Thanks Youngy

Megastar

Thought i was coming on here to leave a nice wee message for Youngy but it's turned into a fight!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ( in mine i think Youngy done all right)

But everyone is allowed to have their say, were all Motherwell fans and were not all going to agree on everything.

Btw Why was Gannon brought up on this? there is no need to bring him into a conversation about Young

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasnt moaning about being out of his depth or the attention during the last few months when he was propelled from taking the youths (ministeelmen ??) to sitting on the bench and being heavily involved with the first team

His 3 games in charge have been shite , Sunday especially being a complete embarrasment

Drinking down the Electric and being everyones pal wont alter that im afraid

So aye cheers for conducting yerself well in interviews and picking a team , the wages you were trousering will have to do though , we wont be striking a medal

Jealousy is such a negative trait. :evilgrin:

Fair play to him, he seems a decent sort and clearly has Motherwell at heart but FFS, should the Head of Youth Development really be found to be so far out his depth?

Being an excellent teacher doesn't necessarily mean you will be excellent headmaster material. There is a HUGE difference in duties and responsibilities between Youth Development and Manager.

George Young didn't have a lot of time to assess and change things. It wasn't even his remit really. He was just there to keep things ticking over until the new boss took over. Given the rather threadbare squad we have and a run of games that could not have been tougher, I think it is unfair to criticise him for a failure to drastically alter the line-up. Throw in the cloud hovering over Fir Park by Brown's unseemly departure, I doubt anyone else could have done any better under such circumstances.

The praise he is due is not for the sterling performances of the team while he was temporarily in charge (which obviously didn't materialise) but for simply taking on the job when it would clearly have been easier to decline and let someone else take the flak.

IMO Youngy is due respect, thanks and sympathy in equal measure.

Even though I agree that he did not do a good job in the games where he took charge, there's no way that he deserves some of the criticism on this thread.

As well as his obvious lack of experience, he also had to contend with other major obstacles.

Lack of training facilities due to the weather.

Lack of moral.

The Jennings situation.

Uncertainty over the new manager.

By his own admission, a lack of the "skillset" required at this level.

The opposition being the top three in the league.

These are all major factors in the results over this period.

I'm sure that many of the posters on this board are more than competent in their jobs, but are not capable of stepping up and running the company.

humphrey was doubled up on against hearts would youngy not think to change something to let him get more space as hes a big attacking threat for us especially when offering width, but no he kept him the same and once again he was doubled up on against rangers. school boy stuff from him, he basically done nothing apart from telling the team to play he was well out his depth.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not a fan of personal assaults on folk just because they have an opinion that differs from the majority.

Now in saying that, I do disagree with much of what Steve Diggle says, but I do not deny him the right to his view any more than he will mind me repectfully disagreeing.

Youngy did his best in his time in charge, but I wonder if ALL the players are able to say the same.

Evident today that Young could do little about recent performances. Too many players have failed to turn up recntly i.e Gow,Reynolds,Hateley. Saunders and Murphy being played out of position doesn't help either. Got to give credit to Young for the way he handled things.

Totally disagree .............. that's twice now he has been thrown in at the deep end, and selflessly shouldered the responsibility of trying to hold things together while the Media go into speculation overdrive, even turning down the opportunity to move to Pittodrie. Lesser mortals would have crumbled.

Well done Wee Man. :)

And wit? I would have happily took the job Youngy had for a few days and would have done just as bad at the least. He's getting praise he doesn't deserve. If you want to praise the man, thank him for all the work he has done as a youth coach, not for being a shite caretaker manager.

Youngy had three of the hardest games possible not taking into account the cards he was dealt in the circumstances. Broon would have done well to take a point from those three games without he turmoil he has caused.

And I don't think anyone has said he should "get a medal" or such. But he did a great job given what he had to deal with.

Give him a break FFS.

Given this a body swerve - since my 'bile' was causing a concern and wondering whether I'd have to defend myself in some dark alley at 2 am for my outrageous comments.

I never look for a guaranteed points and I'm not moaning that we never won the games - Motherwell will never have a divine right to turn up and walk away with the spoils. However I think that if we can be arsed to travel to Fir Park to pay to see Motherwell then at the very least we deserve some determination to do the best for everyone associated with the club and to put some sweat on the shirt and compete in a football match

Compete! that's all

The job of any manager of a football team whether that at senior pro or under 19 is to pick, organise, instruct and fire up a team beforehand and if things require changing during the 90 then that as well.

