Cardiff Owe Us Some Poons

Bop

Sky constantly running a story about Cardiff hoping to have their transfer embargo listed. Aye, no problems, just give us what we're owed first of all....

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From BBC sport

Cardiff claim transfer ban lifted

Cardiff City claim the Football League have lifted their transfer embargo.

The sanction was imposed on the Welsh club in May due to a delay in paying a £1.3m PAYE to HM Revenue and Customs and other football related debts.

But Cardiff insist the Football League is satisfied the debts have been paid so boss Dave Jones can register his three summer signings.

"The embargo is off," Jones told BBC Sport. "That has all been sorted so we are now able to register players."

The Football League was not available for an official comment but the Championship club insist the embargo has been removed.

BBC Sport understands the club are now finalising registration for their three summer recruits, which requires Premier League, Football League and Football Association of Wales approval. And the Bluebirds now hope to register goalkeeper Tom Heaton and loan midfield duo Jason Koumas and Danny Drinkwater with the Football League on Friday so the trio are eligible for Sunday's Championship opener with Sheffield United.

And manager Jones can bolster his defeated Championship play-off finalists as he bids to make it third time lucky as Cardiff chase their Premier League dream.

"It has been frustrating for everybody," said Jones. "But the club worked hard to get it removed and we are grateful for it."

Cardiff, who remain between £15m and £30m in debt, suffered their first transfer embargo at the end of last season yet still qualified for the Championship play-off final.

The Bluebirds faced five winding-up orders at the High Court over an unpaid £1.9m debt to the taxman before it as ultimately cleared in June.

Now Cardiff face a fresh winding-up order at the High Court on 11 August over this new £1.3m PAYE bill.

But the Championship club claim the debt is paid - and the Football League's relaxing of the embargo would to back that up - but Cardiff will need to attend the High Court in London for the HMRC action to be formally dismissed.

The delay in lodging end of-year accounts and because of money owed to the brokers of defender Mark Hudson's £1m move from Charlton to Cardiff last summer also accounted for the Football League sanction.

But Jenkins is delighted that the embargo has been lifted so Jones can strengthen his squad before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

"It has been challenging but we are pleased the embargo has been lifted," Cardiff chief executive Gethin Jenkins told BBC Sport

"It means we can register the players we've already brought in. "And Dave Jones will now come forward with a list of other players he is looking to recruit to strengthen the playing squad.

LordSheep

"Our aim is to keep the starting XI from last season and Dave and I hope to add to that list."

Cardiff have been linked with a move for Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Andy Keogh and although Jones would not confirm his targets, the manager now hopes to sign reinforcements in time for their visit to Derby County on Saturday week.

"The embargo being lifted is too late for us to get the players in we want for Sunday's game," said Jones.

"But hopefully next week we can move a bit quicker and start to register some players that we are trying to get."

But Jenkins, Cardiff's recently acquired chief executive who arrived from the Newport Gwent Dragons rugby region in May, has warned the club could suffer a third transfer ban.

"We will have to face further challenges and we're fully aware of them," said Jenkins.

"And we will meet them head on to bring the business onto a strong commercial and financial footing. Then hopefully we can grow the team and grow the business." "But we can't rule out another embargo, that is certainly a possibility."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...ity/8890430.stm

Published: 2010/08/06 09:46:16 GMT

© BBC MMX

Ceefax reports Cardiff's transfer ban has been lifted as all their debts have been settled.

The transfer ban was imposed due to a delay in paying debts, including £1.3m owed to HM Revenue and Customs.

A Bluebirds website statement read: "All obligations have been met."

Good news for us ?

Keane won't be there much longer if he repeats last year's early season misery. Having said that, I would like to see Roscoe play at Portman Road. The Tractor Boys are my English team, so seeing Roscoe there *and* seeing Motherwell receive some the Coach dosh would be good news all round.

Have I missed something or has this been resolved??

If not, Pay Up Cardif!!!!

