Motherwell V Hibernian

star sail

The eew awww chants at Graeme Smith are well justified.

My God, when you look at him and think of John Ruddy and Darren Randolph, is it any wonder that Hibs are struggling.

The guy is one of the worst goalkeepers I have ever had the misfortune to see.

Yes, I include Stevie Woods and John Gardiner, FUD.

harsh mate.

the season we finished third we wouldn't have done it without him. he had incredible performances up at pittodrie and at falkirk in feb 08 which won us points, was man of the match when we won at parkhead and then made a total wonder save at 1-1 at home against aberdeen the day we got europe. he was right in the poty running for us in 05/06 and 0/9 as well.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that theres much less traffic on here after a win.

I thought we did pretty well today, if unspectacularly against a dreadful hibs team.

Jones has the haircut and the socks over the knee of a proper winger, had a couple of decent touches but didn't look that sharp, hopefully it'll come though.

I genuinely can't remember a Motherwell team shutting out a team for a half, can anyone suggest any game? I mean, actively going out and shutting out a game from a winning position, especially for a half! Reassuring stuff and I though Hutchinson and Saunders both had terrific games.

It is pretty remarkable how bad hibs were to be honest. I'd be worried if I was in their shoes. They've got centre-halves that can't defend, strikers that can't score and a goalkeeper that can't save.

I genuinely can't remember a Motherwell team shutting out a team for a half, can anyone suggest any game? I mean, actively going out and shutting out a game from a winning position, especially for a half! Reassuring stuff and I though Hutchinson and Saunders both had terrific games.

either st johnstone game this season.

totally agree about hutchy and saunders. the pair of them are incredible in the air, saunders should be scoring 8 or 9 a season from set pieces he's unbelievably good at winning headers.

A good win today with Sutton and Hutchinson putting in impressive performances. Stephen Craigan concerns me though - he's been very reliable in the past but is now showing cracks most weeks. Jon Page did a job when he came on.

Not a great second half but that was down to tactics and SM's options were limited when Tom Hately had to retire. Hibs were very poor and Ian Murray put in his usual impersonation of a drunken thug at scaling time.

Steve Jones looks to have a few tricks in his locker when fully fit. Not so sure about Steven Meechan though. Given time and space he looks fine but will other sides afford him that. After the game, Catweazel's Ring aptly described him as being like a right footed Ross Forbes and that might prove to be a reasonable summing up.

Not a classic but the 3 points were important. Now who'd swap Darren Randolph for Graeme Smith?

either st johnstone game this season.

totally agree about hutchy and saunders. the pair of them are incredible in the air, saunders should be scoring 8 or 9 a season from set pieces he's unbelievably good at winning headers.

Shout. It was just a bizarre experience!

Agree with thw saunders comment,, was thinking at the first corner that he was a good optionnone of their centre halfs were going to get close and we knew smith wasn't coming...

F

harsh mate.

the season we finished third we wouldn't have done it without him. he had incredible performances up at pittodrie and at falkirk in feb 08 which won us points, was man of the match when we won at parkhead and then made a total wonder save at 1-1 at home against aberdeen the day we got europe. he was right in the poty running for us in 05/06 and 0/9 as well.

Football is all about opinions mate.

You disagree with mine and you have quoted 4 games out of his total games played.

The guy was / is a complete fud of a goalkeeper and I am glad we got well rid of the dick.

Are you saying he is better than Ruddy or Randolph?????

Hibs are fucking shite (it actually feels good typing that), they are fucking shite. Their players have no desire and no ability (a team of Kevin McBrides?), as someone else said, defenders who cannae defend and strikers who cannae score. I'd actually like to see the stats as I reckon they had far more attempts on target, all of which were battered straight at Randy. For me, Motherwell never got out of 2nd gear, nor did we need to - and that was also good to see.

Thought McCalls tactics were bang on. Jones looked decent on the left and was a lot nippier than I expected him to be - he'll do a job for us on the left until the Summer anyway!! Hutchison was easily our best player though, a real solid performance from a young guy who has been out of the 1st team for so long and it looks as though we wont miss Reynolds at all. The decision to bring Page on as a man-marker for Zemmamma was excellent from the management team, as he suffocted the wee dickhead in the middle of the park.

Not getting too far ahead of ourselves as Hibs were fucking shite, but credit where it is due to the team and management - we can only play what is put in front of us.

Anybody who said they wanted Derek Adams in as our manager can take a flying shite to themselves, a couple of weeks after coming back from a 13 week touchline ban he goes and gets himself sent to the stand for having a go at the 4th official for fuck all as far as I could see fae the Main Stand. On that note, I thought the officials were terrible for both teams, constantly giving fouls for fuck all between Hutch and Nish whenever they clashed in the air, giving free-kicks to players because they asked for them (Riorsdan springs to mind) and how McBride stayed on the park is beyond belief!!

Anyway the mascot enjoyed his day, apart from falling face 1st into the middle of the beach pre-match!! :thumbup:

Disappointed in the media reaction the game. Most of what I've heard on the BBC or read relates to Hibs losing - barely a mention of who they were playing against. The SoS takes the biscuit though - querying the legitimacy of our first goal; taking the ref to task for not playing the advantage rule when Hibs were about to score and only giving Steven Saunders a yellow card. Once again its time it lived up to its name SCOTLAND on Sunday. Really should be renamed Edinburgh on Sunday.

