Motherwell V Hamilton Accies 27/09/14

Yabba's Turd

leitch made some mistakes the other night but also took some responsibility and played some decent forward passes so i'd keep him in. the rest of the midfield were different shades of shite.

i'd pull vigurs and ainsworth who you can't count on to turn up and bring in erwin and ojaama and go for it. even if we end up losing the game let the fans see some attacking football. unless you went to dingwall and/or celtic park you've seen a maximum of two goals in two months, fans are already voting with their feet so we need to see a decent performance to keep people coming along.

mccall's stock as a manager has fell a long way, he doesn't have much to lose at the moment by sending out an attacking team. he's being shown up by less experienced managers with smaller budgets at the moment so getting a club down south is totally out the question unless he pulls something incredible out the bag.

• Like 2

I'd agree with that. I can see it in flashes but he hasnt done enough yet to nail down a first team place for me.

The thing with Leitch is he isn't going to take the game by the scruff of the neck. He had some nice touches during our good spell against Accies but before and after he was nowhere.

He doesn't seem to have that self confidence or character to drag himself, never mind the rest of the team, up when things aren't going well.

I could see him doing well in a good team but right now we aren't a good team and I can't see him doing a lot to change that.

mccall's stock as a manager has fell a long way, he doesn't have much to lose at the moment by sending out an attacking team. he's being shown up by less experienced managers with smaller budgets at the moment so getting a club down south is totally out the question unless he pulls something incredible out the bag.

I think that remains as yet unproven and rather depends on who you are talking to.

You for example give the impression that McCall's stock has never ever been very high and that he's only ever been there to keep the seat warm until you assume your rightful place.

There are others who in contrast have stated they believe him to be one of the best Motherwell managers they've seen in their lifetime and he remains sufficiently highly thought of be a part of the Scotland coaching staff.

There's also the media view of him which generally holds him in very high regard.

Any agent worth his salt should be able to put together a package of his achievements at Fir Park that would be impressive to many clubs in England if you chose to return there.

Even if you pointed to the Cup exits you could still come up with a stack of (depending upon your view) excuses/mitigating circumstances for most of them (2 x lottery of penalties, last minute defeats, disallowed goals, controversial goals for opposition etc) that could viewed as easily as sheer bad luck as bad management.

But time will tell of course when we see how this season pans out what his reputation is at its conclusion.

• Like 2

i just mean that he is currently being out performed by tommy wright, john hughes and jackie mcnamara and more notably by the less experienced alex neill, alan archibald and paul hartley who all have smaller budgets. even robbie neilson is doing arguably a better job this season.

he obviously gambled when he knocked back sheffield united that he could get a better job either in the championship or at ibrox. that isn't going to happen now without a remarkable turnaround.

being scotland 3rd coach is hardly a great distinction. it groups him with mccoist, butcher, kenny black and andy watson.

Unfair that it may seem to some given our League achievements under Stuart McCall, he is now being judged based on our performances this year.

Can anyone really defend our lack of preparation for Europe, the lack of fitness (players running on empty FFS), the stubbornness in sticking with tactics that clearly do not work with the present squad, the loyalty to players who are either out of form or out of their depth, the benching of players who are actually contributing, the playing of players out of position, the timing/nature of substitutions.

We were very fortunate to beat St Mirren and Ross County and it could be argued that the draw against Celtic is the only match where the result reflected the performance of the teams on the pitch. A win against Accies on Saturday is critical if we are to have any realistic chance of making the top six and avoid the horrendous prospect of a relegation play-off...or worse.

McCall has been good for Motherwell and Motherwell has been good for McCall. But given our circumstances on and off the pitch he must address his refusal to accept the need for a fresh approach if we are to get through this difficult period.

Paul Hartley and Jackie McNamara have much bigger budgets than Stuart McCall given they pay more on wages and have bigger squads, Dundee signed 12 players on good wages and are backed by a group of businessman from Texas, we have fuck all of anything. John hughes and the others will have smaller budgets but probably had a more professional approach in terms of fitness and organisation of games pre season which is why they are currently doing better than us.

• Like 1

We have been shite coz we finally have had a summer where we didn't sign the right types of players but this was gonna come at some point tbh. We no longer have the likes of Randolph, Higdon, Nicky Law, Chris Humphrey etc and that's why the standard has substantially dropped, was due to happen some point and that time is now sadly.

