The Francis Jeffers Thread

ian8

He didn't get "sent packing" from the Aussie League but, please, don't let that stand in the way of your agenda....
I don;t have an agenda Haggis. I believe he got sacked didn't he? I am happy to stand corrected if thats wrong.

David - I am not being optomistic. I was just making a comparison. Frankly, I am neither excited or depressed by the prospect of Jeffers, but IF he wears the claret and amber then he should get the support of all of us.

I don;t have an agenda Haggis. I believe he got sacked didn't he? I am happy to stand corrected if thats wrong.
You are wrong. He was on a 10 match (I believe) deal in Autralia which both parties wanted to extend. However, they couldn't agree on terms, so Jeffers moved on.

Have to agree with these posts. Jeffers has been pants for years. Probably isn't anywhere near match fit and out of 300 names McCall is handed this is the guy he comes up with. :(

You're right; all 299 were better than Francis Jeffers and McCall didn't try sign any of them, he just went for Jeffers and that's that.

Have to agree with these posts. Jeffers has been pants for years. Probably isn't anywhere near match fit and out of 300 names McCall is handed this is the guy he comes up with. :(

not having a dig at you mate, .......but does anyone other than McCall know who the other 299 names were ??.....if not then are we able to say for sure that there was or wasnt anyone better on the list ??

and can anyone tell me a striker thats got a proven goal scoring record, a history of being injury free, not attached to any club at the moment, prepared to move to Scotland....and play for ridiculously low wages ?????

sure as fuck aint a lot of names fitting the bill springing to my mind immediately !

Jeffers wouldn't have been my first choice, but theres a huge list of players that have come and gone through the doors at Fir Park that are the same.

some of them have proved us all wrong, some have slipped away un-noticed, so lets give the guy a fair crack of the whip at Fir Park.

not comparing apples and oranges, but if you had sent a scout to see Forlan while he was at Man Utd, the report would have been along the lines of "...over-rated and shit . don't touch him with a barge pole!!"

a scout watching him at any other club would be raving about him.....

tin hat at the ready ;)

Would we not be better trying out the young boys rather than wasting a wage on someone like Francis Jeffers, who a) we wont sign and sell on for a fee and b) even if he plays well will move on to another team in the summer.

The only way we'll get by in the future is by improving and selling on what we have. The money we make by moving people on is more important than finishing 6th rather than 7th or 8th.

We are playing the young boys though. I'm happy to take McCall's judgement on whether they're ready or not. A bit of experience is fine for me and it does seem to be a fairly low risk transfer. He can't be on big money, if he does the biz then we get the goals and we can bring the kids through at the start of next season, a bit older, a bit wiser and more ready for the first team. If he doesn't, he leaves and we do the same.

Would of thought this would be the ideal time to be playing the likes of Smith, Pollock, McHugh (in six weeks). When there is nothing riding on our upcoming games. We wont go down. We may gain a place or two, but forget europe. Unable to score in the league, haemorraghing points to teams directly above/below us, an apathetic fanbase. Frannie Jeffers isnt going to get people flocking back, but unearthing a local gem or two just might.

..... When there is nothing riding on our upcoming games......

what about the difference between a top six finish or not, an extra game against one of the OF (+8000 crowd) or an extra game against accies (+3000 crowd) which works out at roughly an extra £60,000 to £100,000. As far as I'm concerned, with the state we're in, thats a fuckin hell of a lot to play for!

Can someone please explain to me how this 'signing' if it comes to fruition is a disaster, financially, when we lost 4 players who would probably of been the top end on the wage bill,when we've only brought two players in since the turn of the year?

We need players in the area he plays in, regardless as to whether he is a success or not, FFS it's a short term deal!

So for all the naysayers who say this signing is gonna put us in a relegation dogfight, if he doesn't sign...where will we end up?

If he does sign and doesn't score where will we end up?

If he does come and ...godforsake... he scores the odd winner (hopefully :( ) where will we end up?

I'm I wrong in thinking, please correct me if i am wrong, we'll just need to wait and see!!!

But as a Well fan I couldn't give a shit of his past record, it's his Motherwell record I'm concerned about, and I'll cheer him on as soon as he put's his feet on the hallowed 'turf' of firpark!

what about the difference between a top six finish or not, an extra game against one of the OF (+8000 crowd) or an extra game against accies (+3000 crowd) which works out at roughly an extra £60,000 to £100,000. As far as I'm concerned, with the state we're in, thats a fuckin hell of a lot to play for!

