The Francis Jeffers Thread

ian8

Personally would rather we took a punt on a lower league player who we could have tied up for longer, with lower wage demands such as Rory McAllister, we dont always have to look towards England, when the likes of Dorrans, Griffiths, etc have never played in the SPL and have made the transistion to better leagues.

Maybe that's the plan in the summer when some of these guys might be out of contract, with Jeffers in to help tide us over until then.

We've heard some ringing endorsements of the kids in the under-19s as well, who'll hopefully be able to step up in the next few years. I don't see why we couldn't get fees for any or all of those players at some point.

Well lets start bringing them in just now. Twenty minutes..odd appearances before the season ends. Basically what jeffers/casagolda will/should get.

And the ranting/raving boy a few posts back..maybe you crack one off whenever you see or hear any well news, some of us like to look at decisions made by our clubs custodians and some we question. Have a look on other forums an you.ll see we're no more paranoid/angry/miserable/doom an gloom as the rest. Also have exactly the same wee factions...happy clappy boys who'll toe the party line, the seniors who have been going to fitba for 40 plus years, c***s who are never happy, boys who think the worlds about to end with every decision there club makes, c***s who try to be funny, insider types who think they know everything going on, the loyal ex pats, birds, foreigh supporters, genuine discussion types who cant stand the nonsense and swearing. Group yourselves accordingly

Couldn't agree more Stef. To quote Eliza Doolittle lyric in her song our fans are "99% an embarrassment".

Exactly who do our fans think we are or expect us to be? We have no money and average home gates of about 3500. We are never going to attract a top class manager or top class players as w can't afford them. And why would we expect them to come to us?

So many fans have ridiculously high expectations and I don't understand why. It's not like we've fallen like Nottingham Forest for instance going from winning league titles and European cups to the lower divisions. Our biggest success has been in maintaining SPL/Premier League football for over 25 years. Look at our recent record - one top 3 finish inside what 14 years and one semi final in the last 5. It's 20 years since we were in the Scottish cup final which we won.

So who does anyone expect us to be Barcelona? There's a guy sits behind me in the stand and anytime a pass goes astray you'd think he was about to have a coronary. But he's not the only one. The constant stream of negativity towards our players is as tiresome as it is relentless. We criticise a manager before he's been appointed. We criticise him for not signing anyone. We criticise him when he signs someone. We write players off before they've even played for us.

Christ, is it any wonder we have a reputation in football for being the least supportive and hardest fans to please?

It's long overdue that a reality check was delivered and a large dose of sanity was administered.

Oh and the behaviour of some of the fans yesterday brought shame on us all.

The problem is that the January transfer window is very difficult. Previous managers, including Jim Gannon said that. Most decent players are on contracts until the summer months. If you want to bring in decent talent at this time of year you have to pay a transfer fee. If you lose players they'll be hard to replace. Thats the way it is. The time to judge Stuart McCall, on hs transfer dealings, will be at the end of August.

Its certainly an interesting signing and our most controversial for a long time, on statistics alone you wouldnt in all honesty touch this guy with a barge pole .Here is what McCalls says...

"Frannie's very hungry. He wants to do well, he wants to score goals,"

"I think he is what we need at the moment, a lad who is a goalscorer in the box."

It's all about attempting to find the right balance.

I've no doubt that the Pollock's, Smith's and Meechan's of the squad will get an opportunity before the end of the season, the dearth of bodies in the squad will see to that itself, but their usage does I believe have to be structured and planned where at all possible.

You not only risk burning a young player out too much, you leave them susceptible to completely losing their confidence if they suddenly find that they are miles off the pace, given what they've been used to, and don't appear to have the confidence of the support in the stands.

There also has to be management of the senior players as well, some of whom due to the European runs over the last two seasons will I suspect becoming a bit leg weary. The usage of Casagolda the other against Killie was a sensible one by McCall I felt, giving him game time against a half-decent team - the sort he'd likely be facing week in, week out, rather than against a Third Division team yesterday, whilst giving a player a break in John Sutton.

The arrival of Jeffers if it comes off, will only add to those options of saving Murphy and Sutton for games where its a bit more necessary.

If McCall replicates that where he can then I think we are already doing what lots want in giving time to fringe player to help them come on, but still not giving up on finishing as high as we can either.

Whilst I am sceptical, the more I think about it, the more I am encouraged.

We played Killie off the park and created a ton of chances. Had Blackman been in our team we would have won the game by a country mile. Jeffers skills (in his prime) was at being in the right place at the right time and finishing the chance off. If we can make those chances, hopefully he will do a better job at converting them than casagolda.

Christ, is it any wonder we have a reputation in football for being the least supportive and hardest fans to please?

