Trouble At The Aberdeen Game

Brazilian

still Wellfans getting ejected at Pittodrie

Police and stewards already have too much powers which work against law abiding citizens who happen to be attending a sporting event

Edit:

HAUD THE BUS!! :angry:

I NEVER STARTED A THREAD CALLED CROWD TROUBLE AT ABERDEEN THEN POSTED ABOUT WELLFANS

GET IT SORTED DAVID AND MAKE IT CLEAR :angry:

still Wellfans getting ejected at Pittodrie

Police and stewards already have too much powers which work against law abiding citizens who happen to be attending a sporting event

Any idea what's going on at Pittodrie today? The MFCTV commentary have kind of brushed it off as nothing?

just some text and twitter feeds that from behind the 'incident' nothing appeared to be amiss until

heavy handed stewards then police began wading in, then situation escalated, which led to further fans being removed

then later again that another fan was removed

various names mentioned from board so they'll tell their story but seems to be the normal service from their public servants and deputys, treating visitors like criminals

"stewards sparked incident which led to several wellfans being lifted/thrown out"

Joke today from the stewards.

No one was causing any harm, having a good laugh, good singing and then the police are trying to tell 70 well fans to sit down, when in the Aberdeen ends there must be 10 times that standing. Kicked off from there with some heavy handed police and stewards. There was no problem until they interfered, absolute joke.

Football fans not criminals.

Joke today from the stewards.

No one was causing any harm, having a good laugh, good singing and then the police are trying to tell 70 well fans to sit down, when in the Aberdeen ends there must be 10 times that standing. Kicked off from there with some heavy handed police and stewards. There was no problem until they interfered, absolute joke.

Football fans not criminals.

Standing is against the rules. They broke the rules. Whether or not you agree with these rules, "someone else was doing it" is no defence.

Again, behave and you will not be thrown out.

So what one of the braintrust was just on the radio? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Standing is against the rules. They broke the rules. Whether or not you agree with these rules, "someone else was doing it" is no defence.

Shut the fuck up you tit. It's not a crime to support your team, brilliant from the Well fans today. Were on the receiving end of some horrific treatment from the Stewards and Police.

• Like 3

Shut the fuck up you tit. It's not a crime to support your team, brilliant from the Well fans today. Were on the receiving end of some horrific treatment from the Stewards and Police.

Personal abuse aside (from which I take it you were our well spoken caller), it is not a crime to support your team. It is against the rules to stand in a seated stadium. How much do you feel fans should get away with under the "supporting your team" line?

Personal abuse aside (from which I take it you were our well spoken caller), it is not a crime to support your team. It is against the rules to stand in a seated stadium. How much do you feel fans should get away with under the "supporting your team" line?

:lol:

No I wasn't on the phone, I was at the game and saw what happened.

Disgraceful treatment today, even the Aberdeen fans are saying we done nothing wrong.

One rule for the OF, one for the rest of us.

So why fans of other teams not get thrown out when they stand up (For example, Rangers or Celtic) when Motherwell fans and St Johnstone fans do get thrown out of Pittodrie?!

Surely the law of the land should treat everyone the same. Or is that wishful thinking?!

So why fans of other teams not get thrown out when they stand up (For example, Rangers or Celtic) when Motherwell fans and St Johnstone fans do get thrown out of Pittodrie?!

Surely the law of the land should treat everyone the same. Or is that wishful thinking?!

That's obviously a problem with each grounds stewards, but the point still stands, had they been sitting in their seats, there would not have been a problem.

I wasn't at the game today so can't really comment on what happened but I can make some general points.

It's against the law to stand in a seated area and the clubs are responsible for making sure the law is upheld. Therefore one can hardly complain if asked to sit down or removed for consistently disobeying instructions.

However, the stewards and police also have a responsibility to treat people with respect, to behave and react in a way appropriate to the situation and perhaps most important off all, not to artificially create a flash point or dangerous situation themselves by enforcing a 'safety' measure.

