Agm Feb 2014

Welldaft Mk1

so if i wanted a share for nothing other than nostalgic reasons -

1- can i do this?

2 - what is it likely to cost me?

I contacted the club maybe 10 years ago and asked if I could buy a few shares. Think it cost me £100, although I can't remember how many shares this was for.

Kmcalpin is the man to speak to about this.

A good discussion took place about the transfer fees or lack of from our squad and potential sales in the future. McCall tended to think there won't be much in the way of transfer monies received, Dempster was much less commital on that one! The dilema was discussed that they face each season about potentially selling a player for a "knock-down" fee or keeping them, and gambling on the rewards of a potential place or two higher, or in his first season, getting to a Cup Final.

Says Scotland is seen as a soft market place and later Dempster and McMahon went on to state how there is a frustation at the lack of monies accrued centrally from the SPFL such as not having a sponsor and not a true valuation being received in deals.

I've posted elsewhere about this. In my opinion we are doing something badly wrong, be it either poor timing etc of contract renewals or just giving in too easy regarding transfer negotiations.

My example of this would be Dundee United getting £2m+ for David Goodwillie and us receiving approx £100k-£200k for Jamie Murphy. In this example its just not true that the SPL or whatever its called now are a complete soft touch. We have been sitting 2nd / 3rd in league for a few years now and not picked up a transfer fee worth mentioning in this time. Last year nearly a whole team leaving and us not picking up anything. Needs seriously looked at.

I think the key thing is that whatever valuation the club have in mind for a player, you can't actually make someone bid for them, or bid at the desired level. Nor can you force them to move when under contract.

Goodwillie's fee was actually mentioned and whilst no figure was quoted the club clearly had a figure in mind that was far far in excess of what was eventually received for Murphy. But the point was made with Murph - who you'll remember he knocked back a move the previous January and also with Nicky Law and Hutch that the bids received for those players were of an amount that it was a real quandry for the club as to whether to sell or keep them in hope that they could help the club finish further up the table.

I contacted the club maybe 10 years ago and asked if I could buy a few shares. Think it cost me £100, although I can't remember how many shares this was for.

Kmcalpin is the man to speak to about this.

Shares can be bought either directly from the club orfrom an existing shareholder willing to sell a few. The vast majority ofthe club's shareholders have bought shares simply for the sentimental value andto say they've got a stake in the club. A modest holding also allows themto attend AGMs, view the accounts and vote. Most will have holdings of about 5/10/15/20 shares I'd think.

I know it may be obvious will say it anyway they're not an investment - don't buy them ifyou're looking to invest.

On the advice of the club, I think the going price is about £10 per share and that's the price for which I sold a few to friends last year. Anyone can apply butyou would probably only want a few. The Directors have to approve anyshare transaction but I doubt if there would be a problem.

If anyone isinterested in finding out more – PM me.

I inherited 2 shares in Albion Rovers from my grandfather. He had got them from his father who had bought them for £1 each in 1920 which I assume was a fair bit of money back then. They're now worth 2 and 1/2 pence each so it's safe to say it wasn't a great investment.

But I don't think anyone buys shares in a football club to make money and I'm quite fond of having my shares in the wee rovers.