Motherwell Players For Scotland

prideoflanarkshire

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nurse ! :rolleyes:

You need one if you don't think he's walk into our team. He might not be the best defender Scotland has ever produced, but if he was as bad as his legend has made him out to be he'd have long since been punted out of Ibrox. Is prone to odd gaff and doesn't exactly exude grace but a player we couldn't even dream of getting.

Not exactly keen to see him play for Scotland mind you.

Just out of interest....players who have been called up to Scotland after sealing Old Firm move in the last 15/20 years (that I can think of) and probably derved it IMO...

K. Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Miller, Whittaker, Naismith, Boyd, Webster, Gary Caldwell, Uncle Phil, John Collins, Lambert, Tom Boyd, Tosh McKinlay, Pressley, Hartley

....as for those who don't....

Broadfoot, Danny Fox, Steven Thompson, Mark Wilson, Neil McCann, Jonathon Gould, Pearson, Darren Jackson, Paul Telfer, Gordon Marshall, Dave MacPherson, Ian Murray, Gavin Rae, Paul Ritchie,

...and those who got in the team because they were at the Old Firm but were nowhere near good enough...

Crainey, Maurice Ross, Mark Burchill, Jamie Smith, Brian O'Neil, Chris Burke, Donnelly, Beattie

No doubt we will see Ricky Foster and Mulgrew sniffing about the team now as well. Plus all of the Old Firm "wonderkids" like Jamie Forrest and John Fleck will be touted every time they play a good pass.

You need one if you don't think he's walk into our team. He might not be the best defender Scotland has ever produced, but if he was as bad as his legend has made him out to be he'd have long since been punted out of Ibrox. Is prone to odd gaff and doesn't exactly exude grace but a player we couldn't even dream of getting.

Not exactly keen to see him play for Scotland mind you.

Mate I know it all about opinions and you are 100% entitled to yours, but he isn't even a footballer. Looked not bad at St Midden but since moving to wankgers he has been a bombscare. No idea what Smith sees in him. He is dire and following your logic Bob Malcolm must have been a player, (I know we signed him too but that doesn't make him any better).

Never mind dreaming of him playing for us, that would be a nightmare.

There are loads of international players that aren't "international class". A shit load of them played at the world cup.

Our captain is also one and is about to win his 50th cap tonight.

The original poster is talking about "Scotland class" and that is also up for debate. I would have Reynolds before McManus but that is only my opinion.

Why would we accept a bid and leave our already threadbare squad even worse?
That wasn't my point. I was responding to your comment that if he was international class, why did Swansea only offer 200k. The answer is because they thought they could get him on the cheap - a bit like Accies with their offer for Murphy last year, or Rangers when they tried to get Skippy on the cheap. Motherwell obviously rate Reynolds higher than that (maybe even international class) so won't sell him cut price.

Our International team should bite the bullet and start playing the younger players like Reynolds now, even if we dont qualify for the nexst tournament or 2, we will be no worse off than we are now and it will give us a chance to establish a younger stronger team for the future.

Not saying that I disagree with you on this one, but it's very easy for us to sit here & say that, our jobs aren't on the line. George Burley got one campaign in charge, made an arse of it & got punted, Levein will be exactly the same. They only get about 8games a year & don't even have much time to experiment with formations, never mind throwing youngsters in there. I would be all for giving a manager 5years & saying "build us a team that can compete for 10,15,20 years to come" but I don't think the SFA have the bottle & even if they do, Levein is not the man for that IMO.

On topic, I would agree with most that Reynolds & Murphy are the only first-team guys in with a shout of playing for Scotland as things stand.

Murphy has been tearing it up in the 21s & just needs to keep developing, but when you look at Reynolds you see that positive development is far from a given. 2-3years ago he looked like he was destined for big things, but I don't see where he has improved in that time. He still isn't strong enough as a centre-half (for me anyway), his distribution is average at best & he often looks lost without Craigan beside him. It's frustrating too because a left-sided centre-half with pace & the ability to read the game reasonably well is a rare thing & there's no doubt that if he improved on a few areas he could easily go on to play for Scotland. May just be that he needs a move to kick-start his career, will be shame that in all likelihood we won't benefit financially when that comes.

Aye but would he not have spent 5years (at least) in schools in Scotland while his old boy was elbowing Brian Martin's face? Thought that was the new rule!

Nope. He was born in '89, Mark Hateley left Rangers in '95, and he only came back to Scotland for another season at Rangers in '97, and one at Ross County in '99. So Tom would've been at school in Scotland probably 3 years at most, assuming Mark even moved his family to Scotland every time, which I doubt.

