2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I suspect we're holding out for superior quality. As Weeyin alludes to, there should be a number of reserve keepers in England looking for a move by the end of August.

Twardzik is the best keeper we've had over the past 2 seasons. Happy for him to be no.1 for at least another month.

Similarly, the closer it gets to the deadline the more palatable an offer is likely to be to an out of contract player. It may well be the case that someone who would have been outwith our budget in June might be more amenable to what we're able to offer in August. it's not ideal but if it means holding off to get a better level of goalkeeper in then so be it.

I'd be much more concerned if the management hadn't mentioned the GK position however both the manager and Flow have said it's a position we're looking to address so I've no reason to doubt that it will be sorted. Given the state of our GK recruitment since Randolph left I'd much rather we took our time with it since as has been pointed out it's a crucial position and we have little margin for error.

A quick glance at a site like transfermarkt gives you an idea of the number of keepers currently out of contract.

• Like 1

I suspect we're holding out for superior quality. As Weeyin alludes to, there should be a number of reserve keepers in England looking for a move by the end of August.

Twardzik is the best keeper we've had over the past 2 seasons. Happy for him to be no.1 for at least another month.

I said something similar before the game on Friday. Happy enough to go into August with Twardzik as our only senior goalkeeper but would be concerned going into September in the same situation. Haven't changed my opinion. Would rather wait for the right goalkeeper.

The fact that the club seem to feel we need two players in the positions that fans feel we need them suggests that where we are short is obvious to everyone and it will be addressed...

The rumour was - his previous injury, to his shoulder, is worse than thought.

He wasn't playing yesterday coz he was injured again, his knee.

Still, he'll not be here, unless it's a cup game and we'll give him a nice loud welcome.

Clangers reckons hes played his last game for Aberdeen... gulp!

I would hope that we'll be casting our net pretty wide in search of a new goalkeeper so figure we shouldn't worry too much when the likes of Bell and Langfield fall out of favour at their clubs.

Having said that both Langfield and Bell, it could be argued, would be improvements on recent keepers...

There's something wrong with punting him a few days after his testimonial. Just doesn't seem right although I appreciate it may be for the best if he's not in their plans.

...or, they kept him on, as a loyal servant, until he reached his testimonial before letting him move on and continue his career elsewhere. He was surplus to requirements last season anyway.

Goalkeeping being what it is, with limited opportunities for 2nd choices, there has to be a boat load of quality like Ruddy and Randolph out there looking for a run in a first team somewhere. I was hoping our new GK coach would already have some ideas of where guys like that can be found.

Goalkeeper seem more happy than most to sit on the bench and take the cash though. I doubt we can match Charlton and Everton wages these days, even if those players are down the pecking order and not on first team wages.

That's the dilemma for a keeper, of course. Any decent team needs 2 quality keepers to cover for injuries, loss of form etc. Inevitably, one of them will end up on the bench week after week. I'm sure, you are right, that for some (if not many) they are happy to take the money - but I imagine that a lot of that has to do with the mentality of keepers too i.e. for years you prepare to be in that position, because it's the nature of the beast.

However, I still don't doubt there is sufficient quality available out there that we can tap into.

I'm sure I heard Alan Burrows talking to someone in the stand on Friday night about him saying that we can't compete with Ross County for him something about £2.5k a week he will be getting up in Dingwall

I'm sure I heard Alan Burrows talking to someone in the stand on Friday night about him saying that we can't compete with Ross County for him something about £2.5k a week he will be getting up in Dingwall

If I'm correct he's still a Celtic player and so any haggling will be over how much of a contribution we're able and prepared to pay Celtic. He's a player I'd like to see in my starting line up for the new season but not any cost. Discussions seem to have dragged on for some time now and if we can't land him then we need to move onto other targets pronto - probably already doing so.