Announcement Within The Next 48 Hours...

Onthefringes

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loans (visible), paying of certain wages (invisible) - other costs? who knows.

if we say that in a press release then I'm pretty sure there's some serious bailing out going on

i'm not 100% sure but i think that kind of thing would be illegal. players have to be paid through the club and everything has to be declared in the accounts. the audited accounts say that we've earned £120k more than we've spent over the past 5 years reported and i tend to believe that rather than vague statements about JB keeping us above water.

as we don't have a bank overdraft i'd imagine boyle would be acting as that for us very preferentially, if he is stepping away that's something that the rbs guy could hopefully sort out.

i'm not 100% sure but i think that kind of thing would be illegal. players have to be paid through the club and everything has to be declared in the accounts. the audited accounts say that we've earned £120k more than we've spent over the past 5 years reported and i tend to believe that rather than vague statements about JB keeping us above water.

as we don't have a bank overdraft i'd imagine boyle would be acting as that for us very preferentially, if he is stepping away that's something that the rbs guy could hopefully sort out.

Accounts show, if my memory serves me correctly, a rather substantial outstanding loan to a director and it doesn't take a genius to work out who that is.

I'm sure that's being repayed on terms that are favourable to the club - it might even mention something about those terms in the accounts also - but I suppose you could contest that should that loan ever be called in quick smart the level of support would be evident in the accounts pretty quickly.

A move outside of Motherwell will see smaller crowds, especially if it's located in a ''nowheresville' like Ravenscraig.

As for the fanciful nonsense about any new stadium being of architectural merit - dream on.

'Securing the clubs future for 100 years?' I'll take that with a pinch of salt. Will there even be professional football in Scottish provincial towns a generation from now? I don't think anyone can answer that question, never mind three or four generations into the future.

And, yeah, I am in a bad mood. :)

A move outside of Motherwell will see smaller crowds, especially if it's located in a ''nowheresville' like Ravenscraig.

I really don't get this argument at all. Many of our fans already travel miles to home games and an extra one or so for some (less travelling for others like me) is neither here nor there. If some can't be bothered to travel an extra mile or so to support their team in superior facilities then it really doesn't say much for them as supporters.

I really don't get this argument at all. Many of our fans already travel miles to home games and an extra one or so for some (less travelling for others like me) is neither here nor there. If some can't be bothered to travel an extra mile or so to support their team in superior facilities then it really doesn't say much for them as supporters.

To an extend i agree with you but you have to also take into account the amount of fans that for talk sake go to Jack Daniels, Fir park club, New century etc etc , a lot of they people make up a large amount of our fan base and they have done that for years as they are all in close walking distance to the ground.

Also for the ones not old enough to go for a beer before the games a lot of them prob stay near fir park and have a short walk to the ground but if its away up at Ravenscraig that might put a few parents off letting them go as its in a kind of no mans land at the minute.

Personally id love to stay at fir park as it simply would not be the same watching a Motherwell team anyware else at a home game . ( no thanks to a pishy plasic stadium for me )

JT.

Coming from so far away Dave you obviously don't get the thinking of those from the town itself. We're used to having our team play in our town, in fact there's a degree of pride in it, just a short walk up the road. If we move up the Craig all of a sudden it's a bus trip or train journey, no longer in our town, no longer our club, that could be the change required to piss a few off. To them it's like going to an away game and that will cost us fans IMO, fans from the town of Motherwell.

That scenario will happen and the part highlighted, well I'm surprised to hear you saying that without thinking it through. Folk like my old man, 76 years old, lifelong fan and season ticket holder since the 70s. His club move outwith the town, miles away from the social club he's visited pre-match for all of that time. Needs to get a bus to home games, you not think the potential is there for him to say "Fuck it I'll just sit here and watch the racing" a very real possibility I'd say. Plenty fans go to home games only cos they're just up the road.

It's not all cut and dried, there's more to think about than the obvious logistics/benefits.

I would be all for re-developing Fir park. In fact that would be my preference. But it is most probably a no go for many reasons. The primary one being the finance that would be raised from selling the ground for housing or retail. Then you have logistics. Re-developing Fir Park would probably mean playing at Hamilton or Airdire for a season or a good part of a season. IMHO that would lead to more fans finding alternatives on a Saturday than any move to Ravenscraig.

We may well lose a few fans but I agree with dave on this point. like him I travel 60+ miles for every home game so a few extra miles would be no problem and if it is for many supporters who live locally then that would be a shame.

I love Fir Park, always will, but for progress a move away seems the more logical option.

I understand where you are coming from Fatcalf but if thats the case then surely people who stay in Carfin would be more likely to come to games. I have been coming to games from Carluke for 18 years surely if you are a supporter of your club you would make an effort to get a bus 5 min up the road. I honestly think if we build the right type of stadium all enclosed close to the park and please please not another airdrie,st johnstone,falkirk type model then the support may increase due to the atmosphere at the ground.

i have said before if we move to another Barr type souless stadium i would seriously think twice about going, i know that contradicts slightly what i have said but the thought of sitting in a breeze block stadium fills with me with dread part of our clubs appeal to me is the stadium, falling to bits it may be but it is unique and helps us get some favourable descisions especially at the east stand touchline.

