Vs Brechin 21/09/2010

Finlay

By the sound of things we rode our luck a little and with a half decent striker Brechin would have scored a couple. But they did not, just like we did not against Odense.

Any win in a cup is most welcome, especially when we have been on the end of so many upsets over the years.

Well done Page - what a goal machine. One wonders whether he will edge in to the 1st team a little more often this season.

The white away strip is really growing on me. Looks really GOOD. Bit like Real madrid :rolleyes: Plus with 3 away wins - is it a lucky strip? Here's hoping it continues onto Saturday v Jambos.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a great deal to be said about the performance, Brechin should have equalised after Half- time! 2 very decent headers, any striker would have been proud of from Page, capped a MOM display.

Gow wasn`t up to much, but give him time. Blackman unlucky with good shot 2nd half.

Couldny believe it was the Craig Nelson in goals for Brechin! Thought he retired when the Tennents 6`s had finished!!

Good to get in the next round, glad we did it within the 90, but against a better side, reckon we would have struggled tonight.

Roll on Thursday!

we were lucky - and they were unlucky not to grab AT LEAST one goal

Page was playing LB for the poster who asked

and as for Gow not up to much, i think thats a little harsh - time and time again, he came short to look for the ball - shouting and screaming for it, and never got it. The amount of times we gave the ball away, instead of passing and finding a man was unbelievable - against a better team we might have been punished. at times brechin shamed us, and showed how to pass the ball and keep possession

Nelson in goals played not to bad at all, you heard him screaming all night giving out instructions and pulled off a great save from Gow

all in all, you can only beat whats in front of you so we're in the next round and that was the aim - i'll take st.j at home - falkirk appear to be playing very well just now and could cause another upset

Not long in from the game, felt underwhelmed with that win tonight but its the cup and aslong as you win thats all that matters. Brechin deserved abit more than what they got but I'm sure we'll all happily have the clean sheet and the victory :D A home draw against anyone apart from the old firm will do me.

i wasn't able to make the game last night (or saturday) but looking at the team we put out last night any kind of two nil win isn't to be sniffed at. we had a defence out that had played about 40 mins together, a midfield that had never played together and a striker making his starting debut. i'm not really suprised we didn't have much cohesion.

Dreadful game, some hilarious chat though and the soup at Brechin is fuckin brilliant.

Felt a bit sorry for Gow, but at least we know he's not worth playing up top on his own, didn't win a header all night, but the one time he got the ball at his feet he almost went through about 4 Brechin defenders. Two cracking headers from Page, especially after the crack on the heid he got in the first half.

Not much quality on show, but a good result. Thought Saunders had a superb game.

He struggled a bit. He was getting a bit of stick from the crowd, and gave the ball away a few times. Maybe would have done better with Blackman or Sutton playing as the front man as he'd be playing on the knockdowns that Gow was never going to win. Brechin packed the midfield a fair bit and he didn't really have much time on the ball though. Pretty average performance from him.

I thought we were markedly better when Jennings came on, he's far more comfortable to have the ball at his feet than anyone else in our Midfield.

I'm not convinced that Gow ever was played as a lone frontman last night. As I saw it both he and Blackman were played as a front two, albeit a front two that never quite clicked as a partnership on the night.

I think thisGRAEME summed up Gow's display perfectly. When the ball was routinely played in the air to him he didn't look impressive at all but the one shot I remember him having he had forced a decent save from Nelson and he looked much more at ease with the ball at his feet. Still early days yet but first impressions are that we either play him wide left and look for him to be more of a creator if we're going to play him as a striker then hit and hope punts up the park have to be kept to a minimum.

We got our goals at important times and stood tall when the need arose in and around our box when it counted. A goal for them could have made it very awkward indeed mind you.

You always want to win and do it with some style but set against some of the League Cup results we've had in the last 20 years, last night's result is more than acceptable.

And aye, the soup was the business!!

Enjoyed my trip to visit a ground I hadn't been at before but we were pretty lucky not to concede and it was a bit worrying a 2nd division side created much more than we did. They had about half a dozen really good chances and only a combination of very good goalkeeping, last minute challenges and poor finishing prevented them from scoring.

Anyway, we're through, 2 great headers from Page (wasn't far away with an earlier attempt either) and I had a great fish supper from the chippy round the corner so I shouldn't moan too much.

I forgot that we also took the worst free kick from the edge of the box I will probably see this season. With Forbes, Hateley and Lasley around the ball they somehow decided to tap it between each other to set it up for Lasley who then stood on the ball, allowing a Brechin player to take it off him and run upfield , setting up a break-away. Why they thought it was a good idea to tee up Lasley for a shot, when the other two have at least scored from free-kicks, I have no idea.

Much from Forbes last night?

According to the official, he was playing behind Gow in a 4231 formation. Delighted to see he is getting the opportunity to play behind a striker albeit Gow is never a lone striker. If anything I think him and Forbes should be battling it out for the same position...

From the groans and abuse I heard last night I think I may be on my own on this one, but I thought Forbes looked very promising in that position.

He played four or five very clever balls, some out wide, one through the middle for Gow to set up his jinking run, and a number of simpler ones slid to Blackman. Unfortunately Blackman had a bit of a shocker in the wider position and took every opportunity to run straight into his man.

If given a run in the team in that position in the hole behind the striker(s) Forbes will really come on to a game, the only problem being if 2 or 3 of his passes don't come off the crowd start losing the plot.

I forgot that we also took the worst free kick from the edge of the box I will probably see this season. With Forbes, Hateley and Lasley around the ball they somehow decided to tap it between each other to set it up for Lasley who then stood on the ball, allowing a Brechin player to take it off him and run upfield , setting up a break-away. Why they thought it was a good idea to tee up Lasley for a shot, when the other two have at least scored from free-kicks, I have no idea.

That was my highlight of the evening, comedy gold.

I think it looked like Lasley came over to keep the peace as Forbes and Hately were arguing over who took the free kick. Taking the initiative Keith told them to set it up for him, only realising at the last minute that he didn't have a clue how to take a free kick and tripped over the ball.

Seeing as we were 2-0 up at the time it was genius, if we'd have been chasing the game I'd have been raging

Fuck ma bunnet! - Sounds like playing on the deck continues to be an elusive pipe dream

There were some amount of long balls punted up the park by Craigan and Reynolds to a slightly bemused Gow on his own. :cheers:

I can't imagine that was the gaffers plan, unless he brought Gow in for that legendary Aerial Ability.