Referee V Hibs

Yir Elder

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have enough good referees to be forcing ones that are decent to resign. He's been given a rather public rebuke which given the crime is probably fair punishment. More than comfortable with his appointment. But if he sends one of our guys off or give them a penalty he's an arse and should have been sacked.

It's not the actual decision he made that bothers me, it's the fact that he lied about it to an SPL manager.

That should be grounds for dismissal.

I'm more concerned about what made a professional referee feel that he had to lie. The media and some clubs/managers have made a completely intolerable atmosphere for these guys to get on with their jobs and make honest mistakes.

Not the slightest bit concerned about him refereeing our match, he'll do no worse/better than any other ref.

We don't have enough good referees to be forcing ones that are decent to resign. He's been given a rather public rebuke which given the crime is probably fair punishment. More than comfortable with his appointment. But if he sends one of our guys off or give them a penalty he's an arse and should have been sacked.

Can't agree with that at all, the man admitted he lied to an SPL manager.

His integrity is gone, no-one can possibly take anything he says at face value again. Do you think Celtic will be happy to see him appointed to any of their games in the future? He's on a hiding to nothing if he does officiate at another Celtic match, one dodgy decision against Celtic and they'll be up in arms, one dodgy decision for them and the rest of us will just think that's him squaring things with them. If Celtic, as they have every right to do, demand that he does not officiate at any more of their games then how can the rest of the league accept him at theirs. Referee's have to be seen to be beyond reproach, something McDonald can no longer claim.

Celtic cannot demand that he does not referee one of their games again. They tried that with Andy Davis and he was on the line again. Clubs can have no say in the officials who officiate for them. And Mike McCurry was never allowed a Rangers or a United game after his performance in May 07. He did another full season and nobody from any other club publicly voiced any dissent about it. And to be fair unlike McCurry what McDonald did had no impact on the outcome of the game. They may decide he doesn't referee a Celtic game (I suspect they might) but I have no issue with him refereeing in the SPL. And if I was Hugh Dallas I'd give him a Celtic game because for his faults he is big enough to handle it.

I am not so sure he should be sacked. Managers and Footballers are hardly paragons of virtue.

Goodwillie goes ten rounds every other weekend - yet he is still employed.

Riordan tries to break another players legs - yet he is still in a job.

McGhoo gets Aberdeen their worst result ever - yet he is still in a job (for now anyway)

Rooney is engaged/married - yet sh#gs every slapper in town. I think you get the message.

Dougie McDonald made a mistake - has the balls to change his mind, but told a wee white lie as to how he came to change his mind - so what.

Craig Thomson is a bigger bellend and has allowed two teams to bully, timewaste and assault there way to victory against the mighty Well this season. I have more respect for Dougie Mac than that muppet :wallbash:

i'd quite happily take him but not against hibs, at least he'll have to play this straight down the line as loads of attention will be on him. i'm not suprised we got him as wee craigie is too much of a gent to try and stir any shit no matter what happens.

who gives a fuck if he lied to lennon. should lennon be barred from the game for kidding on juanjo headbutted him? should lawell be banned for inventing fictious japanese tours and twisting phil o'donnells and tommy burns' deaths to suit celtic? and we'll not even start on "no shots fired" reid.

This so-called 'story' just highlights whats wrong with football and this 'celebrity' culture today.

Caught pumping a prostitute? The boss will back you. (Rooney, Cole, that applies to you...)

Lied to cover your mistakes? Don't worry about it Dougie...

Been fighting on a night out? Get away with it, Goodwillie (or baddick if you like...).

I don't know about other posters, but if i lied to cover a serious mistake at work, I'd get hauled over the coals. Maybe lose my ability to work in the future... :wallbash:

Yet, these alleged professionals and I'm talking about players, managers and now referees get away with murder. Maybe endure Jim Traynor saying how much a baw you are but get away with it in the end.

