Raith Rovers

makaveli

I was at a Motherwell vs Raith Rovers bounce game yesterday, Motherwell won 3-1 Page scoring the 1st from a cross from Collet and Esteban scoring twice. This guy Collet looked special and Navarro was tight at the back. Estebans goals were brilliant I must say and Collet with deliveries that were EPL standard.

If the possible new signing turns out to be mothing short of sensational then of course there is a case, but I feel there's another centre half needs replacing rather than Hutchinson.

I also believe, like many, that it is completely counter productive to bring in a young foreign player on a short contract and play him at the expense of one of our own young players that have come through the ranks.

If the possible new signing turns out to be mothing short of sensational then of course there is a case, but I feel there's another centre half needs replacing rather than Hutchinson.

I also believe, like many, that it is completely counter productive to bring in a young foreign player on a short contract and play him at the expense of one of our own young players that have come through the ranks.

But who says if we do sign Navarro he will be playing in the first team?

the Cypriot doesn't

I'm kinda with Milo on this one. We have to give our promising young lads like Hutchinson a run in the team to see if they're up to it longer term. He's on a fairly lengthy contract and I reckon if he shines in the next few months we could persuade him to sign a longer deal (even if it is an extra 1 year). It gives us a far better chance of getting a decent transfer fee for him, which we're going to start to need more & more. If Navarro signs it would probably be an 18-month deal so even if he was better than what we've got then his resale value wouldn't be as high because genuine interest wouldn't start until probably this time next year.

However, I take your point. If he was good enough to improve the team then absolutely, give him a chance. For me, that would mean probably bringing him in for Craigan. I don't see Hamilton or St. Mirren overtaking us in the league but I also don't see us challenging Hearts for a Euro place so it would be a good spell to bring in a few youngsters.

So we shouldn't play Page either - since he was technically a Portsmouth Youth Product....

What nonsense, if he is better than our young defenders then we better sign him up. No point letting him go because a) he wasn't with us when 16-17 and b) because he is foreign (which by the way so is Hutchinson and Page)

So we shouldn't play Page either - since he was technically a Portsmouth Youth Product....

What nonsense, if he is better than our young defenders then we better sign him up. No point letting him go because a) he wasn't with us when 16-17 and b) because he is foreign (which by the way so is Hutchinson and Page)

I dont understand the argument and i agree wellfan.

If Navarro is a better player than Hutchy of Craigan then get him in, and as i said. who says he is going to start for us? he could be used as a backup in the squad.

If he's good get him bottom line

You have to remember that guys like Hutchinson, Page, Murphey etc are still very young and Motherwell will not want to risk burn out on these guys so it makes sense to increase the squad size.

The Cypriot guy does seem to be a fair bit down the pegging order, but Motherwell might just see him as one for the future as they might with the guy from Madrid.

I agree. If he's good enough sign him up & get him in the team no matter what his nationality or footballing background is. I'm not sure if this was a reply to me or not but my point about Hutchinson (and fo Page, Pollock, Meechan etc) is not that he's come completely from start to finish out of our youth system (very few players are). I know he was scouted & signed from the North East but my point was based solely on him having a fairly long-term contract with us and should be given a chance to see if he shines, attracts interest and possibly goes for a sizeable transfer fee.

QUOTE (Wellfan1984 @ Jan 19 2011, 10:30 AM)

You know exactly what I mean but then you never miss an opportunity to be a pedantic c**t.

I agree. If he's good enough sign him up & get him in the team no matter what his nationality or footballing background is. I'm not sure if this was a reply to me or not but my point about Hutchinson (and fo Page, Pollock, Meechan etc) is not that he's come completely from start to finish out of our youth system (very few players are). I know he was scouted & signed from the North East but my point was based solely on him having a fairly long-term contract with us and should be given a chance to see if he shines, attracts interest and possibly goes for a sizeable transfer fee.

I'd love Hutch to shine but if this Jamie character is better than why not. he may even sign a 3 year deal? Although was there not talk he's also a right back, so it might be Hateley/Saunders we're discussing losing his spot

I agree that we should always be playing our strongest team and as much as I admire his spirit and work ethic I think it is time that we start working towards replacing Craigan long term with whoever is the best candidate. Whether it be Hutch, Saunders, Page or Navarro (if he signs), that is used just now in place of Reynolds, over the next season or two, Craigan should be gradually moved aside to allow two of these young guys to cement their place as our new centre back pairing.