Still we have the satisfaction of being awarded the 3 points. :lol:

I thought it was an awkward fixture handled pretty well.

We all know the dangers that are there when a team in Hibs position come to play us, we've seen that film loads of times before, but we did pretty well.

Was good to see that the team and management played upon Buzz's deficiencies with cross balls and anytime we hurled a decent cross into their box they looked in trouble. Two good, well worked goals.

Rode our luck a couple of times when Craggs got into a fankle, though in fairness I doubt he should have been passed the ball at that point anyway, and we can't afford to give teams such clear-cut chances through our own errors as we have this week and last.

Hibs missing the penalty was crucial as well. Chucking on Nish and Riordan chasing one goal rather than two would have made it a different game entirely I think and would have tested our mettle a bit.

That said McCall didn't allow that to happen. In terms of entertainment value it completely killed the game stone dead but tactically bringing on Meechan rather than the more creative Forbes for Hateley and then sticking Johnny Page in front of the defence too just completely bogged Hibs down. As long as the forsaking of just about anything attacking wise doesn't become too regular a trait I'm happy that its option that we have in our armoury when the need is there to kill a game.

Overall pretty happy. Decent debut from Jones. Nice to get a further clean sheet, couple of goals. All in all pretty good.

Disappointed in the media reaction the game. Most of what I've heard on the BBC or read relates to Hibs losing - barely a mention of who they were playing against. The SoS takes the biscuit though - querying the legitimacy of our first goal; taking the ref to task for not playing the advantage rule when Hibs were about to score and only giving Steven Saunders a yellow card. Once again its time it lived up to its name SCOTLAND on Sunday. Really should be renamed Edinburgh on Sunday.

Still we have the satisfaction of being awarded the 3 points. :lol:

They obviously forgot to mention the 2 times that Motherwell shoud have been given advantage. Humphrey has a free run at their shit full back after the Hateley foul. Murphy is clean through for what was more than likely going to be 3. The ref pulls both back.

Football is all about opinions mate.

You disagree with mine and you have quoted 4 games out of his total games played.

The guy was / is a complete fud of a goalkeeper and I am glad we got well rid of the dick.

Are you saying he is better than Ruddy or Randolph?????

i mentioned four games but i also mentioned that he was in the top 3 of our player of the year twice. in his first season he played his way into the scotland squad and after his final season had a few clubs chasing his signature. he had a dodgy spell when malpas was in charge but he came back from that and had an extremeley solid two years under mchghee, he's clearly not as good as ruddy or randolph but it's revisionism to say that he did nothing for us.

Reading that East Coast rag after any of the Embra sides defeats to a "wee Weegie" team is always a good laugh!

The Sunday Mail's at it as well. Have to say I'm rather surprised as I though the ref missed a lot of decisions that should have gone our way too and Murray and McBride both got away with murder. Maybe it's just the C&A tinted specs but I didn't think they got a raw deal any more than we did.

Smith had a decent first season with us, then he had a terrible second season where he was dropped for Colin Meldrum TWICE.

Since then he has been absolutely useless. Occassionally he'll pull off a good save and he's not bad on penalties but generally he is terrible.

The Stevie Woods comparison is pretty close to the truth.

i mentioned four games but i also mentioned that he was in the top 3 of our player of the year twice. in his first season he played his way into the scotland squad and after his final season had a few clubs chasing his signature. he had a dodgy spell when malpas was in charge but he came back from that and had an extremeley solid two years under mchghee, he's clearly not as good as ruddy or randolph but it's revisionism to say that he did nothing for us.

Smith was a good shot stopper, and that's about the limit of his abilities.

He was/is still, shite at dealing with cross balls and can't kick! He was a liability whenever a corner or freekick was swung into the box and it's nice to see that we can now take advantage of his deficiencies.

Maybe we have been spoiled with Ruddy and Randy, but in comparison, Smith was and blatantly still is, a bombscare!

PS- I still haven't seen Ruddy or Randolph give blatant shut up/fuck off gestures to the home fans the way I saw Smith do on more than one occasion. Smith took his 'big move' to Brighton to get in the Scotland squad. I see thats worked out well for him. In fairness, its actually been the best thing (goal keeper wise) that could have happened to us.

The people that pay his wages??
Poor argument. Even if it was true that his wages were funded 100% by the set of fans that yelled dog's abuse (which they were not), you'd have to be a precious wee petal to become so outraged at the minor retaliation.

thought hutch had a great game again...........was worried about what NIsh would do, and is previous seasons, Stokes, Riordan, NIsh and Miller have tore us a new one. He got stuck in, put himself in where it hurts and still looks very composed on the ball. Sunday will test his metal - if he continues to play well, he could be the next one on the way out of FP. When Nish came on, he never game him anything - on the deck on in the air. He certainly let him know he was there. Pass marks for everyone on saturday, altho IMO Hately is still never a central midfielder. With Meechan and Page coming on, and the latter doing a great job of breaking everything up -

1 - does that mean that McCall sees more in them than he does in Forbes?

2 - 451 - possibly play that against Rangers, with Page being asked to do that agianst Naismith or Weiss?

3 - can Page get in the team?? if so, where? any time I have seen him, I have been impressed

was surprised at their bench on saturday - wonder if CC decided to drop them all after the Ayr game

would have taken nearly every single one of them for our team.....Hogg, Riordan, Nish, De Graf, Wotherspoon