Motherwell 4-0 Dundee. 1952 Scottish Cup Final

Taff

We dont hear much of this because it was before most of us were born or old enough to remember. I am hoping though that some of you may have some stories to tell about this great day. Or maybe you have heard some stories you would like to share?

As told by my late father:- he travelled to the game on a "fitba special" from Shotts. He was 16 at the time and it seemed like the whole of Shotts was at the train station bedecked in hand-knitted claret & amber scarves.

It was pay at the gate in those days, and the Q's were massive outside Hampden 2 hours before kick-off. Whisky was passed around rather freely, (no Buckfast in them days), even the Bobbies joined in :O

He made it in to the North Enclosure, and being 6'5" found vantage not a problem :thumbup:

Dundee were favourites, apparently, and dominated the 1st half - roared on by the crowd. It wasn't really 50-50 nor was there any segregation, but a stadium packed with football fans who just appreciated good football no matter who played it.

2nd half was a different story though, (with my old English teacher from Dalziel - Wilson Humphries - getting on the score-sheet) ................. and we mustn't forget Redpath's Snorter in front of a Record attendance at the time.

Apparently the scenes in Motherwell were amazing when the team came back with the cup. Imagine players on top of a single decker bus with the cup, then they appeared at Robb's Tea Room window to show the trophy to the fans. :notworthy::notworthy:

It was the frequent recital of this story that kept me going in my younger days as a 'Well fan, and in 1991 my father was the 1st person I searched out when I got back to the bus outside Hampden. We didn't say much, we didn't have to, just a look a nod and a hug said more than words could.

We dont hear much of this because it was before most of us were born or old enough to remember. I am hoping though that some of you may have some stories to tell about this great day. Or maybe you have heard some stories you would like to share?

Excellent video and great to watch. Was that the largest ever crowd for a Well game?

I'm too young to have been there, but my late father used to tell a story about a banner that the then Flemington Branch made up for the game. Dundee's great star at the time was Billy Steel and what he was going to do to us was nobody's business.

The banner read "We're not afraid of Steel - we've been handling it all our lives".

And we weren't and we did.