2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Nothing against Carswell, but I feel we need a replacement for Jennings more than we need another centre half. We have Hately, Hutch, Saunders, Page, Hammell and Devlin in defence.

Carswell appeared a little out of his depth last season in the SPL, no more so that against the Old firm.

I remember Phil o Donnell's first game - he was out his depth too. Look how tba turned out.

Young guys at Motherwell used to DEVELOP into 1st team players.

Now they need to be the beamed down finished article from EA Sports.

• Like 3

Ahh the good old Hokey Cokey thread where we all become experts in picking a team and building a squad on a budget.

The team have only reported back to pre-season today and as always the same with Motherwell there are forever going to be players in and out on trial...

McFadden on a short term deal - gives us a massive boost in the champions league and the start of the season, bothered if he doesnt stay past then? No not really.

The only thing we can do is actually wait until its official we've signed/sold anyone!! :wallbash::download:

I remember Phil o Donnell's first game - he was out his depth too. Look how tba turned out.

Young guys at Motherwell used to DEVELOP into 1st team players.

Now they need to be the beamed down finished article from EA Sports.

Even more experienced pros like Chris Porter looked out of their depth in their first couple of appearances.

If the fans aren't prepared to let our youngsters develop, it's going to be a long season for them, because we can expect to be relying on more of them this time around.

Thing is Weeyin after the success we've had in the last 5 years or so we will be expected to do well again so the young players won't be given a chance to develop as one bad performance usually results in the boo boys coming out and getting on their backs

Thing is Weeyin after the success we've had in the last 5 years or so we will be expected to do well again so the young players won't be given a chance to develop as one bad performance usually results in the boo boys coming out and getting on their backs

Aye, unfortunately that might well be the case. It's all very well agreeing to kick out newco for reduced finances, but the cost will likely be a level of inconsistency in the short terms.

Look guys - I understand where we are with our resources or lack of resources. I hope Carswell proves to be a valuable player for Motherwell, but it gives me the fear if he is in midfield come our Euro games. It would have been hard enough with a seasoned pro like Jennings!!! That was the point I was trying to make....

I think we should sell the goalie, Hateley, Saunders, Hutchison, Murphy & Humphrey and raise £250k which will be banked for a rainy day, whilst the club will ask the fans to dig deep just so we can exist! I think we should play the u17s next season in the top division just so we can be certain we dont steal the bigger clubs prize money.

I think we should sell the goalie, Hateley, Saunders, Hutchison, Murphy & Humphrey and raise £250k which will be banked for a rainy day, whilst the club will ask the fans to dig deep just so we can exist! I think we should play the u17s next season in the top division just so we can be certain we dont steal the bigger clubs prize money.

Jesus. I nearly bit.

I actually really like what I see with young Carswell, he has only had a few games and people are writing him off, granted it might be a gamble in Europe but I personally think he is a really good player and is worth a run in the team, as many people have said there are lots of examples of more seasoned players taking a wee bit of time to settle down. Also look at Hutchy !!, he was a bit of car crash when he first came in, a season later and he is potentially one of our best assets.

Pretty disappointing about Jennings, but we shouldn't be too surprised I suppose. Finding a replacement for him should be a priority rather than another defender surely?

You would have to think so. Hopefully somebody photocopied Gannon's notebook before he left.

Hey havnt posted in a while but this pre season made me post. Have loved the time under Mcall but slightly put off by a comment he said recently.

"Last season, we were fighting with League Two and some non-league clubs in terms of wages," he said. "Now, I can't even get near anyone's wages down there"

So why don't we look slightly further a field there is no embarresment for a country the size of scotland and a club the size of Motherwell not competing with England! But I am sure there are French Portugese Romanian Polish Brazilians etc out there that will sign for far less wages especially selling 1 or 2 years and then you get english football. Look at Ojamma (i know he played in England) but an Estonian not pulling up trees in Finland IIR. Prob pushed us on to get CL footy. Instead of spending bug wages (for us) on a 30 year old from england why not buy 2-3 players from abroad for the same wages. I know this will be more difficult but we should try to be different not just look for english failures.