We would be worse off though. Its the route that wales took and they've been dropping so far down the rankings that despite having some half way to decent players, because they're seeded in low pots they'll never get out of it, because they get lumped in with 2-3 good teams.

Aye but would he not have spent 5years (at least) in schools in Scotland while his old boy was elbowing Brian Martin's face? Thought that was the new rule!
Nah, they even changed that rule to make sure Driver got in. It started off as 5 years in schools, but when they discovered that he had spent less that 5 years there, they changed it to "in the Scottish education system", so some cookery classes that Driver took at night school, or whatever, when he was a player at Hearts suddenly made him eligible.

I discussed something along these lines with the idiotic panel that make up the Clyde-H*n Phone In. Something along the lines of Old Firm buy in foreign rejects/duds and relegate home grown players to the bench, yet these players, now used in bit-part roles, still get picked for Scotland before 'better suited' players from the smaller teams. They're response was of the typically non-sensical nature you'd expect from ex-OF players and journos who would be out of a job if it wasn't for the OF.

I disagree re Hammell in the sense that I don't think he's good enough to play for Scotland (he has the complete inability to play a simple pass with his right foot when required and stops forward movements as a result; and he isn't really all that as a defender in the tackling sense). BUT he is a FAR better player overall than Broadfoot, so if that nugget can get in the squad it begs lots of questions.

Reynolds should be in the squad at least, if not the starting line-up. He's been solid and has gradually improved in ability and experience/decision making over the years. If he moved to Wigan or Swansea etc, he would be in the squad in an instant.

Lasley... meh.... I like him TBH, but his terrier like enthusiasm wouldn't cut it at the higher levels demanded of an international. I could run about and chop away as much as him but it wouldn't get me a place in the team.

All IMO of course ;)

sounds like a certain prem striker by the name of steven fletcher and also watching the game tonight seen darren fletcher continually hitting with the side of his right boot instead of using his left

Proving that playing for the Old Firm gets you a call up....

Never heard of Danny Fox , he signs for Sellik gets an instant call up , leaves to go to another club ( no idea where he's gone ) no more caps!!!!

Logic old firm signs you , you must be good enough for Scotland.

You can add Mike Galloway, Joe Craig, Simon Donnelly, Ronnie Glavin, Kirk Broadfoot, Stewart Kennedy, and Brian O'Neill to the list of Old Firm players who were capped purely through playing for the Old Firm.

Stewart Kennedy is the worst 'keeper I have ever seen in a Scotland jersey, the rest are mainly one cap wonders, but Donnelly and Broadfoot one wonders how they got capped.

Very tidy player is danny fox, great left peg, scottish grandpa, looked good at both celtic and burnley last season. Can't understand how he missed out in favour of broadfoot and mcaveley.

Out of all the Motherwell players Reynolds is the only one I would say could get into the Scotland squad. Unfortunatley in the last few months he has been prone to some major gaffs and this is probably why he isn't in the squad. If he can get his form back then I see no reason why he shouldn't be in the squad.

Murphy if he continues his so far impressive career then he will be knocking on the door, but still got a long way to go.

Lasley - not a chance.

Hammell - not a chance.

have agreed with comments like this when theyve been posted but just thought judging by recent form, which should be the basis on which players are picked not there reputation or club, murphy should be in that scotland squad instead of naismith

I'm enjoying this thread!

One 'Well player who didn't earn enough caps was Brian Martin, pure class on the ball and greta at reading the game. Although I think he had pretty stiff competition for a slot in central defence around his time. I've not reserached this but I think he only got a couple of caps in friendlies?

As for the current team Reynolds and Murphy have a lot of potential but need to bulk out a little bit. At Motherwell players are only ever going to get in the squad if they are performing exceptionally well every week. Otherwise the management will look to experience and those that are testing themselves against higher quality opposition on a regular basis.

I still like Ross Forbes although he needs to work on his pace and fitness. He is the best passer of the ball at Fir Park in a while. If he works at his game he could be cracking in a season or two. He's not ready yet though.

As for Lasley - no chance. What does this guy do to get forum members creaming their pants over him? Please tell me in detail and provide examples. I don't remember him bossing a midfield in a big game, or taking a scrappy game by the scruff of the neck or providing killer through balls and he certainly isn't a regular goalscorer.

So to mention him in terms of getting a call up for Scotland...

As for Lasley - no chance. What does this guy do to get forum members creaming their pants over him? Please tell me in detail and provide examples. I don't remember him bossing a midfield in a big game, or taking a scrappy game by the scruff of the neck or providing killer through balls and he certainly isn't a regular goalscorer.

So to mention him in terms of getting a call up for Scotland...

I do agree with you, but Scott Brown gets a game for Scotland.