Really? Is this an unspoken truth of Scottish Football or was a survey carried out with the conclusion that Motherwell fans are the least supportive? Could it maybe be the case that you have made this up to make a point?

Let's take just one example of the worst support in Scottish Football- last week at Hampden. The supporters of the winning team were bailing out with 15 mins to go. The supporters of the losing team were still singing at the end giving their team a great send off. Which set of fans were the Motherwell support?

I don't know how Jeffers is going to work out but his scoring record (and we are signing a striker)

is rotten. If the Motherwell support did not query such a signing some on here would be moaning about how Motherwell fans will support any old donkey (Casagolda anyone). Fans of any club will react in similar ways, what pisses me off is the fans that preach about how fellow fans should/should not react.

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall has handed a deal to former Everton striker Francis Jeffers.

Jeffers is back from his stint in Australia with the Newcastle Jets and signed with Well until June.

Motherwell were hoping to have the hitman on board for yesterday's cup clash with Stranraer but were unable to complete the paperwork.

During his time at Ibrox six years ago, Jeffers failed to find the target in 14 appearances before heading back south for spells with Charlton, Blackburn, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday.

Well lets start bringing them in just now. Twenty minutes..odd appearances before the season ends. Basically what jeffers/casagolda will/should get.

And the ranting/raving boy a few posts back..maybe you crack one off whenever you see or hear any well news, some of us like to look at decisions made by our clubs custodians and some we question. Have a look on other forums an you.ll see we're no more paranoid/angry/miserable/doom an gloom as the rest. Also have exactly the same wee factions...happy clappy boys who'll toe the party line, the seniors who have been going to fitba for 40 plus years, c***s who are never happy, boys who think the worlds about to end with every decision there club makes, c***s who try to be funny, insider types who think they know everything going on, the loyal ex pats, birds, foreigh supporters, genuine discussion types who cant stand the nonsense and swearing. Group yourselves accordingly

:mellow: Sums up the keyboard football philosophers perfectly.

The ones I love the most though are the cool dudes that post smart arsed comments aimed at winding up all those geeky keyboard thumpers who they want to bite, then in their cool dude circles congratulate themselves when somebody does bite with abstract little slap on the back comments to each other, not realising that they themselves are part of the very same sad b$*t$*d culture they aim to mock. Love those guys!

give the guy a chance ffs. in my opinion we are the fucking worst supporters in scottish football the guy hasn't even played for us but is being labelled shite already!

He's being labelled as shite because his record over the past ten years, which spans a good number of clubs tells us that.

He's scored 17 goals in ten fucking years! That's a worse record than some defenders!

This includes stints at clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and Newscastle Jets, which aren't all top tier clubs.

He played in the SPL before and didn't get anywhere with Rangers, which is a club that sees it's fair share of goal scoring opportunities. That doesn't give me confidence that he's the man to put them away for a club that is playing its football in the lower end of the table.

If he wasn't coming cheap he'd be nowhere near Fir Park.

I meant cheap in relation to what Motherwell pays it's players. You can pretty much bet that he'll be one of, if not the highest paid player at the club until June.

Does anyone know who we have coming towards the end of their contracts with the club? We must have a few players that we would like to offer better deals to in order to tie them up for another few years?

That money could have been used to do that, and would have even given us a bit left over to bring in someone else from the lower leagues of Scotland that could have come in as a squad player until the end of the season.

McCall isn't signing Jeffers so he can warm his arse on the bench ever week, so he'll more than likely be given the kind of opportunity in the first team that Casagolda can only dream of.

IF Jeffers signs, then he will have my full support unless it doesn't work out. At least I am willing to give him a chance, guys on here have him labelled as being a dud, waste of a wage and a shirt prior to anything formally being done and dusted.

Oh I know he hasn't exactly fulfilled his potential in a long while, but guess what you never know Motherwell might be the ideal gig for him to do just that.

Lets see what happens and if it does actually go though.

McCall being cautious about announcing the signing...

What I will say is that Francis Jeffers is not, at the point of writing this, a Motherwell player. After being stung by the whole Mike Grella situation, we are obviously cautious about announcing anything about any player before we have the appropriate clearance and paperwork.

I have my reservations about Jeffers (all well covered in this post),hopefully we he wont be a top earner at the 'Arc and it is a pay as u play deal.

But as the majority say, will judge him on his displays in claret n amber ! If he signs :P

To me this is the whole crux of the matter, when you sign a player you have to judge him on what he's done in the past, you look at his previous form and judge where and how his particular talent fits into your line up and how best you can use him. Obviously we arent signing him as a goalscorer because, going by his record, that is NOT what he does.