I agree we should be looking for the youth teamers to come through! But we should be looking to supplement them with talent from overseas. Has Mcall says we are so far behind england in terms of money. This is only going to get worse with the new tv deal! So we should start comparing like with like look at Denmark Belgium Croatia Norway and Sweden Countries of a similiar size. What players are there teams full of (bar there own nationalities ofcourse!) Africans,South Americans, Portugese etc. I see very few english players in these divisions. This would introduce our youngsters to different cultures and styles of play. As well as increase the small chance of them actually going overseas and not going to the english wasteland!

Its not about pandering to forigners its about getting in talent that makes our boys better! I dont want to see 15 brazilians in the Well side next year. 2-3 like what happened at the beginning of the EPL that teaches our players to play in a more technical manner. Look at the Euros England looked like a team of cave men compared to most sides for due possession football and movement. From watching well youngsters they could compete (Not with pirlo or Xavi) with that style but Scots youngsters are smaller and slower (on average) than the english players. Anything that moves them to countries like holland, italy and spain were there talents will be nurturted than spat out in the english leagues. Murphy Reynolds and faddy before are built for european football. 3-4 Forgieners instead of the 3-4 english players would make well not only a better side but also improve our youngsters and i would argue be cheaper!

Its not about pandering to forigners its about getting in talent that makes our boys better! I dont want to see 15 brazilians in the Well side next year. 2-3 like what happened at the beginning of the EPL that teaches our players to play in a more technical manner. Look at the Euros England looked like a team of cave men compared to most sides for due possession football and movement. From watching well youngsters they could compete (Not with pirlo or Xavi) with that style but Scots youngsters are smaller and slower (on average) than the english players. Anything that moves them to countries like holland, italy and spain were there talents will be nurturted than spat out in the english leagues. Murphy Reynolds and faddy before are built for european football. 3-4 Forgieners instead of the 3-4 english players would make well not only a better side but also improve our youngsters and i would argue be cheaper!

I have read some amount of shite on various forums but really this takes the biscuit.

You state foreign players would improve our youngsters technically then slaughter England for the way they play. Unless I watch a different product England is awash with foreign players,

and they are not as I recall valued at 2bob or 2nd rate in world footballing terms; seems their skills don't really rub off!

The players you mentioned are with all due respect what they are, average players. There is nothing wrong with their technique but they have a lack of that certain something that makes them stand out ( I refer to McFadden in EPL terms not SPL) and they would be no better or worse in a European team.

Where do you pluck the fact Scottish youngsters are smaller and slower on average?.

M/well's U /19' s have more than held their own in the last couple of seasons when playing teams from the EPL and the occasional team from the Continent they have played.

Did you see Celtc's U/19's results V Man City in their games in their Champions League styled tournament.

The problem in Scotland is lack of opportunity to play 1st team football because of the implications of relegation from a Premier League that doesn't feature enough teams,

lack of facilities throughout the country, 2nd rate foreigners being signed and a lack of investment to bring professional, amateur, boys club and schools football into the 21st century.

We maybe keep the personnel insults out of it what I said was personnel opinion based on what I have seen and read and is def not fact or gospel and nor was it presented as such! The epl is awash with foreigners now of u read what I wrote I said back in the early days when cantona Zola et al improved English players diet training etc!

I only suggest 2-3 foriegn players instead of English players we currently buy! If you watch well play Celtic next season purely by height and weight were behind! Then watch the epl players bigger and stronger again! This is just a very small but immediate part of the jigsaw and the chances to both lifestyle and training need to come in longer term! But shouldn't we model our football on smaller countries who are doing well I.e Denmark or Belgium? And import knowledge and talent to supplement our own?

With our players going south, faddy lacks pace and in a league like England pace is key, even over technique I.e Walcott! The English league also destroys players due to its physicality look at Torres! Who is to say a McFadden who went to hereveen (sp?) would not have improved and been less injury prone and ended up at Ajax or a middle of the road serie a team?