If anyone on here thinks that - particularly in the Rangers game that any of that happened satisfactorally and that anyone deserves a round of applause then that's fair enough.

Like I say. poor team selection, no motivation, no fight, baffling substitution, total admiration of Rangers, inability to change things.

I can't applaud any of that.

That's not bile - that's an honest opinion

Given this a body swerve - since my 'bile' was causing a concern and wondering whether I'd have to defend myself in some dark alley at 2 am for my outrageous comments.

I never look for a guaranteed points and I'm not moaning that we never won the games - Motherwell will never have a divine right to turn up and walk away with the spoils. However I think that if we can be arsed to travel to Fir Park to pay to see Motherwell then at the very least we deserve some determination to do the best for everyone associated with the club and to put some sweat on the shirt and compete in a football match

Compete! that's all

The job of any manager of a football team whether that at senior pro or under 19 is to pick, organise, instruct and fire up a team beforehand and if things require changing during the 90 then that as well.

If anyone on here thinks that - particularly in the Rangers game that any of that happened satisfactorally and that anyone deserves a round of applause then that's fair enough.

Like I say. poor team selection, no motivation, no fight, baffling substitution, total admiration of Rangers, inability to change things.

I can't applaud any of that.

That's not bile - that's an honest opinion

:whistling: You say all that but think Gannon was a good manager? Gannon's December made Young's look like masterclass in management.... You've just explained in perfect words why it was correct to sack Gannon when we did (Poor Team Selection, No Motivation, No Fight, Worse than Baffling substitutions, inability to change things - although this was slightly not true as he was sure to change it for the worse).

Anyway we can put it all to bed. Young is back taking care of what he knows best, and we now have McCall in charge.

:whistling: You say all that but think Gannon was a good manager? Gannon's December made Young's look like masterclass in management.... You've just explained in perfect words why it was correct to sack Gannon when we did (Poor Team Selection, No Motivation, No Fight, Worse than Baffling substitutions, inability to change things - although this was slightly not true as he was sure to change it for the worse).

Anyway we can put it all to bed. Young is back taking care of what he knows best, and we now have McCall in charge.

mr gannon was sacked because some people ran to mr boyle's door like wee weans because they dont want to here some hard facts :nod:

mr gannon was sacked because some people ran to mr boyle's door like wee weans because they dont want to here some hard facts :whistling:

Hard facts like....

To get back in against Celtic you put on a teenage winger instead of John Sutton?

You play two teenage central defenders at Ibrox?

You pass the ball between your central defenders for a 30 odd passes and call it good football? Of course which it isn't. All it does it puts pressure on your team which is likely to lead to goals being conceded. Barcelona wouldn't dare do it - only a fucking idiot would get Motherwell do it when our game is so much more about pressure on the ball.

Those are some of the facts :nod:

You'd think it was a new thing players running to the chairmen, when it happens in football all over the world, all of the time.

Youngy had three of the hardest games possible not taking into account the cards he was dealt in the circumstances. Broon would have done well to take a point from those three games without he turmoil he has caused.

And I don't think anyone has said he should "get a medal" or such. But he did a great job given what he had to deal with.

Give him a break FFS.

Ditto. Young was left to get us through against the top 3 sides. I doubt any manager would have got the current side a point out of the potential 9.

Hard facts like....

To get back in against Celtic you put on a teenage winger instead of John Sutton?

You pass the ball between your central defenders for a 30 odd passes and call it good football? Of course which it isn't.

You'd think it was a new thing players running to the chairmen, when it happens in football all over the world, all of the time.

it wasn't the players :whistling:

Hard facts like....

You pass the ball between your central defenders for a 30 odd passes and call it good football? Of course which it isn't. All it does it puts pressure on your team which is likely to lead to goals being conceded. Barcelona wouldn't dare do it - only a fucking idiot would get Motherwell do it when our game is so much more about pressure on the ball.

If you are looking to build long term, then the answer to each of those is "Yes, why not"? Of course, trying to implement a plan like that is impossible when fans want instant results or prefer tackling hard and running like a headless chicken for 90 minutes, but it was worth a shot.

Remember - what we saw was the first 6 months of a massively rebuilt squad. Imagine what might have been achieved if JG had been allowed to wheel deal through another 2 or 3 transfer windows. Most teams in the SPL go through runs of poor results - that's why we can't compete with the OF.

You can blame Young for tactics during a game, but the players need to take responsibility for any lack of effort, or for not being able to pass a ball to someone wearing the same colour shirt as them.