Fir Park - I'm Sorry But It's Time To Go

MJC_MKI

Close the POD then. Retain access to the Director's Box, but no fan access, transfering those who normally frequent the POD to the Cooper.

Lest face it .............. some time soon, it could be the more viable alternative :thumbup: and one taken by the authorities .......... Watford and Preston currently suffer from such an issue. Closer to home, Spartans had that very same decision scyth their SFL aspirations.

Close the POD then. Retain access to the Director's Box, but no fan access, transfering those who normally frequent the POD to the Cooper.

Lest face it .............. some time soon, it could be the more viable alternative :thumbup: and one taken by the authorities .......... Watford and Preston currently suffer from such an issue. Closer to home, Spartans had that very same decision scyth their SFL aspirations.

Old main stand was demolished and replaced in 2008 at Preston,shame we couldnot do the same !

250px-Deepdalecomplete.jpg

Because they were a burden on your resources ................ If the POD continues to be a burden on MFC's resources, closure is therefore an alternative imho. (Not withstanding the Council's option to close it down).

What's to be lost ? 100 Season Tickets, and several other Compos on match day at most. Does income match expenditure over the season ? I very much doubt it, the POD is the most sparsely populated stand at FP and has been since St John and Quinn were punted to finance its construction.

What would you rather have ? The POD or 2 - 3 more players in the squad ?

Because they were a burden on your resources ................ If the POD continues to be a burden on MFC's resources, closure is therefore an alternative imho. (Not withstanding the Council's option to close it down).

What's to be lost ? 100 Season Tickets, and several other Compos on match day at most. Does income match expenditure over the season ? I very much doubt it, the POD is the most sparsely populated stand at FP and has been since St John and Quinn were punted to finance its construction.

Cheers for incorrectly answering the question for me.

Why not then, by your logic, close all 3 other stands and just fire us all into the south stand? Close the east and the main and have the cooper for away fans. How's that sound?

So do we get the players coming to the games in their kit then get them to go home for a shower afterwards? It's not just seats and hospitality in the POD - changing rooms, etc etc etc.

Right now I'd settle for a 2 sided effort, 2 x 4.5k seaters running each side of the pitch......with decent facilities.

This mirrors my thoughts exactly.

If we ignore the fact there is no money to build a new stadium at present, only building two fairly large stands makes financial and aesthetic sense. It is cheaper to maintain as well as to build and requires less land for it's footprint.

It doesn't have to be as soulless as Douglas Park or the Falkirk Stadium (not so much now) are. By splitting the stands into two tiers, with 2500 on the bottom tier and 2-2500 on the top tier, separated by a row of executive boxes, they would be pretty impressive structures. Curving the back of the stands a la Bolton's Reebok stadium would give them more character than the standard "cookie cutter" stands that we see elsewhere. "High walls" could be put in close behind each goal to highlight the fact the ground is meant to only have two stands and counter the loss of atmosphere that can happen with wide open spaces. Stick a scoreboard on one and a large club crest on the other to break up the blankness. If the cameras were put high in the "away" stand, TV would give the impression of a well supported team as a 4-5000 seater stand fills up with 4-5000 'Well fans.

Well, that's my pipe dream anyway. With the slow degradation of Fir Park it is something I have thought about from time to time :nod: . However, without money, it will remain a pipe dream along with any other plans put forward by the likes of us or even those with responsibility at the club. At the very least, it will require the housing market to bounce back substantially to make the land Fir Park sits on worth selling. So not soon then :( .

On a plus point though, didn't the pitch look good :wallbash: ?

It doesn't have to be as soulless as Douglas Park or the Falkirk Stadium (not so much now) are. By splitting the stands into two tiers, with 2500 on the bottom tier and 2-2500 on the top tier, separated by a row of executive boxes, they would be pretty impressive structures. Curving the back of the stands a la Bolton's Reebok stadium would give them more character than the standard "cookie cutter" stands that we see elsewhere.

but the curvature costs a lot to put in and its around £1m more to put a 2 tier structure instead of single tier. Also corner seats are 33% more expensive than straight runs and those seats arent as popular

What we need is a smaller version of Deepdale. 4 separate,single tier,steep sided stands, a row of boxes + facilities in the main stand as well as the shop,an MFC museum,conference suite,sports bar + restaurant to bring in non matchday finance

Sell naming rights for each of the stands + the stadium as a whole, and either rent one of the stand roofs to British Gas for solar panels or install them ourselves then we can power the stadium and sell extra back to the grid.

What we need is a smaller version of Deepdale. 4 separate,single tier,steep sided stands, a row of boxes + facilities in the main stand as well as the shop,an MFC museum,conference suite,sports bar + restaurant to bring in non matchday finance
According to the architects, reconstruction of Deepdale cost 26 million. Even half of that would likely be out of the question for us.

According to the architects, reconstruction of Deepdale cost 26 million. Even half of that would likely be out of the question for us.

aye thats cause they built a 24k stadium with a huge football museum and restaurants covering 2 stands, a 25m screen for showing highlights and an NHS walk in centre added to the main stand facilities. a basic 9k or 10k version would see you with change from £10m easily, ok still maybe too much for us but if you could get the added revenue from sponsorships etc like i said it could be possible (all being only if we got a good price for fir park!)

but the curvature costs a lot to put in and its around £1m more to put a 2 tier structure instead of single tier. Also corner seats are 33% more expensive than straight runs and those seats arent as popular

It was just the back wall I was thinking on curving rather than the whole stand and I wasn't envisioning any "corner seats", only "straight runs", but I take your points on the increased costs involved. I wasn't aware of that sort of thing. However, in the interests of having an "impressive stadium" that might enhance the image of the club for prospective players and supporters, I still think two tiers might be worth the extra expense (it's all fantasy after all). IMO anyway :thumbup: .

See if it's only 2 stands we need, then we already have 2 fairly new stands so no need to move :thumbup:

I hope your tongue was well and truly in your cheek there. How cr*p would our stadium and reputation be if all we had was a stand at each end of the pitch? We'd be a laughing stock :thumbup: .