Fir Park - I'm Sorry But It's Time To Go

MJC_MKI

What would the costs be for sorting out the repairs of the plumbing works in the East Stand? Would it be within the means of the MST to make a contribution towards it?

I would imagine it would be well outwith the reach of the trust. There is going to be some serious repairs needing done to the East, including the replacement of the old cast iron pipework, upgrading of the pipework and drainage framework in and around the stand. I would envisage that, while factoring in the repair work carried out already and the work still to be done to the POD, that it will cost Stuart McCall at the very minimum one player, though more likely two or three. That all depends on what Motherwell do. Will they go for the cheap option which will cost substantially more in the long run to just keep patching up areas for others to fail and end up patching up patch ups every year or actually invest a bit to try and rectify probem areas to stop it happening? Let's not forget there is still the ever more difficult safety cert to get too.

That's a fair point BB. We're getting close to a point where I feel we'll eventually have temporary or permanent closures of a stand on safety grounds - due to the legislation. I think by th looks of it we'll eventually have a major repair due to something coming down - particularly in the East.

At the end of the day attending football doesn't have to be too luxurious - it's just really an evolution of standing on a grassy slope at the side of a park. But the general expectation that we have facilities particularly with the prices we charge and the competition we have with other pusuits should be of a certain standard and I think pretty much universally most would agree that something needs to be done in our two old stands.

We missed the boat by not selling Fir Park prior to the downturn - but there are probably reasons for that among them being the attempt to sell the club as a whole. However I feel that we might suffer badly because of this - when things will recover to a level that we'll get the funds we need from the sale is anyone's guess.

I think the long term strategy is pretty vague from the club - I know they've stated the long term aim is a move to Ravenscraig. However there's never been an indication of what that would look like - what's the vision.

It's disappointing that we're so far back in terms of where we're going, the communication and any alternatives.

Could become a major issue. (well even more major than it is already)

What would the costs be for sorting out the repairs of the plumbing works in the East Stand? Would it be within the means of the MST to make a contribution towards it?

The full amount of the Pitch In Project account was donated to the club last season, £7,000 which was used to improve facilities around Fir Park for disabled fans. There was a second option for those who wanted to donate, the Share fund has around £5,600 available in donations. We have spoken to the club about how that money could be used to benefit fans and a couple of ideas have been floated back and forth. Improvements to the East Stand have a lot of merit, however, five grand is a drop in the ocean.

Around October last year, we put together a number of commitments which we looked to achieve this season. As part of that we are looking to "re-introduce the standing order led “Pitch In” fund to top up our financial support to the club". In addition, 25% of our income this season will also go towards a "facilities improvement project fund"

The full amount of the Pitch In Project account was donated to the club last season, £7,000 which was used to improve facilities around Fir Park for disabled fans. There was a second option for those who wanted to donate, the Share fund has around £5,600 available in donations. We have spoken to the club about how that money could be used to benefit fans and a couple of ideas have been floated back and forth. Improvements to the East Stand have a lot of merit, however, five grand is a drop in the ocean.

Around October last year, we put together a number of commitments which we looked to achieve this season. As part of that we are looking to "re-introduce the standing order led “Pitch In” fund to top up our financial support to the club". In addition, 25% of our income this season will also go towards a "facilities improvement project fund"

Cheers for the quick response guys and for the further information. Was just a thought that it might be something that the Trust could assist with. Good to know that even if in this instance its not feasible, that you have given the facilities at Fir Park plenty of consideration already.

Ta.