Although I left Motherwell many years ago, its my home town and always will be. I think redevelopment of the Craig will be a great boost for the area but thats another argument for another place. Redevelopment of Fir Park simply isn't an option for a variety of reasons. Moving to a new stadium, most likely at Ravenscraig is the answer. That said, it has to be the right design.

I've always viewed Motherwell as being one element of a larger urban area encompassing Overtown, Wishaw, Coltness, Cambusnethan, Netherton, Newmains, Holytown, Carfin, Newarthill and so on. Ravenscraig is simply an extension of that. All towns have to grow and develop over time if they don't they wither away and die. You can't fossilize towns.

My own family came from Bellshill Road originally, but over the years they spread out to other parts of Motherwell, Netherton, Wishaw, Coltness, Carluke and Lanark and further afield and continued to support MFC. I just wonder what proportion of our support actually come from Motherwell these days.

I quite accept that a move a mile or so away will inconvenience some, and for a few (a very few) that will mean that they could no longer go to Fir Park because of age /disability or whatever. For that I'll be genuinely sorry. By the same token though for some fans it might be nearer their home and for many others it will be the same distance. A new stadium would also attract new fans living close by.

I also accept that for some Jack Daniels will forever be linked to MFC but years ago the same could be said for the Flemington Bar, which is now long gone. New pubs will appear and attract our support thats simply life. Like all things you either change and adapt or die. The critical thing for me is that any change benefits the Motherwell AREA, and our club.

It's all about habits, and people, especially us footy fans, don't like to change them. Most will go to the same bookies, drink in the same pub and meet the same folk every second Sat so it's understandable folk don't want change. However, in order for the club to more forward it has to come and for me the sooner the better. Once folk get into a routine of going to the new ground, wherever it may be, I'm sure it wont be long until it starts to feel like home.

I think its quite simple.

The product is shite and over priced and a fair chunk of those who go do so only through habit thesedays.

There's barely a supporters bus runs to away games now compared to days gone by , most of us know scores of folk who have gotten out of the habit of of going to the games week in week out and wont be coming back. If we move to the 'Craig we'd better hope to attract a lot of new fans because we will lose a lot of fans.

Agree wholeheartedly with Fatcalf and have had the arguement with Onthefringes many a time , the thought of playing outside of Motherwell , being bussed into home games sends shivers up my spine , "We are Motherwell" ? Not if we are playing in Carfin we arent.

Im sure 100% of Falkirk fans miss Brockville...hell even I miss it. But I doubt they feel any less like Falkirk fans now that their stadium is technically in Grangemouth. I doubt they're any less likely to go to games because of it either.

Putting the Fir Park club out of business is a good enough reason to move for me..

Think that may happen(sooner rather than later) wether we move or not but i certainly wont be glad to see it go after holding a membership for nearly twenty years

I know cost will be part of the reason but all you need to do is look at our support at Hamilton over the last two seasons to see that fatcalf has a point.

Thank you and it's an extremely valid point which should be considred carefully in the event we do put plans in place for a move. The only part of Ravenscraig which would accomodate a lesser risk is the area directly behind Dalziel Steelworks, still within walking distance from the town centre and local pubs. There s no guarantees about attracting new fans but there is one certainty that those put out by a move will stop going. To simply shrug shoulders and accuse them of being lesser fans is a huge mistake, not to mention insulting.

It needs to be done right.

We're all arguing in the dark and that's partly down to the club unfortunately.

I've never seen anything presented on what's required to redevelop Fir Park and what that actually would cost.

That would be the rebuilding of the East and the POD. It may well be - even highly likely that it would be cost prohibitive. But what are the costs and what would that redevelopment look like?

What will Ravenscraig look like?

Are we to believe that neither of these options have been evaluated and presented to the board and why are we so far back from a public discussion or declaration of intent?

I've made the point for a while now too - I find it 'unusual' that we dont have/ haven't had a long standing fund for stadium development / move.

The statement has been made that the cost to keep Fir Park running is increasing year on year. That obviously us the concern and something which should be getting addressed. If we had the choice I have no doubt we would have relocated yesterday. If plans/moves are being made then it is all very secret squirrel at this point.

The statement has been made that the cost to keep Fir Park running is increasing year on year. That obviously us the concern and something which should be getting addressed. If we had the choice I have no doubt we would have relocated yesterday. If plans/moves are being made then it is all very secret squirrel at this point.

Agreed Finlay. It's all been a bit vague. Like you say we know that we're leaking dosh to keep the place afloat - but what's the actual ball park figure to rebuild the POD. I know I'm being a nosey auld fud - but I'd like the dug to see the rabbit so to speak :O

Coming from so far away Dave you obviously don't get the thinking of those from the town itself. We're used to having our team play in our town, in fact there's a degree of pride in it, just a short walk up the road. If we move up the Craig all of a sudden it's a bus trip or train journey, no longer in our town, no longer our club, that could be the change required to piss a few off. To them it's like going to an away game and that will cost us fans IMO, fans from the town of Motherwell.

No doubt it would indeed piss a few off. Hopefully, though, any new stadium would become 'just a short walk up the road' for a whole bunch of new people who wouldn't regularly have gone to Fir Park, just as Fir Park probably became one for some who wouldn't regularly have gone to Roman Road (although I concede that both those venues were in the same town...)