Are The Ones Who Run Our Beautiful Club......

Taff

I know some will say, here he goes again bla bla bla but i was up at my ex mrs house yesterday and her mam and dad were there with her wee brother. Her dad invited me to a meal Sunday night and i said i don't know if i will make it because of the game. He said "who are they playing son" :wacko:

(her family have never been big well fans but are the type to come out of the wood work for big games)

Anyway i told them about the semi and he hadn't a clue about the game :wacko: ;;I

I got a call of the ex last night asking me if i want to go to the game with them as her dads gone and bought tickets for the game :O

What I'm saying is folks, how many other part time motherwell fans dont even know about the game Sunday? Do motherwell rely to much on word of mouth and the Internet?

The fact is that there are people out there willing to spend there cash and back the team on big occasions, so shouldn't the club be targeting them insted of being content on what they got?

are the club even putting on buses for the game?

Who'll be the first to say it................ach well...here goes.......stay away from the ex!!!

Seriously though, you're probably right, Motherwell haven't done enough to promote this match in my opinion. Similarly with the recent open forum regarding the changes to the SPL.

I suppose an advertisement in the local papers wouldn't do any harm but it's Motherwell we're talking about remember.

True but it's Rangers we're playing. Many people of other fans at work (mainly Hibs and Hearts since I work in Edinburgh) didn't even know there was a Semi Final on this weekend.

get involved with shops like asda or the brandon parade. get Large posters (like iv said before) and get them up everywhere. Get into the community and let folk know this is there town. Reach out to the whole town and county. There's hundreds they could do instead of hiding in there little corner of motherwell. Fight to become the towns club instead of just a shy club in the town.

this is the first site i found. they even have there own community centre/Leisure Complex

http://www.mfcic.co.uk/

Obviously we dont have thee cash but it shows what could be done and how little they do at fir park. Yes they do wee bits and bobs but again they rely on word of mouth or the Internet. Not all potential motherwell fans will be regular visitors to the website.

get involved with shops like asda or the brandon parade. get Large posters (like iv said before) and get them up everywhere. Get into the community and let folk know this is there town. Reach out to the whole town and county. There's hundreds they could do instead of hiding in there little corner of motherwell. Fight to become the towns club instead of just a shy club in the town.

The vast majority of the football supporting public in the motherwell area are followers of the Ugly sisters from Glasgow, so they dont give a Feck about what happens at Fir Park. The rest of the non football following public dont care at all and won't be interested in anything the club does.

If by some miracle we get to the CIS final by beating Rangers then we will probably have thousands of " die hard fans " all with shiny new scarfs and tops, and struggling to name a player at the game.

If we were a one club town, like Inverness then getting involved in the community is a great idea but where we are we have always sufferred for being too close to Glasgow and that wont change

Sorry Wellmaninwishaw I have to defend the club and say they are far from lazy.

Marketing is far more complicated than sticking a few posters up.

Leeann Dempster is really passionate about positioning Motherwell as a true community club. She made this very clear at the forum on Monday night. She will happily talk to you until the cows come home about what this involves (e.g. 100s of kids through the doors at Firpark each week on non-match days and working with disadvantaged groups) and the benefits to the long term future of the club (i.e. increased season ticket holders and government money).

Sorry Wellmaninwishaw I have to defend the club and say they are far from lazy.

Marketing is far more complicated than sticking a few posters up.

Leeann Dempster is really passionate about positioning Motherwell as a true community club. She made this very clear at the forum on Monday night. She will happily talk to you until the cows come home about what this involves (e.g. 100s of kids through the doors at Firpark each week on non-match days and working with disadvantaged groups) and the benefits to the long term future of the club (i.e. increased season ticket holders and government money).

Yip totally agree

I dont want to be too harsh on the club, however I think the general point is a good one given the poor ticket sales.

It is quite easy to find out ticket information if you are interested in the club and want to go to the game, but as we know there are only around 3000 genuinely interested in doing this.

The club desperately needs money.

I dont know if it would have been financially viable to put on free buses, but, if like the original poster suggested this was accompanied by a poster / leaflet campaign in Motherwell town centre you immediately make the offer more attractive to the fair weather supporter as they then dont have to worry about how to get there, where to park, if they can have a drink etc etc....

Sometimes you have to make life easy for people to get them motivated to do things as they will just not do things off their own bat.

I know some people will say, why bother, if there not interested enough then f*** them, but I want the best players at Fir Park that the club can afford and if that means targeting the money in the pockets of folk who dont normally go to Fir park then I for one think we should be doing it.

The staff at FP are far from lazy but there has been something missing from the ticket sales 'drive'.

Opportunities to see Motherwell are special occassion which are few and far between. For whatever reason however, the sense of anticipation hasn't materialised for most folks this time round.

As long as the players are fired up for it, that'll do me.

I know John Boyle very well and have the utmost admiration for what he has invested financially and emotionally in MFC. As a business model, the club is not viable. It is my belief that only the emotional attachment of the the fans of the club that make the continued support of the board a reason for them to continue.

If you had a good few quid in the bank would you invest it in a venture knowing that, long term, it would make you a huge loss. Would you have knocked back Tommy Coakley's advances knowing that it would give you a reasonable return on what you invested?

So, here's to John Boyle - and - his rant on Sky was one of the best I've seen in modern football. Nearly on a par with Delia Smith!

Guys. I'm Charlie Bennett Head of Adult Learning and Motherwell Fc in the Community. As such I run the Club's Community Programme. I've noticed a couple of comments on the forums recently referring to our community programme.

Motherwell Football Club are very active in the community and we should probably make our fans more aware of what we are achieving, and the very positive effect our work is having on individuals, groups, and local communities.

I'll have a chat with 'Flow and maybe get a special feature on our work on the Club website, and the programme.

I'll just give a couple of wee examples just now. In the last 5 months over 80 people have achieved an IT qualification in our Learning Centre. Our Fit Fans in Training programme is the most successful in the Premier League, and the numbers of young people coming along to our community coaching sessions has increased by 30%. In fact we are very close to putting up the SOLD OUT sign on eight of our community courses.

If any one would like more information on our Community Programme and our development plans you can email me at Charlie.Bennett@motherwellfc.co.uk and I will get back to you asap.

WelsmaninWell - I note some of your comments and would welcome the opportunity to alleviate your concerns. If you give me a ring on 01698 239 926 I'd be happy to meet with you and reassure you of our commitment to local communities.

With the greatest respect, the thread wasn't really having a go at the clubs work in the community, more having a go at the poor ticket sales for the semi final and the fact that people in the community were not aware that the game was on and that the club could maybe have done more to promote sales. Two totally different things IMO.