our chances,murph x 2?should 've done better 3 mins to go

saunders header

jenno's rocket

excellent corners from hammy,asking to be put away

lasleys GOAL

randolph little to do

this game has the nack of kicking you in the plums

you don't get what you deserve

Not sure what the thoughts were but i was upset that when Jones was brought on Murphy was still played wide left.

Only thought can be that Jones was brought on to link the mid with the attack, a sort of player we don't really have. It was worked not to bad to be fair. Still would have liked to see Murph more central. but thought murphy had a poor game today.

Stuart McCall got his tactics almost right but not quite. Agree Murphy can't play wide left, and he should not have played there.

In the first half we played far too deeply and that possibly cost us the tie. Rangers' first goal was horrendous defending and there really was no need for it. Second half we were too slow to make changes.

Still SM managed to prevent us from sustaining a hammering so he did something right.

Report card: reasonable but scope for improvement.

My real gripe with today is that Humphrey (or Humphries as an old fella behind me kept shouting!!!) should have been hugging the touchline and using his main tool - speed. He was up against Papac ffs!!

He was doing it for the last 10 mins and it was so effective!

Humphrey - I think he's great but he's a winger. The sooner he realises the better!

My real gripe with today is that Humphrey (or Humphries as an old fella behind me kept shouting!!!) should have been hugging the touchline and using his main tool - speed. He was up against Papac ffs!!

He was doing it for the last 10 mins and it was so effective!

Humphrey - I think he's great but he's a winger. The sooner he realises the better!

I suspect that Humphrey was simply following the tactical plan, which seemed to be to contain Rangers.

Yes, it was frustrating that he only started running at his man towards the end of the game, but I don't think it was necessarily his choice.

We played very well and came very close so there is an arguement that the tactics were good and worked to a certain extent. That said, Murphy is wasted out left and I absolutely cannot abide a strategy that allows the oppostion to waltz into our half and given time and space to find their passes. I prefer us to to put much more pressure on the ball.

With hindsight, McCall probably got the tactics right for a large part of the game, but I personally thought he could have changed it to be more offensive about 5-10 mins after our goal.

The midfield trio of Lasley, Jennings & Hately were superb, and this is not a particular criticism of them, but what we miss is a midfielder, the likes of Phil who would collect deep in our half and power forward and quickly change defense to attack. Pearson was also in that mould.

We'll see if the remainder of the day brings anything

MON RA DOSSERS

It's early days yet. I do think McCall is going for caution first though. It's a shame cos we don't half look good going forward.

If we had played yesterday, without caution first before launching attacks when smart to do so, we would have, and have in the past, been reamed.

Not sure what the thoughts were but i was upset that when Jones was brought on Murphy was still played wide left.

Only thought can be that Jones was brought on to link the mid with the attack, a sort of player we don't really have. It was worked not to bad to be fair. Still would have liked to see Murph more central. but thought murphy had a poor game today.

I agree, i though when Jones came on for Hateley we would have switched to 4-4-2 with Murphy joing Sutton up front and Jones out left. Can't complain too much though, contained them excellently while still managing to make a load of chances for ourselves. Besides it would've been unfair to have dropped Murphy for the game and let the new boy take his place

That said, Murphy is wasted out left and I absolutely cannot abide a strategy that allows the oppostion to waltz into our half and given time and space to find their passes. I prefer us to to put much more pressure on the ball.

Couldn't agree more. I can well understand the need for a cautious opening to avoid an early goal but I cannot understand sitting too deeply when opponents are running at your defence. It doesn't matter how poor the attacker's shooting might be in theory, he might hit an uncharacteristic one off thunderbolt, it might take a deflection, the goalie might make an error. You just can't take unnecessary chances - we did and it cost us. Even the poorest of opponents can deliver on target if given sufficeint space and time.