Still Don't Care About Europe?

Stu

With the excitement of last night's game and now the build-up to the play-off round draw, it's been a brilliant 24 hours to be a Motherwell fan.

All those who wanted Ross County to win the Scottish Cup, do you still feel disinterested towards our qualification for Europe?!

All those who wanted Ross County to win the Scottish Cup, do you still feel disinterested towards our qualification for Europe?!

No, I'm enjoying our European games. Still would rather Ross County had won the Scottish Cup though. I consider us being in Europe as a pleasant side effect of a bad result.

Now away and find something else to carp on about...

No, I'm enjoying our European games. Still would rather Ross County had won the Scottish Cup though.
Lies. You would have been on here moaning about the lack of Euro cash needed to bring in players to our "Paper Thin Squad" (copyright - every panicking poster on here). :P

But what if we hadnt gotten that pen for the dive in the last game against rangers??
if we had not been cheated against rangers at FP, then we would have had 3 points there instead of one, so if we hadn't gotten the penalty at ibrox, we would still have abeen a point better off.

With the excitement of last night's game and now the build-up to the play-off round draw, it's been a brilliant 24 hours to be a Motherwell fan.

Who said anything about being "disinterested".

Whilst Dundee Utd were rightly lauded for finishing 3rd and the media hype surrounding Hibs and Motherwell's fight for 4th. Even back at the end of the season I believed that finishing 5th and qualifying for Europe was probably the best outcome for all 3 teams.

Firstly you get 90,000 Euros for each round which almost makes up for the SPL cash for finishing 1 place lower. But most importantly we got to warm up against fairly mediocre opponents in Breidablik. I am quite sure if like Hibs we had our first competitive game v Aalesund we could well have lost.

Now we have played 4 games before we play Odense. They are undoubted favourites and should win over the 2 legs, but the fact we have played 4 competitive Euro games will hopefully make up some of the difference in quality between the two teams. Meanwhile DDee Utd get to play AEK Athens in their 1st competitive games.

So in summary the Well will have enjoyed 6 Euro games and the associated benefits, both Hibs and possibly DDee Utd will only get 2. Hope I am wrong and DDee Utd win of course but the odds are against them.

In summary I think there is a fair argument to want to finish in the lowest Euro qualifying place in the SPL.

I can't be arsed trailing through the old threads to find names and exact quotes, but I know what I read. I'm not saying everyone who wanted Ross County to win was "disinterested" with Europe, which is what I think you're hinting at.

I found it staggering at the time how anyone could want Ross County to win when it would have cost us a place in Europe. Nothing's changed. This thread wasn't created to wind anyone up, despite what Melvin thinks. I was genuinely interested to hear how those people felt now, in the midst of this exciting European adventure.

Never been one to disagree with you - mainly because of your height...

But I don't get it. A Ross County win would have meant we would not have had a night like last night, we would not have been able to get 6 games in europe with the potential for 2m+ Euros in the (unlikely) event we qualify for the group stages. These are arguably the most important games we have played since the 1991 and 2005 cup finals.

Had a Ross Co win meant nothing to Motherwell then I would have been in full agreement. But it did not. But as you say each to their own.

In May, nights like last Thursday's were all ifs and buts. I favoured County to win after their heroics at Easter Road, and stuck with them thereafter. I like to see different teams take the honours, it's good for the domestic game. It would have been nice for the folks of Ross & Cromarty to experience what I did in 1991. Perhaps was their one and only chance in a lifetime tbh.

I'll take the stick on the chin, but I called it as I felt it at the time.

To be honest, last season I thought getting into Europe via the Fair Play League was a bit of a red neck, I like to achieve things on merit, this season was a bit more merited, but if getting in via a loophole means European nights at Fir Park rather than a "glamour" friendly against Wolves or West Brom where you could hear a pin drop, I'll take that everytime!

i dunno about that, when you see a team like holland ruin the world cup final with foul play or teams like united, hearts and hibs and hibs kick their way up the league without any punishment then i don't think it's a bad thing that teams who play the game fairly are rewarded in some way.

I can't be arsed trailing through the old threads to find names and exact quotes, but I know what I read. I'm not saying everyone who wanted Ross County to win was "disinterested" with Europe, which is what I think you're hinting at.

I found it staggering at the time how anyone could want Ross County to win when it would have cost us a place in Europe. Nothing's changed. This thread wasn't created to wind anyone up, despite what Melvin thinks. I was genuinely interested to hear how those people felt now, in the midst of this exciting European adventure.

That thread came about because some posters (myself included)were happy to see Celtic getting cuffed in their champions league match.I stand by my opinions in that thread, if i have to sit and hope any other team except Motherwell wins then i'm not that bothered to be honest.I also know from experience that this point of view is deemed unacceptable but thats how i feel.