If Cardiff are being allowed to do other business whilst still owing money for previous transfers then that stinks. The FA (and probably SFA) are happy to sit and watch clubs go under and at the same time put other club in the same position. I know at the end of the day its a business deal between two businesses but there should be some rules in place that state you must settle debts to other clubs within a defined time period. Although I accept that would piss off other possible debtors such as HMRC.

That said - give us our cash!!!

If Cardiff are being allowed to do other business whilst still owing money for previous transfers then that stinks. The FA (and probably SFA) are happy to sit and watch clubs go under and at the same time put other club in the same position. I know at the end of the day its a business deal between two businesses but there should be some rules in place that state you must settle debts to other clubs within a defined time period. Although I accept that would piss off other possible debtors such as HMRC.

That said - give us our cash!!!

Much as I would love Cardiff to pay up - we're not really the best placed club to be preaching about paying debts (football or otherwise) off in full - as many fans of other clubs have pointed out in many other forums.

If we get it great

Much as I would love Cardiff to pay up - we're not really the best placed club to be preaching about paying debts (football or otherwise) off in full - as many fans of other clubs have pointed out in many other forums.

If we get it great

First of all, I don't see anybody preaching. I seem to recall the club's official statement being sensitive to the fact that we had found ourselves in a similar situation.

Secondly, Motherwell and Cardiff are both businesses. When we went into administration there were certain legal (and league) obligations we we required to fulfill. Whether you agree with them or not, we did meet them. All we are asking is Cardiff do the same.

First of all, I don't see anybody preaching. I seem to recall the club's official statement being sensitive to the fact that we had found ourselves in a similar situation.

Secondly, Motherwell and Cardiff are both businesses. When we went into administration there were certain legal (and league) obligations we we required to fulfill. Whether you agree with them or not, we did meet them. All we are asking is Cardiff do the same.

You could argue with yer shadow man!

i wasn't referring to the club statement. However i stand by my post and would suggest that most of our financial obligations were unfulfilled when we entered administration and that remains a fact. Contractors, staff, players directors money remains unpaid - so as supporters the high ground will be 'elusive' on this one

That said, Cardiff are still trading - albeit with well documented problems and we have gone public re a late substantial payment and it seems a bit unfortunate they they are entering into such a high cost agreement with late bills to pay. Hence i hope they pay us the money we're owed.

You could argue with yer shadow man!

i wasn't referring to the club statement. However i stand by my post and would suggest that most of our financial obligations were unfulfilled when we entered administration and that remains a fact. Contractors, staff, players directors money remains unpaid - so as supporters the high ground will be 'elusive' on this one

If you read (and understand) what I said, you will see you are wrong. Motherwell complied with *all* of their legal obligations as required by a Scottish football club that enters administration. You can argue the rules are unfair but that is for a different thread.

All we are asking is that Cardiff comply with their legal (and league) obligations. If that means we get 10p in the pound, then so be it.

(Oh, and I still don't see any preaching, even in this thread).

If we get it great

I actually agree with your thoughts but at the end of the day its a business and the 'Well come first.

As weeyin stated, I would be happy with 10p to the pound as its better than sod all.

If you read (and understand) what I said, you will see you are wrong. Motherwell complied with *all* of their legal obligations as required by a Scottish football club that enters administration. You can argue the rules are unfair but that is for a different thread.

All we are asking is that Cardiff comply with their legal (and league) obligations. If that means we get 10p in the pound, then so be it.

(Oh, and I still don't see any preaching, even in this thread).

Yeah - I *read* and *understood* it the first time. i just said none of us were best placed to *preach* to Cardiff about it.

i didn't accuse anyone in particular of preaching - if you can point me in the direction of who that was tho - I'll PM them a heartfelt apology.

Excuse me I'm away to split a hair elsewhere.

I actually agree with your thoughts but at the end of the day its a business and the 'Well come first.

As weeyin stated, I would be happy with 10p to the pound as its better than sod all.

Oh FFS - I agree too and as Cardiff are not in administration we're due the money in full.

That wasn't the point I was making. It was about our attitude to payment - not whether we were due it.

BTW - 10p in the pound when their still *solvent* - Fuck Off!