Looking At The Roads

Taff

Yes and no. From a driving perspective no doubt people could have got from Kilmarnock to Motherwell no bother. However with trains running an extremely limited service still (and I have no idea how the Kilmarnock lines have been affected!) this could have put people off. And certainly there are just about no trains north of Glasgow so having the games at Aberdeen, Perth and Inverness off makes perfect sense. But it does prove that the earlier you make decisions the more of a gamble you are taking because today's forecast changed on Thursday/Friday from the snow that was forecast earlier in the week. And had that come true and the games were called off yesterday the clubs would have been hit with more expenditure so I think its hard to be overly critical.

I was listening to sportsound on my way back from Dundee (which kind of makes my point), and they were all saying what a good decision it was.

I'm with you, and of the opinion that maybe friday lunchtime would have been a better time to assess the situation.

Unfortunately as football fans, we are treated like idiots who can't decide for ourselves.

The ridiculous thing is, we'll end up playing on wild wednesday nights in january, when there is no reason we couldn't have played today. Look at the Inverurie loco's game 2 years ago, of all the attempts to play it, the worst road conditions were the day we played it, and much worse than today.

The Weather and conditions were bad on wednesday, and have gradually improved since, so i agree they were a bit hasty.

To look from the other point of view, they have gone to the extreme to avoid late call offs, and arguably saved clubs money on preparation by making such an early decision. Perhaps they could have looked at each case on its own, instaed of a blanket call off?

The funny thing is Alloa v Peterhead went ahead !!

For fuck sake SPL you called all your games off and that game was on!!

That's because they've got the 3G surface and they still had a shit load of work to do to get the game to go ahead.

I agree that they made the decision far too early to postpone all the SPL games and the game probably should of gone ahead.

That's because they've got the 3G surface and they still had a shit load of work to do to get the game to go ahead.

I agree that they made the decision far too early to postpone all the SPL games and the game probably should of gone ahead.

But I don't think the games being called off had anything to do with pitches! My point is I don't think there is much difference to Peterhead travelling to Alloa and Celtic travelling to Aberdee for example in terms of safety.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They call it off yesterday afternoon/today, all you get is folk moaning about how 'it was obviously going to be off'.

Some c***s just love a good moan but, knock yourself out.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They call it off yesterday afternoon/today, all you get is folk moaning about how 'it was obviously going to be off'.

Some c***s just love a good moan but, knock yourself out.

oh stop moaning :thumbup:

I'm sure I read in the paper whoever called the games off, or at least had a big say in the matter, said if he hadn't called them off and someone had become a victim of the recent conditions and been killed he'd never be able to forgive himself and would hold himself responsible.

So for once the fans were put first, and although frustrating for us all not to have a game to attend I agree with his reasoning to call them all off.

I'm sure I read in the paper whoever called the games off, or at least had a big say in the matter, said if he hadn't called them off and someone had become a victim of the recent conditions and been killed he'd never be able to forgive himself and would hold himself responsible.

So for once the fans were put first, and although frustrating for us all not to have a game to attend I agree with his reasoning to call them all off.

It's a difficult one.

On reading the first paragraph it made me remember our bus being turned back by the polis trying to get a game against Killie curiously enough around Christmas about 1997 or 1998. We got pumped 4-1 but if I remember rightly one of the reasons the road was blocked, was that 'Well fans had actually been involved in accident, there may even have been a fatality.

So its entirely reasonable for the SPL to have fans safety in mind.

But there's a balance to be struck against personal choice and the individual taking responsibility for their own actions. I argued last week that the Hearts postponement was reasonable - a week down the line though with the councils, club and supporters having had a decent opportunity to tackle roads and pavements, sort out the stadium where necessary and look into travel options, perhaps it might have been wiser to allow clubs to assess each situation on its own merits. I think Terry Butcher was insistent for example that the Inverness game should have gone ahead. Or at least allow each team to work out a timeframe between them and their opponents rather than the blanket postponement.

As it happens I actually got lucky having been down south and was unable to make it on Saturday but I think we need to remember that what's happening in Aberdeen or Inverness isn't necessarily being replicated in Motherwell, Paisley or Kilmarnock.

I may be getting Cynical or paranoid or both but i have heard rumours that the games were called off as the referree's are still pissed off that they have had no firm commitment from the SFA to deal with Celtic, the bad weather may have been a conveient excuse :evilgrin:

If most of the English games can go ahead with more snow than we have, police dealing with crowds of 25 to 40,000 safely and everyone getting about, then why do Strathclydes finest have problems with the massive 3,500 or so that we would have got at Fir park, its nonsense.

I

may be getting Cynical or paranoid or both but i have heard rumours that the games were called off as the referree's are still pissed off that they have had no firm commitment from the SFA to deal with Celtic, the bad weather may have been a conveient excuse :evilgrin:

Good point.

Games really could've went ahead in my opinion but hey ho.

For all we know, last Tuesday when the announcement was made, maybe today's snow was forecast for Saturday which would have endorsed their decision. I've used differing 5 day forecasts over the past year and I've found them usually to be around 24 hours out - give or take.

Also the ref's thing and Celtic, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision was made that little bit easier as it gives everyone a chance to cool down. I should get a job writing tabloid headlines.

If most of the English games can go ahead with more snow than we have, police dealing with crowds of 25 to 40,000 safely and everyone getting about, then why do Strathclydes finest have problems with the massive 3,500 or so that we would have got at Fir park, its nonsense.

According to Kanye West it's because David Cameron doesn't care about Scottish people.