Vs Brechin 21/09/2010

Finlay

Looking forward to another trip to Brechin after the 3-1 friendly win there in July. Livingston beat Brechin 3-1 at Glebe Park at the weekend so hopefully a good sign. After a promising start in the Second Division, Brechin are now sitting 4th in the table. Their record is P6 W2 D3 L1. They are currently 5 points away from leaders Livingston.

I expect us to go to Brechin and win. Anything else would be a TOTAL DISASTER. I'd also hope to win this tie by two clear goals but this is Motherwell we are talking about so I'd be more than happy with a 1-0 away win.

The Hateley at left back experiment was worth a go but I'd be reluctant to play it again. Reynolds is a good centre half but I'd play him at LB until Hammell returns.

I'd go with;

Randolph

Hateley Craigan Saunders Reynolds

Humphrey Forbes Jennings Gow

Blackman Murphy

I think Gow should get close to or the full 90 minutes to help with his fitness and to see what he could offer the team in a competitive match. I think Sutton needs a 'rest' as he hasn't been playing too well recently. I'd also give Lasley a place on the bench but that is only to keep him fresh for Hearts at the weekend. I think we will prove too strong for Brechin over the 90 minutes. I hope so anyway as I have work at 7am the next day and don't fancy ET or the lottery of penalty kicks. 3-0 Motherwell and a place in the Quarter Final Draw.......whenever that is.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with;

Randolph

Hateley Craigan Saunders Reynolds

Humphrey Forbes Jennings Gow

Blackman Murphy

I think Gow should get close to or the full 90 minutes to help with his fitness and to see what he could offer the team in a competitive match. I think Sutton needs a 'rest' as he hasn't been playing too well recently. I'd also give Lasley a place on the bench but that is only to keep him fresh for Hearts at the weekend. I think we will prove too strong for Brechin over the 90 minutes. I hope so anyway as I have work at 7am the next day and don't fancy ET or the lottery of penalty kicks. 3-0 Motherwell and a place in the Quarter Final Draw.......whenever that is.

That looks a good team to be fare, although some might say use this as a trial game, i reckon lets go strong and win the match. I like the idea of Forbes and Gow, should open a few doors... Well done Finlay... fully agree with your selection.

Looking forward to this one too. Enjoyed the trip to Brechin in pre-season and something similar scorewise would do nicely.

Brechin shouldn't be underestimated ofcourse but it should provide Brown with the opportunity to give Gow a full game and the likes of Forbes and perhaps Page some further game time, whilst still ensuring safe passage in the Quarters.

I think Brown has shown (Paisley and Killie spring to mind) in the past that he's willing to gamble on selection with a view to keeping players fresh when there's an arguably bigger game on the horizon and with Tynecastle coming up on Saturday I get a feeling this could another.

Motherwell by a couple be that 2-0 or 3-1.

Is just got the five subbies for this tourney, or have they upped it to seven?

I feel we should make a couple of changes to freshen the side up a little, and I do like the look of Finlay's team although I might select Page ahead of Craigan, just to give the auld geezer a rest!

We should be okay tomorrow night, but I don't think it'll be a breeze. A two goal victory will do me, and probably sounds about right too.

I was looking forward to this. I'd got the time off work (hawf day) and was fully intending driving up.

The urge has totally gone and have absolutely no interest in this game whatsoever.

Quite an alarming turnaround.

Me too actually - the thought of driving back down in the pissing dark from Brechin on a school night is giving me the fear and I am fully giving it a body swerve after being initialy quite excited about the game.

Midnightish. I did it for the friendly and we got home about 1220 but we got food before we left and it was incredibly wet so much so I could barely see so I wasn't driving at full speed all the way.

As for the game Two or three changes to keep it fresh and also to give people like Gow, Forbes, Page and Fitzpatrick a bit of game time as we'll need these guys at some point during the SPL but not wholesale changes as this competition can earn us some money, either through telly money or a Hampden appearance so to disrespect them and go out would not be clever. But the guys listed are still good enough for us to go through if we play as we can.

not sure about meeting Dunfermline in the next round but a home tie against ICT would be a good match

Don't want to get to into a debate about who we want in the next round when this tie's still to be won but Inverness? No thanks!

Part of the attraction of Brechin (albeit tempered slightly since we played them pre-season) is that it isn't a team you face every year. Given that we had ICT in both competitions last year and will have a minimum of three games against in the league this year I'll happily pass on them, ta.

I would go with

----------------------------Randolph-------------------

Hateley-----------Craigan-----------Saunders--------Reynolds

Humphery--------Jennings-----------Forbes----------Gow

-----------------McHugh------------Sutton

Give players like Murphy and Lasley a break for Sat and try out younger players.

2-0 Well with Gow and McHugh scoring

Reckon we may see the Maltese boy tonight at LB. He can play anywhere in the back 4, no?

Fink he's a cypriot no a malteser, but i'd be happy if we played anybody wi a left foot.

Saturday was poor decision making and reminiscent of the way broon managed the scotland team where he'd happily play one of the regular 11 drastically out of position instead of bringing in a left footed fringe player (i.e. Fitzy) or moving say reynolds to lb and using saunders and page in the cb and rb berths