Unfortunately people become entrenched in a 'cause'. Officials to make sure fans do not stand, no matter what, thereby often causing scenes which are more dangerous than they would otherwise be. And fans who sometimes defiantly go out of their way to disobey the law, wind up stewards and behave rowdily towards those enforcing the law.

We need some common sense from all sides on this.

However, if a small group of fans stand in the back rows of the stand, thereby not blocking the view of seated supporters, and who are merely supporting the team, then I don't see how ejecting fans can really be justified from a safety perspective.

I'm not quite sure whether discussion of the events of today takes away from the overall purpose of the thread by focusing one on incident or whether it illustrates it perfectly.

From our perspective at the back of the stand there appeared to be up to 100 or so singing and dancing 'Well fans whom several stewards moved in on. In my mind it was fairly clear that it was their intervention that sparked things kicking off as they did.

Ofourse the law states that it is illegal to stand in a football ground, I can't contest that, but what I think warrants further discussion is the difference in how that offence is viewed and dealt with by different stewards and police in different parts of the country. Or as we've seen before and indeed today in different parts of the ground at the very same time.

Little more than 100 yards away from where were trying to manhandle folk barely out of their teens a group of a similar number Dons fans were offering their team support in much the same fashion as their 'Well counterparts at the back of the top tier of the RIchard Donald Stand. Signficiantly when a dozen or so Motherwell fans were being ejected not once at any point in the game were these fans even made aware their conduct was similarly inappropriate.

The whole pointlessness of it all today was illustrated in that once things had eventually settled down; after the stewards through their actions had caused about 20 minutes of mayhem, resulting in about three times people getting to their feet as those who they sought to originally target; they retreated up the back and let everyone carry on as they had done at the start of the game.

Surely they have to ask was that all really worth it?

I think Andy P is pretty much spot on. I was about five or six rows behind the back of the carry on. To begin with it was a group of about 30 fans who were standing, bouncing and singing. There were a few folk in the three or four rows behind them who moved to another part of the stand so they could sit and watch the game and we had a situation where all the 'Well fans were content, they could all see and they could all enjoy the game in the manner they wanted.

Now I get that you are not allowed to stand in an all seater stadium but to me, there was no danger to anyone nor any prospect of danger to anyone. The stewards and police then waded in and ejected a couple of folk and a larger group of about 40-50 started going for them and the atmosphere became thoroughly poisonous. There just seemed to be a running battle between stewards and fans while a much larger group than before (including myself) could see precious little of the game which at a cost of £23 is irritating. If I wanted to see drunk, grown me fighting with each other I'd have gone to a pub crawl in Govan. Furthermore it was more dangerous as the passageways were blocked and more and more people became frustrated as they could not see and it really was a bit silly.

I suppose what is annoying is that the stewards technically had a point with the first group, who as I said, were at worst a group of dafties but certainly not causing anyone any bother. But the way the folk from the other side of the passage reacted was disgraceful. There were Motherwell fans abusing stewards and policemen in a way that nobody deserves when they are at the work and did us as a club no favours at all.

Yeah it would have been the sensible thing to do and sit down when asked but what I saw was a total over reaction by one Steward Number 088 to being asked why Motherwell fans had to sit down when Aberdeen fans were also standing. He manhandled a young lad half his size and I think thats what kicked it all off. I think if it had been my son I would have lamped him and talking to him after everything had calmed down he reinforced my view that he was "enjoying wielding his power". The cop standing next to us having watched what had just happened simply shook his head which to me says it all.

I do think some of the 'Well fans maybe over reacted a bit themselves although it could be argued they were being severely provoked. At least there were no arrests and the guys were simply ejected (at least thats what the police told me) which was about the only good thing to come out of the whole sitaution.

It does leave me with a question though about just what Stewards are and are not allowed to do as if the Steward I was talking about had done what he did to the young lad outside the ground then I think we would have been lifted for assault.

There were Motherwell fans abusing stewards and policemen in a way that nobody deserves when they are at the work and did us as a club no favours at all.

