Hamilton A V Motherwell 24/09/14

Yabba's Turd

It was pretty much everything you've come to expect from Motherwell v Hamilton games, an utter shit-fest only with the added bonus of extra-time and a boot in the baws penalty shoot out defeat to put the seal on it.

I thought they were the better team in the first half without really threatening us. I don't know if it was the game plan or a general unease on their surface but we struggled to play much football with lots of aimless punts and safety first clearances.

Second half was a bit better, even more so when they went down to the 10 men. At last we looked comfortable and were passing the ball for a time at least. Chances did come with Sutton and Ojamaa scorning decent ones and their keeper making an excellent save from Vigurs. He wasn't having his best game in claret and amber by any manner of means but I thought we gradually lost the stranglehold we had on the game when Vigurs was replaced.

But things certainly changed in extra-time. We were unfortunate with the double woodwork chance but the minute O'Brien was red-carded it looked much like Accies wanted to win it whereas we seemed happy not to lose it.

And then you have the penalties. All really well taken with the exception of the obvious one and the cup disappointment continues.

I would love to say we'll come out all guns blazing, take the game by the scruff of the neck on Saturday but I'm not quite sure we have that reaction in us at the moment. I can only really see more of the same come the weekend although hopefully we'll be the ones that edge it next time.

Gutted to go out, but not the worst 15 quid I've spent.

We missed 4 or 5 fantastic chances but the positive is in the fact we were making those chances in the first place. Definitely an improved performance from the start of the season, we've got players who can score so once they find their shooting boots I reckon we'll hit a bit of form.

Also, some of our support are absolute cretins.

• Like 3

Where you there? Where do you think it went wrong? Just for the sake of discussion.

1. 30 minutes against 10 men. 2. Couldnt find an effin pass. 3. Countless amount of times the ball was given away, for example Ojamaa running clear on 119 minutes but Lasley gives the ball away and we nearly paid for it. 4. A player who cant keep himself onside. 5. Erwin and McHugh on the bench when pens come round.

Thats where it went wrong.

Plus Accies are shite, in-form or not.

Another cup defeat, another failure to score, another poor performance, another bad tactical decision by Stuart McCall.

Same old, same old.

Hardly kicked a ball until about the 65 - 70th minute. We then had a decent spell that wasn't too bad but McCall killed the game off by taking off Ainsworth and putting on Ramsden who then proceeded to miss the penalty and if anything Accies finished the stronger.

The surface at Douglas Park is terrible but still no excuse for abysmal passing, failure to carve out more than a couple of chances over 120 minutes and worst of all constantly being caught sleeping at set pieces...which contributed to O'Brien being sent off, a fair red card I though although there wasn't a lot of contact he definitely stopped the Accies player going clean through.

Big question mark has to be why didn't we start playing until the second half of the second half?

Got to do a lot better on Saturday.

Gutted to go out, but not the worst 15 quid I've spent.

We missed 4 or 5 fantastic chances but the positive is in the fact we were making those chances in the first place. Definitely an improved performance from the start of the season, we've got players who can score so once they find their shooting boots I reckon we'll hit a bit of form.

Also, some of our support are absolute cretins.

True but Accies didnt cover themselves in glory either. They were much much worse. A boy next to me got hit with a coin which there was many, all sorts of missiles getting thrown over towards us.

1. 30 minutes against 10 men. 2. Couldnt find an effin pass. 3. Countless amount of times the ball was given away, for example Ojamaa running clear on 119 minutes but Lasley gives the ball away and we nearly paid for it. 4. A player who cant keep himself onside. 5. Erwin and McHugh on the bench when pens come round.

Thats where it went wrong.

Plus Accies are shite, in-form or not.

Wisnae askin you cool.gif

there were some unbelievable decisions from our bench tonight.

josh law playing for 120 minutes and contributing exactly nothing. taking off ainsworth for ramsden because it was 10 vs 10. not bringing on erwin to try and grab a goal or even just to take a penalty. someone also needs to have a word with wee dan and tell him to stop bouncing up and down at pens, he's faced 9 since he's been here and not looked like saving one.

positives were good performances from kerr and leitch plus big sutty and mcmanus stepping up to give us a good start to the penalties. the less said about the captain hiding on the halfway line the better, surely if he's not going to take one he has to come off?

