Time To Go On Strike

Amber_nectar

I take the 'Play Off for the SPL Title' idea never got beyond tabloid speculation?

More like Hearts and United were the only ones making noises about, and everyone else were told by the Old Firm they better not even whisper a mention of it so it wasn't even discussed.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has voted for anything yet. That's not till the 17th. The Strategy group though I believe was Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Hibernian and St Mirren.

Why were the other SPL Clubs left out ? I'd be rather miffed if I were any of them. What right do we have over any of them ? None imho

Why were the other SPL Clubs left out ? I'd be rather miffed if I were any of them. What right do we have over any of them ? None imho

Strategy groups.

TBH I think the best thing for Scottish Football, as has been proven by this, is that when it comes to decisions on the professional game those involved (the clubs and their representatives) should have nothing whatsoever to do with the decisions making. They don't have a clue what the paying customer wants (which shouldn't be hard to find out) and until they can figure out what it is then they shouldn't be allowed to decide anything on our game.

Maybe next time they'll get it right, but I won't hold my breath.

god this is getting depressing. in fact it's a shameless kick in the teeth for just about every football fan in the country.

will they never learn?

a part of me [a very small part!] hopes we end up in the second tier so we can at least play some different teams for a while.

Don't you think that a ten team league is realistic for a country the size of Scotland's?

I used to think a 14/16 team league would be the way forward, but there would be too many meaningless games. With a ten team league there should be title, European and survival to play for all season.

I disagree with the comment that staying away won't make a difference. The Aberdeen fans staying away from the Aberdeen v Inverness game played a huge part in Aberdeen sacking McGhee. Clubs and the league need bums on seats and if that isn't happening then they will have to take radical change.

Next season that may happen naturally anyway due to the recession. Look at Celtic's attendances, where are there so called 'loyal' supporters?

The number of clubs in the league detracts from some more important issues such as ticket prices, safe standing, drinking in the grounds...all things that would get people back to games.

As long as the split is removed I really don't care how many are in the league - minimum of 10, maximum of 16 I think

i dont understand this 2 leagues of 10 format money wise, does this mean the tv deal + sponsorships will be for the top 10 only and there will be new deals negotiated for SPL2? or will the current/new deal cover both divisions?

Cant see the money or tv rights having much impact on the second tier and it all just seems window dressing to cover the fact that they want to revert to 10 team leagues!!

This topic has pissed me off for weeks. The imposters running the spl/sfa, whatever, should be out a job. Was it Heny Mcleish who did the "investigation" in to scottish football and his "radical shake up" conclusions are to go back in time 15 years??? We had a ten team league that didnt work back then, hence the change....now this hasnt worked so dont just go back!

Make it more competitive with play offs for europe, playoffs for relegation and more relegation spots etc.

I guess I sort of support the regionalisation of the lower league but would feel a bit sorry for fans of any of those teams. Unless would there be promotion from these to the spl2?

To add to that, and you may call me mental, but tell sky and there derisory tv offer to gtf - that would improve crowds. But theres absolutely no chance they will do that.

As someone who gaveup on watching the original 10 team league which IMHO killed all teleted youth development and lead to a league full of grafters (just like Accies on Sat). I will probalply revert to same and no longer follow football. Last time was for 17 years that being the same i would never return. A TEN team league will have the Scottish Game dying but on a par with the Welsh league. :whistling:

As far as im concerned the only way forward for Scottish football and to get fans back is 1 to reduce the admission price to £15 2. Let the Old Squirm join the English league and that would make it more interesting for us all. A 10 team SPL didn't work 1st time round and STILL wont work. I cant believe everyone's subscribing to this to mean one more home game against the 2 big Glasgow bigots....Honestly it defies belief. :whistling:

Sorry I ask so naive. But I'm not up to date.

Why want "they" reduce the SPL to 10 clubs?

Please excuse, but sometimes I get behind, not up to date and just as a German I do not understand absolutely everything. Does anyone have a brief explanation for me? :whistling:

Please excuse, but sometimes I get behind, not up to date and just as a German I do not understand absolutely everything. Does anyone have a brief explanation for me?

greed

greed

Ah ok it's about money. Let me guess. The Old Firm games? Fewer teams in the SPL, more Old Firm games will bring more money or something like that? This my naive conclusion from an outsider like me. :whistling:

Please excuse, but sometimes I get behind, not up to date and just as a German I do not understand absolutely everything. Does anyone have a brief explanation for me? :whistling:

Basically the SPL have had meetings and pretended to do research on the scottish game to decide on the best way forward for it's structure in order to improve the game. They claim the best way is going back to a ten team league which is what we had 10-15 years ago, which didnt work back then and wont work a second time round.

It would appear 85% of fans disagree but the guys running the SPL arent listening and are sticking with the ten team thing.