Murphy, Humphrey & Reynolds - Out, Saunders In

Guest 'Flow

levein wanted a right back

Has Levein actually come out and said that?

I know the natural reply to that would be "well obviously if a manager calls up a right back then he wanted a right back", but this isn't a normal manager we're talking about anymore.

There's really no justification for him wanting a right back for this squad. Not only did he already have Caddis and Bardsley in the friendly squad, but Hutton and Whittaker are our 1st and 2nd picks respectively already. We're crying out for a left-back though

If you're correct and Levein did decide he needed another right back in the squad, then I can see your point about that ruling out Reynolds et al. But it just throws up another point that proves Levein is a complete mong.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets put a shout out for all those Motherwell Players who have been overlooked this time round, the only way we can bounce back from this issue is to prove Levein wrong.

Saturday offers the opportunity for Murphy, Humphrey, Hammel, and Reynolds to show Levein what Motherwell Offers Scottish football, it is clear that presently Levein does not rate the players mentioned above.

Pros and Cons

• Murphy- what does he offer Scotland ? and where and how can he improve to the point Levein cant ignore him anymore.
  • Humphrey- What does Chris offer Scotland that they dont have already?
  • Reynolds- What has Reynolds got that the other Central defenders selected have not?
  • Hammel- Is he ready for the next step, is he better than the left back already selected in the Levein dream team.

Please discuss all of the above, it will be interesting to read your findings! :lol:

Murphy - He offers pace with the ball at his feet, but is still too lightweight

Humphrey - Pace , Needs to be more consistent and can be naive at times especially defending

Reynolds - Offers intelligence and pace in the centre of the defence which Scotland lack, distribution sometimes poor ,

Hammel- Would give Scotland balance with a left footed left back! Cons has a massive heed!

Out of them all Reynolds is the one I think who should be in the squad for Faroes game

But levein has 3 ways of prioritizing the selection of his squad

1 Must be part of old firm, and Neil and Walter happy to let them play (don't have to be a first team regular)

2 Are they in a English teams squad any divsion !(don't have to be a first team regular)

3 Has he previously managed them ie at Dundee Utd (Goodwillie, Webster, Kenneth , Dixon)

Three topics now all covering similar stuff on the Club Chat - at the same time mirroring a lot of stuff already being discussed over in the Tartan Army Section.

Will keep on the Club Chat forum seeing as the majority is directly related to MFC players but have merged into the one thread.

Lets put a shout out for all those Motherwell Players who have been overlooked this time round, the only way we can bounce back from this issue is to prove Levein wrong.

Saturday offers the opportunity for Murphy, Humphrey, Hammel, and Reynolds to show Levein what Motherwell Offers Scottish football, it is clear that presently Levein does not rate the players mentioned above.

Pros and Cons

• Murphy- what does he offer Scotland ? and where and how can he improve to the point Levein cant ignore him anymore.
  • Humphrey- What does Chris offer Scotland that they dont have already?
  • Reynolds- What has Reynolds got that the other Central defenders selected have not?
  • Hammel- Is he ready for the next step, is he better than the left back already selected in the Levein dream team.

Please discuss all of the above, it will be interesting to read your findings! :lol:

I am enjoying this thread

Murphy - has done very well in the u-21's, in Europe and in the league with Motherwell. To name him in the squad would be a boost to his growing confidence and give him the chance to train with guys like Darren Fletcher and Craig Gordon.

He is pacey, has an eye for goal and is comfortable with the ball.

That said, he could improve his strength and looking at my comments above, he isn't really a Levein type player!

Reynolds - I don't think Reynolds is good enough to play for Scotland, that said he should surely be selected above Steven Caldwell.

Humphrey - is certainly pacey but tends to always go on the outside and can be found out. He could be good against opposition like the Faroes, but he isn't international class. Lets be honest. Take off the claret and amber tinted glasses.

Hammel - is not international class in any shape or form. Good pro for the 'well but nowhere near good enough or fit enough to represent the country.

Ignoring the farcical circumstances surrounding this game and thinking about the Motherwell players discussed:

Jamie Murphy - His time will come. Assuming he continues to improve and build his strength, he has a very bright future ahead of him.

Humphrey - Ivan Sproule type player. Doubt he could ever cut it at International level but will do very nicely for Motherwell. Relatively speaking, Scotland are well off for attack minded players at the moment anyway.

Reynolds - has the attributes to at least have the opportunity to prove himself at International level. He strikes me as the type of the player that would improve with better players around him and would relish the big stage.

Hammell - Fantastic servant for Motherwell but should have done so much more with his career. At one point he looked like he may be a natural successor to Gary Naysmith but sadly lost his way during his 1st spell at FP.

Saunders - great young prospect. Look forward to seeing him playing for the Under 21s and we will see how his career progresses. Given that we have a severe shortage of centre halves at our disposal, he must fancy his chances of one day becoming a Scotland regular. At the same time though, there is always the chance he could go the same way as Willie K.

I am enjoying this thread

Murphy - has done very well in the u-21's, in Europe and in the league with Motherwell. To name him in the squad would be a boost to his growing confidence and give him the chance to train with guys like Darren Fletcher and Craig Gordon.

He is pacey, has an eye for goal and is comfortable with the ball.

That said, he could improve his strength and looking at my comments above, he isn't really a Levein type player!

Reynolds - I don't think Reynolds is good enough to play for Scotland, that said he should surely be selected above Steven Caldwell.

Humphrey - is certainly pacey but tends to always go on the outside and can be found out. He could be good against opposition like the Faroes, but he isn't international class. Lets be honest. Take off the claret and amber tinted glasses.

Hammel - is not international class in any shape or form. Good pro for the 'well but nowhere near good enough or fit enough to represent the country.

This.

Hammell is to us what Garry Hay or Jamie Hamil is to Kilmarnock.

Just read through this thread and when I get to the end Saunders gets on, well done to him as it is quite obvious he was called up late being on u21 duty, hope Mark Reynolds gets his chance as it would be criminal if he didn't considering the players who are getting call ups, pity it didn't come this time though as it will bring on all the bumph about not getting a cap because he plays with MOTHERWELL. Saunders on the park blows that out of the water.

What the fuck is international class? It's Scotland we're talking about, and not one of our players would get into the top nations like Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina (those kind of teams that do have international class players) - unless you mean he's not good enough to play international football - which would also be bollocks, as he plays against better teams week in week out than the likes of Andorra, Faroe Islands etc. etc. etc.

The left back position is an issue for Scotland at the moment as it used to be filled very well by Gary Naysmith, but now he is out the picture we seem to be struggling to fill it. The players who could fill that role could be:

Crainey, Mulgrew, Wallace, Hammell or Whittaker.

I would always choose Wallace before any of them, but Hammell is certainly not out of place on that list. Good backup if nothing else. he has certainly been consistent this season.

Also Whittaker can play there, but never looks comfertable in the role.

He did, but when he came back to Accies on loan last season he had piled on a lot of weight as he hadn't been playing for Burnley. He looked like an absolute carthorse and was just big, slow and clumsy. Pity as I thought he had real potential. He obviously needs to get playing regularly and get back into shape.