2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

I love Hammell, he's been an excellent servant to Motherwell over the years and a consistent performer. However with no disrespect to him I wouldn't break the bank to keep him. Now this isn't just about Hammy, I wouldn't want Motherwell to do so for any player but especially one in his 30's with no possible sell on value. I'm sure Motherwell will offer him the best contract possible(and a testimonial, an extra cash incentive). If he thinks he can get more money elsewhere then best of luck to him, no ill feelings from me. However at his age, as a man with a young settled family, in today's financial climate a long term contract and security is always going to be an appealing option.

he is 30. not that old at all

he's got another 4 seasons in him at least which is a long time in football.

Guys like Hammell, Lasley and Craigan are worth their weight in gold to Motherwell. They know exactly what it means to play for us and should be treated accordingly. I heard that they were instrumental in keeping everyones heads up after Broon shafted us last year. Would be a travesty if they were allowed to leave over something like this. I don't imagine they are being unreasonable.

100%

you only have to look at what has went on at hibs and aberdeen recently to see what happens to clubs that don't have the right kind of characters in the dressing room and very little commitment to the club. craggs will probably bow out next week and las might only have one more season in him. hammell earns his money on the park as he is incredibly consistent but i don't think you can put a value on the leadership our senior players have provided over the last couple of years.

• Like 5

Other clubs, with the exception of Celtic haven't had as successful a season as us so should we really be using them as a yardstick? Qualifying for the Champions League surely means that we should be ahead of the rest?

Hearts got to the Scottish Cup final, which if you believe Stuart McCall, is worth a lot more than European qualification and they are letting experienced first team players go like you wouldn't believe.

There is also going to be something of a mass exodus at Dundee Utd in the summer.

Those two teams are probably our closest challengers at the moment and they are significantly downsizing.

What I cant understand is that last season saw us reach top 6, 1 cup semi + 1 cup final, sell Reynolds and downsize the squad for the 5th time in 7 years, and now this season we have posted a £500k profit (the 3rd profit in a row) are finishing 3rd,champions league qualifiers and our average attendance has risen by 500 per game and STILL our squad will shrink? What the fuck is going on at our club? Will this beancounter Weir not be happy till we have only 11 senior players and the rest of the squad is made up from the u-17 + u-19 teams?

Oh and the new tv deal for next year is 35% more(it will happen,Rangers will not be allowed to drop from the SPL) than the previous deal so our tv income will increase by 35% next year (assuming the money splits stay the same) and be at that level for 5 years so how in gods name can we not afford to offer guys like Hammell,Las,Jenno a fair deal? and what the fuck are we going to replace them with? weve seen how shite we are when Las+ Jennings are missing, we now face the very real possibility both will be missing next year,replaced by u-19s or some nobody from the highland league,

We have an incredible opportunity to build a fantastic foundation for the future of our club with just a little belief and foresight. Yes the champ league qualifiers wont make a lifechanging amount of cash but you can guarantee a full house @ Fir Park paying at least £20 a head (£200k+ profit) plus the game on a tv format of some kind so its not chicken feed we will be playing for, if we win we will make a lot more getting a "glamour tie" and if we lose we drop into the Europa League qualifiers where we will have a great opportunity to reach the group stage and the £4m or so that comes with that. Not only this, but Rangers will be banned from Europe for the 2 seasons after next as well. Add this to Hearts downsizing considerably and Utd downsizing both due to their debt and we have a great chance for regular european football and maybe even regular champions league qualification (do scotland have 2 champ lge places for those 2 seasons?)

In what should be a joyous occasion we should be celebrating but instead were treated to the Usual McCall "rangers will pump us" pish, and news the players will be rewarded for 2 fantastic seasons with paycuts if they want to stay,what a way to burst a bubble eh

• Like 6

Not really a good comparison when you consider that both those teams are downsizing in order to reduce debt.

I think the point is that long term they are trying to become profitable or at least not produce much debt season on season. In that regard we are in the same boat.

Also Dundee Utd, like ourselves, have a very small squad and are reducing it further. If other teams are cutting playing squads to perhaps 18 first team pros and jettisoning all high earners then it's inevitable we will have to do the same in the long run.

I think over the next couple of seasons we are going to see squads really cut to the bone with no teams excepted.

Clarkson is still getting treatment at Bristol to recover from his injury. Won't be easy picking up a good deal in his situation.

I see in The Herald today that Butcher is keen on getting Clarky to Inverness.

Not really a good comparison when you consider that both those teams are downsizing in order to reduce debt.

We've been told we will make a loss next year so us offering lower contracts isn't much of a surprise. Plus, I would think the lower price would be the start point for negotiations, for the club. Doesn't mean that is what the player will get

Playing down our finances in public is also good business sense as it means players/agents will have lower expectations as to how much money they can worm out of the club. If we come out and say that we have more money now than we had budgeted on the agents would be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

I heard that big Crags is hanging up the boots at the end of the season. Seems like the kinda guy that would play as long as he can but maybe his recent injury is more of a problem than was first thought.

His recent performances on TV & radio suggest he's greasing the wheels to join the "in crowd" we have in the Scottish media.

He's been a great servant to the club, and I love him as a player, but I have a feeling my respect for him is going to take a hit every time he appears on the telly or radio over the coming years.

If it came down to offering him another year or tying up Clancy, I'd take Clancy every time.

If it came down to offering him another year or tying up Clancy Hammell/Lasley, I'd take Clancy Hammell/Lasley every time.

Not that I wouldn't want us to keep Clancy, I think we should if possible. But if Craigan goes, the first priority has to be making sure we keep hold of Lasley and Hammell. These guys are the heart of our team and while we shouldn't break the bank, we certainly shouldn't be giving them cause to consider other options.

Craigan, one of our best servants in recent years but a bit like myself in that his best years are now behind him. Clancy came in and wasn't much fancied at the time but has won over most of the support , yes he makes mistakes but hey, who doesn't. Get Clancy signed up .

Not that I wouldn't want us to keep Clancy, I think we should if possible. But if Craigan goes, the first priority has to be making sure we keep hold of Lasley and Hammell. These guys are the heart of our team and while we shouldn't break the bank, we certainly shouldn't be giving them cause to consider other options.

Got to agree with tony there, if craigans away then we really want to be keeping lasley& hamill.

From everything you read&hear about our team, we have a great team spirit, no doubt held together by these 3senior players

Totally agree.

Trying to keep both Hammell & Lasley is a no-brainer really. I was saying that if it came down to a choice between Craigan for another season or Clancy, it would be Clancy all day long as far as I'm concerned.