McDonald should be out on his ear. End of. The fact he isn't is a sad state of affairs. The new chief exec of the SFA had a chance to start as he means to go on and he let Hugh Dallas decide...

Scottish Football is donald ducked!!!

I don't know about other posters, but if i lied to cover a serious mistake at work, I'd get hauled over the coals. Maybe lose my ability to work in the future... :wank:

But he didn't make a mistake, serious or otherwise, he got it RIGHT. What he did was tell a lie to Lennon, who had no right to an explanation anyway and then back it up by putting the same explanation in his written report. I would doubt there is anyone who hasn't told a minor lie to cover up something at work.

Why did he not just admit to making a mistake and changing his mind immediately after the game? He'd have got a lot of respect for doing that given it was ultimately the correct decision. He should have taken some f*cking responsibility rather than squirm his way out of it and hang his linesman out to dry! The guy should never referee at the top level again in my opinion as his integrity and reputation are in tatters. In saying that, it's unbelievable that he has been given a SPL match so soon after the event rather than being demoted for a few months to SFL Division 2 and Division 3.

What he did was tell a lie to Lennon, who had no right to an explanation anyway and then back it up by putting the same explanation in his written report.

He actually is entitled to an explanation, which is why he went to ask for one.

The rule is that you're supposed to wait five minutes, then go and visit the officials if you choose.

Now we know what the five minutes are for though, eh? Getting their stories straight.

Should be out on his arse.

The one thing you need as an impartial referee, the man in the middle who enforces the rules of the game, is integrity.

Dougie McDonald has none. Its gone. You can be a shit referee, you can make the biggest of blunders. But until proven otherwise, your a trustworthy ambassador of the rules of the game. Dougie McDonald is now a proven liar, a man who will lie to cover his own arse, and thats the kind of authoritative figures we do not need in the game.

Why did he not just admit to making a mistake and changing his mind immediately after the game? He'd have got a lot of respect for doing that given it was ultimately the correct decision. He should have taken some f*cking responsibility rather than squirm his way out of it and hang his linesman out to dry! The guy should never referee at the top level again in my opinion as his integrity and reputation are in tatters. In saying that, it's unbelievable that he has been given a SPL match so soon after the event rather than being demoted for a few months to SFL Division 2 and Division 3.

the only thing the cover up did was protect the linesman. the lie he told lennon was that he fucked up and the linesman gave the correct decision which was a better outcome for craven than the truth that he knew it wasn't a penalty but gave it anyway.

It makes no difference who the ref is they are all dodgy, if the well play as we know they can we will pump hibs as they are Sh*t. :nod: This nonsense with refs has been going on for years, its only getting lots of press now as nobody at the SFA has the balls to stand up to the conspiracy theorists at Parkhead and tell them to Feck off :evilgrin:

You can pick any team you like and if you go back far enough you will find that for every decision they think has gone against them, there will be one that they have got away with. Fans have been arguing about referee's decisions since football started, every country,every league. The only reason we seem to be obsessed with it is that Celtic have been carrying a huge chip on their shoulder since 1888 trying to convince anybody who will listen that the establishment is against them, and the media seem to like it.

So never mind who the ref is support the team and we will get the result, we are better than them.

When i heard McDonald is going to ref our game, the first thought that went into my head, is how many of our players is he going to book or sent off. Whilst, we might have won the fair play league and been relatively well behaved in recent years, that counts for nothing when Dougie is in town.

Referee's do have a difficult job, but to many now want to be the center of attention, and get away with awful peformances time after time.

If a referee admits to lying, then his integrity has gone, and there should be no way back. Football in Scotland has a had a smell of corruption for a long time, and at the first chance to make an example of the referee, like they would if it was a player or manager, has been deliberately missed. No wonder fans are disillusioned and staying away from the game, when everything is geared to benefit the old firm, stop competitiveness and fairness, and officials who are hell bent in being the panto villian.

If McDonald makes an erse of it, which he will, i hope our board of directors take a similar approach as Celtic, as it seems, unless you shout, you'll get nothing.