• Like 2

josh law playing for 120 minutes and contributing exactly nothing. taking off ainsworth for ramsden because it was 10 vs 10. not bringing on erwin to try and grab a goal or even just to take a penalty. someone also needs to have a word with wee dan and tell him to stop bouncing up and down at pens, he's faced 9 since he's been here and not looked like saving one.

positives were good performances from kerr and leitch plus big sutty and mcmanus stepping up to give us a good start to the penalties. the less said about the captain hiding on the halfway line the better, surely if he's not going to take one he has to come off?

Have to agree with all of that.

Taking off Ainsworth was madness. We were on top at that point in the match. Obviously we had to shuffle things round with O'Brien getting sent off but taking off Ainsworth was not the right move. We had the momentum and with that substitution handed it right back to Accies.

After that it was like we just wanted to shut the game down and had absolutely nothing going forward.

If Josh Law starts on Saturday....McCall must watch the game with special Josh Law Goggles.

The game was pish for the most part, we should have won it with the chances we had at 11 v 10 but when we had the same numbers it was fairly even, if anything they probably edged it.

The crowd in the corner was more interesting, the Accies fans seemed to take offence at not being allowed down the stairs in that corner resulting a few getting chucked out and the fat guy who resisted probably feeling like a right tit as he spends the night in a cell.Our fans weren't too bad, a few things thrown into the home stand and a couple of flares midway through the first half.

the less said about the captain hiding on the halfway line the better, surely if he's not going to take one he has to come off?

Not his finest night by a long shot - when Ramsden missed it was Sutton and McManus who were straight over to console him. I think it was him giving the ball away that led to O'Brien being caught one-on-one for the red card too.

Another cup fuck-up, more soundbytes about how they're all gutted and will learn from it and want to put it right. Might as well draw Airdrie in the SC and complete the Lanarkshire hat-trick.

ETA: Josh Law :doh:

A couple of observations from tonight and indeed from the season so far.

I accept penalties are a bit of a lottery but why did the captain not take one. Maybe he volunteered and was overlooked for a centre half but I doubt it.

What makes McCall think Josh Law is an SPL level footballer. There is no point in having a go at Law himself, a player who has played over 250 games for the mighty Alfreton Town. It is quite frankly incredible that the manager chose to sign such a player and he appears to be a first pick in the team.

What is the point of bringing back Ojamma to play 10 minutes here and there?

Why does the manager change the midfield every fucking game? Does he think it is good for a player like Paul Lawson's morale when he is brought in to the team and plays reasonably well only to not get off the bench in the subsequent two games. Ffs get him in in place of Lasley.

As above does the manager rate Francis Anglo or not? Personally I'm not a great fan but again there is no point to putting him in the team one week then taking him out then putting him back in and so on.

Why was Faddy not kept on, it is clear from interviews that MCFadden was not asking for ridiculous wages so why not have him in the squad. Faddy has been very kind to the manager in interviews by saying it was a joint decision but that is the mark of the man, he doesn't want to criticise the club.

In my opinion, McCall has run his course. Erratic team selections, a lack of flair in the team and an annoying habit of just appearing like one of the teams mates, rather than the manager. Plus wear a suit ffm rather than being a full kit wanker!

• Like 2

The game was pish for the most part, we should have won it with the chances we had at 11 v 10 but when we had the same numbers it was fairly even, if anything they probably edged it.

The crowd in the corner was more interesting, the Accies fans seemed to take offence at not being allowed down the stairs in that corner resulting a few getting chucked out and the fat guy who resisted probably feeling like a right tit as he spends the night in a cell.Our fans weren't too bad, a few things thrown into the home stand and a couple of flares midway through the first half.

"Our fans weren't too bad"

Will thet be paying the fine thats prob winging its way to fir park?

How many times do they have to be told....ohh and the Danny Dyer type dancing with the dozen or so Accies casuals at the station was hillarious.

I've read the last couple of pages, and to be fair, my points have been raised by others, but i'll say them again.

How in the name of fuck did Josh Law stay on that park for 120 minutes? He done nothing all game. Not the "actually done a few things, but me mostly done nothing, nothing", he genuinely offered fuck all. He's not even 1/10th of the player his brother is.

Last minute of the game, it's going to penalties, and we've got 2 strikers on the bench. Why not bring one of them on to take a penalty?

Speaking of the penalties, has anyone found our captain yet? He seemed to go into hiding after the coin toss. McManus & Leitch went up to take a penalty, why was it then left to a substitute defender to hit one when it got to sudden death?

McCall must be cursed in cup competitions.