accept that Reynolds is a player with ability that stretches beyond the SPL and would be delighted to see him progress to bigger and better things. Is seems to me however that the mysteries of the game that you football men are happy to wax lyrical about are actually not that mysterious.

Pedantic. Didn't allude to that in any way.

By your own admission, 'He is a good player with pace and good skill for a defender', Reynolds is a player with ability that stretches beyond the SPL as these are attributes that seem to be the requirement of clubs south of the border to which I remarked. Don't need to be a 'football man' with experience for that.

My point with regards the grasp of the game wasn't directly at you, more at the board in general as some of the ideals happen to border on the ridiculous at times.

Pedantic. Didn't allude to that in any way.

By your own admission, 'He is a good player with pace and good skill for a defender', Reynolds is a player with ability that stretches beyond the SPL as these are attributes that seem to be the requirement of clubs south of the border to which I remarked. Don't need to be a 'football man' with experience for that.

My point with regards the grasp of the game wasn't directly at you, more at the board in general as some of the ideals happen to border on the ridiculous at times.

In actual fact we are in some ways singing from the same hymn sheet because I hope Reynolds does go on to bigger things. If anything I get frustrated at times that he does not live up to the potential he clearly has. It's a win/win for Motherwell. Keep him and we have a good player for another season, he moves on and we get the finance and the satisfaction of seeing a Well player come good.

I've been saying for a while now I think it's a certainty he'll go to Blackpool.

They've had cheeky bids for Steve Saunders and Garry Kenneth knocked back in January, so are clearly in the market.

Their main centre half just now, Ian Evatt, is solid and doesn't let much go past him, but he's lacking a bit of pace and Reynolds would be the ideal player next to him to help out a bit in that department.