Main Stand

Mad Mac

No the old Main Stand was a corrugated iron structure which was demolished round about 1960 I think. Rumour has it that the new stand, a completely new structure, was built on the proceeds of Ian St John's theft sorry transfer.

I'm sure I saw a pic where the new stand was being built around the existing structure, maybe not the original first ever Main Stand but certainly it would suggest the current stand wasn't totally built from scratch.

I think that's the photo that was in John Swinburne's 'History of the Steelman' book

EDIT: I think this is courtesy of big Special

MainStandOld2New.jpg

:mellow: That's the one. Not saying the one that's there would be the original so the previous poster could still be correct in that the original corrugated iron structure was demolished to make way for that.

Keep noticing 'the main stand' keeps getting referred to as 'the main stand.' I understand some are sticklers for tradition but can we please try and remember that it is now the Phil O'donnell stand. I dont think its too much to ask. I'm not even meaning from a respectful point of view. Its just not called the main stand anymore.

Keep noticing 'the main stand' keeps getting referred to as 'the main stand.' I understand some are sticklers for tradition but can we please try and remember that it is now the Phil O'donnell stand. I dont think its too much to ask. I'm not even meaning from a respectful point of view. Its just not called the main stand anymore.

To be fair when all this was going on it was the Main stand.

I sometimes call it the main stand as that's what it was for 40 years of my life. And I sometimes call it the Phil O'Donnell Stand as that's what it's called now - and I like that because it's a fitting tribute to a wonderful player and club servant.

To be brutally honest, like most other people, that's just the way my mind works. It'll always be either or for me - and I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with that.

If you do - you're a grade one pedantic fanny

Och wheesht!!!! :D

You've got to be kiddin :cheers:

I sometimes call it the main stand as that's what it was for 40 years of my life. And I sometimes call it the Phil O'Donnell Stand as that's what it's called now - and I like that because it's a fitting tribute to a wonderful player and club servant.

To be brutally honest, like most other people, that's just the way my mind works. It'll always be either or for me - and I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with that.

If you do - you're a grade one pedantic fanny

No, I'm not a pedantic fanny. As I dont consider myself to be taking issue with something minor.

I also made it clear in my post that I am willing to accept excuses from traditionalists, and those who are just used to calling it the main stand. Like yourself SteveDiggle.

I read this forum and I was surprised it wasn't called the POD stand in any reference to it. So I just wanted to set that right. And I have. My personal fitting tribute to a wonderful player if you like. I have no further interest in it than that.

Isn't it possible that the frame of the new structure is superimposed on top of a pic of the original stand.

Story I got was the club tried to buy the first two houses in that row but the owners refused. club then decided to build the main support anyway in the hope the land would come available to them sometime in the future.

Did they not own the first house at one time? I seem to remember it being used as the ticket office for a time in the eighties.