Was it not the SS(the real SS not the saturday service) who would use the excuse "just doin our job" when they carried out ethnic cleansing on a scale never seen before or since? Just cos your doing a job doesn't mean its right.

and martin, no as far as I am aware it is not illegal to stand in an all seater stadium, the rules state teams must have an all seater stadium but I don't think the rules say anybody has to sit down in it.

Can't possibly be illegal to stand in a stadium otherwise we'd all be crawling to our seats. Situation really is an utter mockery and the very things supposed to provide safety and comfort to supporters - seats and stewards -are the very things that are endangering and causing harm. See the 21st century? See progress? See "health and safety"? Shove it. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

It is a tricky one for the police and stewards as if there is an accident or a pile up then they are accountable.

But all they need to do is monitor the situation and if it's getting out of hand then just have a word with the fans and say you can remain standing but please calm down a bit. Simple.

When celtic did their huge huddle thing last season every person in that stadium had their back to the pitch while jumping up and down. It was hailed as the 8th wonder of the world at the time. A few fans stand up in Pittodrie and it's time to get the tear gas out.

All this needs from all parties is sime common sense and everything would be solved in an instant.

• Like 1

Was it not the SS(the real SS not the saturday service) who would use the excuse "just doin our job" when they carried out ethnic cleansing on a scale never seen before or since? Just cos your doing a job doesn't mean its right.

I never said they handled it well. However no matter how they handled they didn't deserve a bunch of drunken guys calling them arseholes, wankers and any other expletive you care to mention in such an aggressive manner. For that there is no excuse.

Rattles being thrown out the pram all over as usual. The group were told to sit down which they all did rather grudgingly, then someone decided to be a smart arse and started the chant "stand up for the Motherwell" which they all promptly did. All I can say is that more than one village was short of an idiot yesterday - too much drink + away day + herd mentality make people do stupid things.

People have already stated that they had to move from their seats to get a view of the game due to all this carry on. You would not get away with standing for the whole match in the centre of the East Stand at Fir Park, so why the hell do people think they have a god given right to do the same at an away ground ?

Strange that I managed to stand for the whole game, with not one police or steward coming near me. But then again, I was in the back row and not blocking anyone's view (as were many other supporters who stood throughout the game). Similarly the Aberdeen fans in the Beech end who stood throughout the game were all at the back of the stand not interrupting anyones view. Incidentally, 1/2 of the arrests and ejections that happened were all directed by the "spotter" that the police had at the back of the crowd all the way through the first half.

• Like 1

Ofourse the law states that it is illegal to stand in a football ground, I can't contest that, but what I think warrants further discussion is the difference in how that offence is viewed and dealt with by different stewards and police in different parts of the country. Or as we've seen before and indeed today in different parts of the ground at the very same time.

I wasn't at the game and so can't comment in detail. But your point sums it up perfectly for me Andy. Its an awkward issue for clubs but we have to have consistent application of the regulations and there is no sign of that whatsover. If as seems true, Aberdeen fans were allowed to stand unmolested then this raises serious questions.

I'm not certain if standing at the football is actually "against the law " The Taylor Report as far as I know was never drafted into law , however it is listed in the Stadia regulations set out by the SPL/SFA .

No one is contesting that fact/ The situation yesterday was that while the laddies were standing and its against the Rules blah blah blah there was no danger to other supporters, until that is the Storm troopers moved in and started manhandling wee boys. It was an extremely heavy handed reaction which invariably led to scuffles and the Police having to be involved.

After that the situation was not allowed to calm down the Stewards and the Police harassed and intimidated the supporters until inevitably it kicked off again.

This was easily preventable, don't you think it's odd that things like this only kick off at certain grounds (Aberdeen Dundee Utd and St Mirren spring to mind) and each time the catalyst has been over officious wee men/women who get a hi viz jacket and think they are gods.

The Old Filth are allowed to do what they want at away grounds so the "rules" are not being enforced evenly, when I challenged one of the supervisors (the guy with the pony tail) about why this was and why the home fans were standing he pulled out the old "that's someone else's section " cliché and that "the club" had instructed them to ensure our fans sat down.

When even the opposing fans are calling into the radio phone in to say their stewards were out of order that tells you something.