Yesterdays Match

del_ourbreed

if yesterdays match against inverness wasnt a good advert for summer football then i must have been at the wrong match. got soaked getting to the ground, got rained on when sitting half way up the east stand, got soaked again on the way home :O . i even felt sorry for Ross Forbes yesterday, every time he went to pass the ball the wind changed direction and when he had his chance in front of goal the wind and rain combined to get the ball tangled in his legs, poor bugger, cant be easy when mother nature is against you ;) .

I honestly think summer football could save Scottish football. Attendances would improve obviously. To say they wouldn't is just being negative for the sake of it.

Sky would become far more interested for obvious reasons and the product will look a hell of a lot better on the tv screens, with lush green pitches,bigger crowds and better football. Scottish summer isn't very long though. They could start April and finish at the end of September that's 6 months . How about they play each other twice in that time and use October November and December for the Scottish cup and cis cup. They get january,february and march off. Ohh i dont blimming know.Could someone more intelligent see if that would work out please.

Aye, summer football is the way to go. I wish all the pundits, managers, chairman would stop going on about a winter f*cking shutdown. You can see them voting in a winter shutdown for January, then we get hit with all the snow in November or December!!! Impossible to predict the most suitable month to shut down so they should just focus on summer football.

I've been against summer football because I was just not convinced the switch would increase crowds and I still hold that opinion.

If the weather is nice there is so much more to do than go to a football match. Why pay to go to a game when you can sit out side in the garden with a beer, or go to the park or a drive out to the coast or the countryside? And if its difficult now to get kids to come to football matches what chance do you have when the weather is good? There is also an idea that the Scottish summer is idyllic, with blue skies and blazing sunshine. I did the West Highland Way a few summers ago and believe me it was nothing like that, there was two days of snow in June!

However I am beginning to come round to summer football. The argument is shifting from increasing crowds to holding on to the crowds we already have. Supporters are leaving in droves and we can't continue with the status quo. We have to do SOMETHING but the problem is any change is as likely to kill the game stone dead as save it, like an operation where you have a 50/50 chance.

The facts are people are soft nowadays, especially younger people. I grow up in an era when the only heating in the home was a coal fire in the living room, never mind luxuries like hot water, central heating or double glazing. Most men worked in tough, physically demanding jobs in heavy engineering or the like.

Today that isn't the case and people are used to comfort. If the house was freezing there was nothing to stop you going out to a football match but if the house is nice and warm you are going to think twice. If you are used to discomfort and hard work, then discomfort on its own is a holiday, but most people aren't used to discomfort so it is a drag.

I'm more open to the idea now but you can't just say "Summer football will cure our ills" we have to really look at it in detail and see if it could work.

I think if the weather is better - football is a more attractive option for a family day or night out. Look back to our Euro games in recent seasons both here and Airdrie - good family turm-outs throughout. I think in summer weather it's a much better proposition for families.

I think it would boost our Euro prospects as we'd be up and running in terms of the season, the way Scandanavian teams are, by the time the euro season kicks off.

We should be looking to emulate the success in attendances, performances, stadia in Scandanavia - instead of looking to emulate our chums down south. Plus we don't have the cash to keep our playing surfaces in the same condition as the english top flight - with their lighting systems and whatnot

If we are so hamstrung by the TV dollar - as evidence from discussions with Doncaster has shown recently - then why not put ourselves out there as the only show in town for TV over the summer.

€11 to get in to Fortuna Dusseldorf v Energie Cottbus

€15 to get in to the Hamburg end(terrace) at the Veltins- Arena for FC Schalke v Hamburg.

Pints available throughout the game.

£40 for the trip.

Cost is not much more than your average away trip in Scotland minus the hassle. Two games, one in one of the best stadiums in the World featuring two excellent teams. What would you rather do?

€15 to get in to the Hamburg end(terrace) at the Veltins- Arena for FC Schalke v Hamburg.

£40 for the trip.

Cost is not much more than your average away trip in Scotland minus the hassle. Two games, one in one of the best stadiums in the World featuring two excellent teams. What would you rather do?

Since when was airport security less hassle than catching a train to Perth?

Prices, we've been through it all before. If you have 30,000 fans and a potential media market of 90 million people you can charge less at the gate if you have 3,000 fans and a potential media market of 5 million.

As for the final question, I'd rather see the team I've supported for 25 years over Dusseldorf or Cottbus.

£40 for the trip.

What's the point though if you don't support either of the teams?

getting wet n cold at footy is part of the game summer footy means folk will moan about going on holiday or its too hot etc no matter what folk moan

i actually enjoyed the game yesterday dont mind getting soaked the wind & rain made the players work harder i think

Don't say that, you will have some of the season ticket holders demanding to get wet before the PATG punters ;)

We should be looking to emulate the success in attendances, performances, stadia in Scandanavia - instead of looking to emulate our chums down south. Plus we don't have the cash to keep our playing surfaces in the same condition as the english top flight - with their lighting systems and whatnot

Spot on, we can't ever compete with the large clubs down south due to populus, TV money etc. etc. What the football assocoations and clubs have done in Scandinavia should be a role model for all countries of our size.

Summer football is seeming more and more like a no brainer, we need to try something FFS and try and stop the decline.

Starting the season a good bit before down South as well would bring in more TV money, no competition from the games in England and might open up our league to Sky viewers who just like watching football, no matter who the fuck is playing.

Yes summer football or at least a winter shutdown is a must as far as as im concerned. Oh and by the way that miss by Forbes yesterday wasn't to do with the weather it's because he's pish unfortunately. The ball came to him along the ground and all he had to do was side foot it with his left foot. He's pants and i've never saw a professional footballer who cannot run AT ALL!!! :lol:

............ summer footy means folk will moan about going on holiday or its too hot etc no matter what folk moan

Time we switched our calendar cycles imho. Summer football and summer schooling, with our main holidays in Jan/Feb ......... then people could buggar off to warmer climes and school kids wouldn't have to go to/from school in semi darkness.

I honestly think summer football could save Scottish football. Attendances would improve obviously. To say they wouldn't is just being negative for the sake of it.
It's nothing to do with being negative, and everything to do with looking at other countries. For example, when Ireland switched to summer football the attendances didn't change.

Oh and by the way that miss by Forbes yesterday wasn't to do with the weather it's because he's pish unfortunately. The ball came to him along the ground and all he had to do was side foot it with his left foot. He's pants and i've never saw a professional footballer who cannot run AT ALL!!! :wallbash:

You'll burn in hell for saying that