Typical short term outlook. We'll survive if we dont make top six. I'd rather start producing some young players we can sell on. Once Murphy goes the well begins to look dry. We've been able to strengthen our squad in the past because we've sold players like McDonald, Clarkson, Quinn, Porter. Another game against Celtic/Rangers is worth fuck all in the grand scheme of things. Time to stop expecting Glaswegian hand outs to tide us by.

Typical short term outlook.......Once Murphy goes the well begins to look dry.

Short term view my arse - more like a realistic view. Do you honestly think that we have a couple of youngsters ready to play week in, week out? We did that with Clarkson and nearly ruined him! After his 1st season he went off the boil for the next 18months and endured a hell of a lot of abuse from some 'Well fans. Is this what you want for the young guys we have now?

Once we've secured a top 6 finish then we can start giving the young guys a chance.

As for the well looking dry - your having a laugh! Saunders and Hutchison both look like they could make us money in a year or two and I've every confidence that we will bring through one or two of the others you mentioned but not just yet.

Short term view my arse - more like a realistic view. Do you honestly think that we have a couple of youngsters ready to play week in, week out? We did that with Clarkson and nearly ruined him! After his 1st season he went off the boil for the next 18months and endured a hell of a lot of abuse from some 'Well fans. Is this what you want for the young guys we have now?

Once we've secured a top 6 finish then we can start giving the young guys a chance.

As for the well looking dry - your having a laugh! Saunders and Hutchison both look like they could make us money in a year or two and I've every confidence that we will bring through one or two of the others you mentioned but not just yet.

It could be argued that our most consistent period in terms of league position and european football has came on the back of the whole administation fiasco, being forced to play boys who in your view would not be ready for first team football and selling them on for a healthy sum. Is Gary Smith, Bob McHugh and the likes ready for first team football?? No idea. I'd hazard a guess and say they would at least bring to the table what Casagolda does right now.

Your right, for a period Clarkson got pelters. But the bottom line is his departure helped Gannon rebuild what we seen before us last season. He's earning a fortune banging in goals in a better league and we managed to rebuild a thin squad. That is how we survive. Self sufficiency rather than the begging bowl.

Hutchison will hopefully one day move on for a big fee but there is an obvious injury question mark that will take a while to shake off before he goes for a substantial amount of cash.

Saunders...not in his current state. A departing captain and a shift to centre back could revive his development. There is a reason why Mr Knox used to refer to him as 'Goal a game'...it certainly wasnt for his striking prowess.

Forbes...no. Hateley...no. The Humph...jury is still out.

Well needs to be filled rapidly before next summers transfer window comes round. Those stadium repairs wont pay for themselves (nor with a few old firm pennies).

FFS Typical. Everybody moans when we dont sign a striker during the window and as soon as we do, he is already getting slated. Some "fans" are never happy and look for something or someone to moan at. "lets give youth a chance" weve been doing that already for years. If McCall doesnt feel they are ready yet ill trust his judgment cause he knows a hell of a lot more about football and the players than anyone ranting on here. As for Jeffers as soon as he puts on that Motherwell shirt he gets full support from me.

I'd say you're being a bit unfair.

Saunders is 19 and a full international. Aye, he makes mistakes from time to time but everyone can see his potential, especially in the air.

Hutchinson I think we all have high, high hopes for.

Randolph is on a three year contract and is very consistent.

Humphrey has another 2(?) years here, if he can be more consistent we could get a fee, especially with others looking at him already, hence the extension.

Hateley has gone off the boil but is again, 21 and on a solid contract.

We've heard some ringing endorsements of the kids in the under-19s as well, who'll hopefully be able to step up in the next few years. I don't see why we couldn't get fees for any or all of those players at some point.

We'll see what happens I guess, but gone are the days we signed players like Bobby Graham, Peter Marinello, Vic Davidson etc. for likely small sums of money who all turned out to play for the shirt and achieved great status at Motherwell. I think those days have gone when we are signing players like the unknown Casagolda and Jeffers, whose record is posted above.

Personally would rather we took a punt on a lower league player who we could have tied up for longer, with lower wage demands such as Rory McAllister, we dont always have to look towards England, when the likes of Dorrans, Griffiths, etc have never played in the SPL and have made the transistion to better leagues.