2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

That's certainly true, but the problem we also have is that being good enough to beat another Scottish team under these conditions currently isn't nearly good enough to beat even mediocre teams in European competitions. So we also need to be finding ways to develop our players, tactics and systems to a level much higher than is currently required for domestic success, and that, I fear, is the tricky bit.

I disagree. A huge part of the problem is because there is too much focus on things that happen outwith our own league. Who cares about whether we can compete with teams in another league because quite frankly, they are in another league, so what does it matter in relation to our game?

Do you make the 3rd division better by trying to equate the teams there to the SPL? Is the 3rd division shite because when they come up against teams from a better league they generally don't win? Of course not! The football may be of a lower standard...but that doesn't make the games, or the league, shite by default. If it did, then everyone in the world would only get enjoyment from one league...the best one, and everything else would die.

For a league to be good, the teams in it don't have to be able to compete at a higher level... they just have to be able to compete with each other. For a league to be good, the teams in it don't have to be able to match teams from a different competition...they just have to be able to match each other.

To the first bit i've highlighted, i'd say...so what? The key to having a decent league has nothing to do with how good the teams within it are on their own, it's to do with how good they are in relation to each other.

To the second bit i've highlighted, id say...why? If we're trying to improve Scottish football, why set our focus as something outwith it?

• Like 3

Mediocre teams in Europe? Is European football the prize for relegation in these countries? We've held our own against teams at our level, anything 50/50 has been hard luck story, but Dortmund,Nancy and Bucharest deserved to beat us.Odense was hard lines.

Yes, we have... I was talking more about how this year's European representatives fared, since that's really what's sparked all the current media hoohah.

I also somewhat agree with Al B that to have a decent domestic league, you just need all the teams to be of a similar standard. That's true, and we've already seen plenty of entertaining games this year between fairly evenly-matched teams. And if you're only interested in domestic competition, that's fine... but I'm not. I want to see us qualifying for major international tournaments again, and getting one or two clubs past Christmas in Europe on a regular basis. And on this year's European showing, we're not going to do that anytime soon even if we somehow manage to improve the quality of the SPL such that two or three teams are properly competing with the OF every year, which would be a pretty significant achievement in itself.

Yes, we have... I was talking more about how this year's European representatives fared, since that's really what's sparked all the current media hoohah.

I also somewhat agree with Al B that to have a decent domestic league, you just need all the teams to be of a similar standard. That's true, and we've already seen plenty of entertaining games this year between fairly evenly-matched teams. And if you're only interested in domestic competition, that's fine... but I'm not. I want to see us qualifying for major international tournaments again, and getting one or two clubs past Christmas in Europe on a regular basis. And on this year's European showing, we're not going to do that anytime soon even if we somehow manage to improve the quality of the SPL such that two or three teams are properly competing with the OF every year, which would be a pretty significant achievement in itself.

Couldn't give 2 fucks about Europe if I'm perfectly honest. Good excuse for a jolly but nothing more. Coming up against better cheats than we face in the SPL just means we're less likely to get anywhere so whilst it's good exposure for the club and we all get a wee bitty excited for a few weeks if we get a run like the last 2 campaigns, in the grand scheme of things it means fuck all.

Couldn't give 2 fucks about Europe if I'm perfectly honest. Good excuse for a jolly but nothing more. Coming up against better cheats than we face in the SPL just means we're less likely to get anywhere so whilst it's good exposure for the club and we all get a wee bitty excited for a few weeks if we get a run like the last 2 campaigns, in the grand scheme of things it means fuck all.

Pretty much the same. It's nice to play some different teams as well, especially when we play the same folk up to 5/6 times a season, depending.

Bring on Bakayoko!

And so the Steelmen Online transfer deadline day lolfest begins.

Stage 1: Someone hears rumour about player (unsubstantiated, of course)

Stage 2: Someone else "confirms" the rumour as he heard off his mate

Stage 3: Random name plucked from wikipedia

Stage 4: Gullable forumers lap up rumour and begin discussing where said player will play and who he will replace

Stage 5: A few hours pass, no more news. Forumers mentioned in Stage 4 start getting restless, demanding to know whats going on and accusing the club of all sorts

Stage 6: Dazzer says how good Chris Humphrey is

Stage 7: Deadline passes and random player doesn't sign. Forumers raging at club for not signing this player

Stage 8: Turns out this player was not even considered/has retired/fighting in Libya. Normal forumers with more than half a brain lol at their stupidity

Repeat twice a year (usually around the end of August and January)

• Like 2