I totally forgot Randolph, Higdon, Law and Humphrey all helped us to 2nd last year...

i just mean that he is currently being out performed by tommy wright, john hughes and jackie mcnamara and more notably by the less experienced alex neill, alan archibald and paul hartley who all have smaller budgets. even robbie neilson is doing arguably a better job this season.

Do you not think any prospective employer will look beyond this seasons results (it is only September after all) and see that in the previous 3 seasons Stuart Mccall 'out performed' Derek Mcinnes, Jackie Mcnamara (twice), Tommy Wright, Alan Archibald, John Hughes, Allan Johnson, Kenny Shiels (twice), Terry Butcher (twice), Gary Locke, Craig Brown, Derek Adams, Danny Lennon (three times), Pat Fenlon (twice), John Brown, Peter Houston, Jim Jeffries and Paulo Sergio?

Paul Hartley and Jackie McNamara have much bigger budgets than Stuart McCall given they pay more on wages and have bigger squads, Dundee signed 12 players on good wages and are backed by a group of businessman from Texas, we have fuck all of anything. John hughes and the others will have smaller budgets but probably had a more professional approach in terms of fitness and organisation of games pre season which is why they are currently doing better than us.

i don't think there is much difference between us and dundee united in terms of budget. there is certainly no one in their squad who we couldn't have afforded to sign when they joined united and the squad sizes are similar.

have you even looked at the dundee squad?

Do you not think any prospective employer will look beyond this seasons results (it is only September after all) and see that in the previous 3 seasons Stuart Mccall 'out performed' Derek Mcinnes, Jackie Mcnamara (twice), Tommy Wright, Alan Archibald, John Hughes, Allan Johnson, Kenny Shiels (twice), Terry Butcher (twice), Gary Locke, Craig Brown, Derek Adams, Danny Lennon (three times), Pat Fenlon (twice), John Brown, Peter Houston, Jim Jeffries and Paulo Sergio?

he didn't outperform mcinnes or wright last season and the rest of it is good going but isn't going to get you a job in the championship or in the door at the ibrox.

his awful cup record, poor record against the old firm, terrible european record and our downturn since the players he inherited left are all black marks against him.

i don't think there is much difference between us and dundee united in terms of budget. there is certainly no one in their squad who we couldn't have afforded to sign when they joined united and the squad sizes are similar.

We can all afford the transfer fees of free agents/Bosmans. Dundee Utd however are paying much more in wages than we can stump up.

We can all afford the transfer fees of free agents/Bosmans. Dundee Utd however are paying much more in wages than we can stump up.

i don't see it. which of their players do you think are making more than our top players?

if there is a difference it's that they are paying their top wages to young attacking players and we are paying them to gunnar, mcmanus, hammell, lasley and sutton.

If you wanted to put a positive spin on things we are now undefeated in 90 minutes in three matches.

I wasn't at the Ross County or Celtic games (the only games I've missed this season, maybe I should stay away altogether) but I wasn't exactly encouraged by what I saw on Wednesday.

I also think there could be fatigue issues today.

Would be nice to see Hammell back in today and Law out. Not sure if either will happen though.

I wasn't at the Ross County or Celtic games (the only games I've missed this season, maybe I should stay away altogether) but I wasn't exactly encouraged by what I saw on Wednesday.

though.

I'm surprised at that. We weren't great by any means but we created 4 or 5 very clear cut chances which is probably equal to the cumulative total for the opening 7 games.

It's not pretty football, but if we keep creating chances like that and Sutty and Ainsworth get their shooting boots back on we'll have no trouble scoring.

I'm surprised at that. We weren't great by any means but we created 4 or 5 very clear cut chances which is probably equal to the cumulative total for the opening 7 games.

It's not pretty football, but if we keep creating chances like that and Sutty and Ainsworth get their shooting boots back on we'll have no trouble scoring.

I thought we were terribly poor to be honest for the first hour or so of the match. We came into it a bit and had a decent spell and had a few chances but that coincided with Accies being down to 10 men.

When the referee evened it up by sending off O'Brien I thought Accies were the better side again.

I think overall we were outperformed and didn't really deserve to win the match.

O'Brien has made us a bit more solid but I think midfield to front we still don't look like a team.