Cut Backs

Orinoco

Just read on P&B that the club is looking to cutback on the coaching staff especially at youth level. Any truth in this? If, it is true it would seem madness to me, given we rely on our youth system to boost our first team squad. Surely, we aint cutting back on a coach or coaches just to free up a wage for a player. Perhaps, some directors should be shown the door first, for all that they appear to do!

Just read on P&B that the club is looking to cutback on the coaching staff especially at youth level. Any truth in this? If, it is true it would seem madness to me, given we rely on our youth system to boost our first team squad. Surely, we aint cutting back on a coach or coaches just to free up a wage for a player. Perhaps, some directors should be shown the door first, for all that they appear to do!

What do you propose to do if it transpires that money quite plainly and simply is not there? These decisions if true will be very difficult for anyone at the club to make. Who at the club doesn't know that the youth are our future.

It's easy for fans to say we need to splash out a bit more on players. Upgrade the stadium. Advertise. Invest in all sorts of initiatives.

But if there's no money to do any of this how the fuck do we magic the money?

If the money is not there - then cutbacks have to be made.

I take my hat off to the people who keep our club going day in do out. They do a marvellous job given the resources at their disposal.

What do you propose to do if it transpires that money quite plainly and simply is not there? These decisions if true will be very difficult for anyone at the club to make. Who at the club doesn't know that the youth are our future.

It's easy for fans to say we need to splash out a bit more on players. Upgrade the stadium. Advertise. Invest in all sorts of initiatives.

I take my hat off to the people who keep our club going day in do out. They do a marvellous job given the resources at their disposal.

All true and well said....

+ 1

Let us never forget who was the first British club to go into administration.

• It's sad seeing the growing number of empty seats each time I roll into Fir Park.
  • It's sad seing CB and AK looking at the team at the bottom of the SPL as a better prospect.
  • It's a sad reality, we may struggle to hold onto current squad members because we simply don't have the funds.
  • It's sad MFC are having to struggle through a recession.
  • But I'm happy that no matter what - there will always be Motherwell FC.

Whatever happens over the coming weeks and months - let's keep it real.

agree you cant spend what you dont have, but I can't believe our youth coaches are on big money. In addition the playing squad is the smallest it's ever been.

We've had recent additions to the board room, and i've yet to see what they've added other than another expense. Was one of them not given the task of raising the clubs income?

If we are in such a bad financial way, gods knows what state other clubs in the SPL are without a little europeon run, and semi final to look forward to, and on the back of another top six finish.

Don't know what to believe these days.

Exactly.

If we pulled in close to 10,000 for every home game then perhaps the right to shout would be there. More Motherwell fans need to attend Fir Park more regularly, and more spending money will therefore be available to the Club.

We've had recent additions to the board room, and i've yet to see what they've added other than another expense. Was one of them not given the task of raising the clubs income?

Again, one other thing I want to clear up...

As the accounts at Motherwell FC show, our directors don't take any pay and haven't since 2002.

Indeed, our two latest additions to the Board of Directors have been working their backsides off, along with the others in charge; to not only guide us through the last week, but also a difficult time for all businesses.

As our statement last Thursday, we need everyone at the club (Directors, staff, players and fans) to rally together to make sure we can build on what has been an excellent first half of the 2010/2011 campaign.

Cheers

Not sure if you can say, but:

Do you know yet, whether the club will be taking their time to appoint a management team with a medium to long term future with the club, or will we be making moves to secure the services of someone temprarily until the end of the season, when we can take the time to find what we need?

And are the club making moves to try and continue the services of players such as Blackman and Gow after January?

It came from TheLip69. Maybe he can enlighten us on here although I see he got in another 'dig' at LD...........yet still won't say what his problem is?

i think he gave himself away with that recently on P&B when he described his weekend habits.

And are the club making moves to try and continue the services of players such as Blackman and Gow after January?

considering they managed to get the juke and ruddy sorted last season i'm sure they'll be trying the same thing with blackman.

gow's wage could well be used to fill a position we're not as well supplied in.

Exactly.

If we pulled in close to 10,000 for every home game then perhaps the right to shout would be there. More Motherwell fans need to attend Fir Park more regularly, and more spending money will therefore be available to the Club.

I dream of 10000+ gates at Fir Park. But how do you propose we go about doubling attendance? Alas, factors like recession, high ticket prices and freedom of choice reduce the likelihood of more fans rolling up on match days.

Perhaps we should end democracy in Lanarkshire, and create a communist micro society instead. As part of each citzen's contribution to the community, they must support the local football team. Provided they get their season ticket stamped for attendance, the Republic of Lanarkshire shall reward each citizen with a wage at the end of the month.

I dream of 10000+ gates at Fir Park. But how do you propose we go about doubling attendance? Alas, factors like recession, high ticket prices and freedom of choice reduce the likelihood of more fans rolling up on match days.

Perhaps we should end democracy in Lanarkshire, and create a communist micro society instead. As part of each citzen's contribution to the community, they must support the local football team. Provided they get their season ticket stamped for attendance, the Republic of Lanarkshire shall reward each citizen with a wage at the end of the month.

Independence for Dosserdom

;)

The problem for Motherwell and all Scottish football is television.

Why pay £18 to watch Motherwell v St. Mirren when you can watch Barcelona on telly later that night from your armchair?

Long term I can see it being virtually impossible for Scottish football to operate a professional full time league.

We are inevitably headed towards an American model. There are only 32 teams in the NFL with a population over 300 million. Television roles the roost. Now in Europe we are very close to something similar. A sort of televised and media monopoly focused on the elite teams will drive almost everyone else out of business with perhaps a tier or two below them also managing to stay professional.

There are also societal changes. People simply aren't as 'local' as they used to be and the idea of community centered pride has vanished. Today due to the internet and modern communications people are as likely to have friends in Chicago as Cambusnethan. People simply do not see themselves as belonging to a town or a community. They have much wider horizons than they did even in the 1990's. When I was a kid we went on our summer holiday to Ayr. Now people fly to New York to do some shopping.

That sort of change of mentality affects local clubs like ours. When once someone may have supported the local club because it was locally prominent and they felt an affinity towards it, now they either don't feel the same affinity or are barely conscious of its existence.

The future of Scottish football is part time - just as it was for 90% of its long history. Within two or three seasons there will be no full time teams outside the SPL. Already a number of full time teams are preparing to make the switch next season.

I honestly can't see how we can avoid the same switch over the long term.

Why pay £18 to watch Motherwell v St. Mirren when you can watch Barcelona on telly later that night from your armchair?

Because I'm a Motherwell fan, and I couldn't care less about Barcelona. And it's far from free to watch all that football on the telly, either, unless you like watching the fuzzy illegal version on your laptop ;)

Im the same, i said before i dont mind paying £18 quid to watch Motherwell because that's my team. I dont get interested really in watching a lot of other games unless it's on my coupon. Im a Motherwell fan and i'll pay anything (within reason) to support my team and anything i can do to help my team i will =)

Just like most of everyone here would

We are inevitably headed towards an American model. There are only 32 teams in the NFL with a population over 300 million. Television roles the roost. Now in Europe we are very close to something similar. A sort of televised and media monopoly focused on the elite teams will drive almost everyone else out of business with perhaps a tier or two below them also managing to stay professional.

The good thing about the NFL model though is that their primary focus is bums on seats and they have a policy in place of blacking out television coverage for games if they haven't sold enough tickets. Could you ever imagine something like that happening with Sky?

Of course the NFL control all their television rights etc, whereas we have umpteen different bodies controlling the game, television, radio and other media.