Motherwell V Hearts 28/11/10

postiejim

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love football fans. There were blizzards out there this morning when the game was called off, about a foot off snow and expecting fans to travel from Edinburgh through to the game when they would have been travelling on a motorway about 40mph.

All this talk off why is Asda and Tesco's not shut is a lot of absolute shite, they are essential amenities for everyday life where most folk have to walk at the most 15 mins to find the nearest supermarket, football isnt essential. 5000 folk decesending on FP in this weather isnt ideal. Stop being so fucking blinkered the lot of you and get a grip ffs.

Tell you what all the people moaning about it that live around here why dont they go to the Tesco's in Gorgie. Let us know how they get on when they get back from there journey.

Silly comment. If the snow was on Wednesday or Thursday the roads would be clear or clearer that they are at the moment..... it wasnt, it was today. Do you want the councils etc to get out there to clear roads just for football fans.
They should be out there clearing the roads for everyone. And they should have been out there gritting/salting the roads before the snow started falling.

When I lived in England we used to laugh at how useless they were at dealing with snow compared to Scotland. As the years have passed, it seems like the English approach to snow clearing has taken hold of the majority local authorities in Scotland.

They should be out there clearing the roads for everyone. And they should have been out there gritting/salting the roads before the snow started falling.

When I lived in England we used to laugh at how useless they were at dealing with snow compared to Scotland. As the years have passed, it seems like the English approach to snow clearing has taken hold of the majority local authorities in Scotland.

Of course they should. But there is only so much they can do at the one time. The infrastructure of this country is completely fucked, but thats an all together different debate.

I love football fans. There were blizzards out there this morning when the game was called off, about a foot off snow and expecting fans to travel from Edinburgh through to the game when they would have been travelling on a motorway about 40mph.

there's about three inches of snow in motherwell.

I must be missing something. The treacherous conditions that are keepin us poor football fans holed up indoors don't seem to be affecting the thousands of folk tanking up and down the M8 as we speak.

As I said earlier in the thread, the problem for most folk is getting out of their own streets. The main roads are fine, and if there had been a wee bit of common sense shown, the roads and pavements around the ground would have been fine too.

People are far too soft these days.

there's about three inches of snow in motherwell.

Its a pity that not everyone involved is from that part of Motherwell then,

major roads in the central belt have been closed due to accidents, major public transposrt providers are not running full services, some services not running at all, public events all over have been cancelled, and no matter what you think about local/national government services getting a football match on is no longer top of their priorities

oh and

Edinburgh airport is closed, who are we playing where are they from? guess there must be a little more than 3 inches off snow about for all these implications

many make good points about why the game should go ahead, and with hindsight and the lack of fresh snow this afternoon so far maybe it could have, but since the weather cannot be predicted with any real accuracy I think it was prudent to cancel the game this time, nothing worse than making it to a game only for it to be called off anyone remember St Johnstone.

Was it not only last year fans were demanding games were called off earlier, because of disruption a late call of delivers

Fans aren't obliged to travel,... They do so at their own risk.

A factor that will always divide fans. Most things we do in life have an element of risk attached. Although poorer weather will always increase the danger of accidents, whether you travel by public transport or car. Ultimately it is a personal choice, unless the authorties say otherwise by closing roads, airports or sea links.

For what it’s worth, if the game had been on today I would have attempted to get there at my own risk. Ultimately I was thankful the decision was taken for me.

The game should have been on. End of.

Don't know about that. I live less than 5 miles away and at 9am this morning the snow was very heavy, pretty much white-out conditions as the gritters etc hadn't made it up here at that point.

If it had of carried on that way you would be looking at a real safety problem. Both for Motherwell fans and the away fans, especially considering its forecast to get worse this evening.

All the talk of tesco and the cinema still being open is fine, but lets not forget both the police and traffic scotland are advising against all but essential travel, arriva have taken their fleet of buses off the road and Edinburgh airport is shut!

Can the country cope? - blatantly not, but lets not pretend that only football fans feel the pain!

PS - Two lanes currently closed on the M8 due to a jack knifed lorry!

Absolutely the correct decision at the time taken. Can understand folk's frustrations - mine included as I missed last week's game as I wasn't well and was dying for a game today - but the way conditions were at 11am nobody should have been out unless they were doing an emergency job. Remember police advice is not to travel - if they are policing a game they are encouraging folk to come along. If it had been us v Hamilton we could maybe have hung fire a bit longer before making a call but with the distance from Edinburgh and the travel issues on the M8 an early decision was needed and was undoubtedly the correct one.

Poofery, complete and utter. Sooking on the nanny state's teat.

complete and utter selfish bastardnish :rolleyes: and smugness from upon high due to living in a real democracy that looks after its citizens

who would have transported you to the game ? if you were here and it was on? some other poor c**t risking his vehicle