Motherwell V Ross County 02/05/15

Yabba's Turd

Nothing against Lee Erwin, but I think if John Sutton had started that game we would have won. The balls that Grant and Johnson put in from set plays in the first half were tailor made for him and I suspect he would have got on the end of one of them.

Thought we played well enough yesterday against a team who are playing well and knew that a draw did them. They were defensively organised and tough to break down and I was impressed we managed to do it and score such a well worked goal (Well played Josh Law!).

Sadly in the second half Johnson's influence waned. We upped it a bit when Ainsworth came on but it seemed like there was no massive urgency in the last twenty minutes when the ball went out of play to get it back and things like that. You may slag Alan Burrows off but he at least realised we needed the ball back in quickly, something only Law, Lasley, Hammell and Sutton seemed to on the pitch.

I have no idea what a yellow card offence is with that referee. How Quinn got booked and their no 44 didn't for his cynical kick on Johnson is just bizarre.

I'd just like to pick up on your first point re Erwin, I thought the boy fought for everything and I'm certain if you asked the Ross County defenders who they would rather play against I'm sure it would be Sutton. I don't remember him winning anything in the air when he came on and if its passed to him on the deck he was always on his heels, never anticipating a defender coming in.

No I'm sorry his Fir Park time is up I'm just disappointed IB didn't bring on Moore to inject pace when he took off big Lee.

I honestly thought the full team tried yesterday. I wouldn't question their effort compared to Accies where it looked like a handful of them didn't care - I thought they did today.

We just lacked quality, made some poor decisions and, again, didn't take our chances. If it wasn't for the O'Brien mistake (who I thought had a good game other than that) we would have probably won. Not much between the teams at all.

• Like 1

The referee really was awful and was totally inconsistent with decisions and yellow cards. Ross County could easily have picked up 2 yellow cards in the first 10 - 15 minutes. They quickly latched on to his lenience and took full advantage. No sympathy for Paul Quinn as he committed a professional foul on a player who had skinned him although he did take one for the team. I've rarely seen a Scots team guilty of so many dives but it worked and thats all that matters to them.

100%.

I'd just like to pick up on your first point re Erwin, I thought the boy fought for everything and I'm certain if you asked the Ross County defenders who they would rather play against I'm sure it would be Sutton. I don't remember him winning anything in the air when he came on and if its passed to him on the deck he was always on his heels, never anticipating a defender coming in.

No I'm sorry his Fir Park time is up I'm just disappointed IB didn't bring on Moore to inject pace when he took off big Lee.

I don't disagree with anything you say about Erwin but I don't think his strength is nodding in wickedly whipped in set plays whereas Sutton can. Sutton didn't have much quality to play with when he was on, always a willing competitor but sadly he seems to have dropped a yard which means in open play his usefulness is not what it once was. And he was never quick to begin with. I wasn't calling we'd made a wrong choice overall, just that the way the game panned out if Sutton had started, I think we'd have won.

Sad to say Sutton offered nothing when he came on in fact he slowed the forward line and team down . Just a shame Erwin hasn't got Suttons eye for goal , now there would be a proper player

I like Sutton and Erwin and feel they both have qualities. Erwin is a bit more like Higdon in that he prefers to get the walk into chest and control it and move it on, doesn't strike me being the greatest at winning headers. Who should be in the team right now is another matter, Sutton has looked better coming off the bench and certainly more conifdent he'll put away and be in position to get chances. I'd certainly be tempted to drop Erwin for Sutton in coming games but being honest I no more confident that it'll do us any better than Erwin/McDonald combination.

Felt that Barraclough's formation looked ok yesterday, much prefer Erwin and McDonald up front and bringing Sutton on later in the game. Just wish someone would look to attack the ball in the 8 yard box, time after time some excellent crosses were put into the box and no one seemed interested to really try to get onto it, apart from McDonalds goal. Midfield looked better with Grant in there, and O'Brien in defence showed a lot more dig that Laing, fuck up apart I thought that he had a good game. Wish I could say the same about McManus.

Erwin and McDonald in particular did a lot of good things yesterday. They just continually follow the good bits by fucking it up, taking one too many touches and losing the ball.

What the fuck is Motherwell's problem with throwins?

Sutton won more headers in 5 minutes than Erwin did the whole game

That a bit if an exageration. Erwin won about 5 headers in a period before taken taken off. He should win a hell of a lot more. Similar to Higdon, like someone else mentioned on that front.

How people on here can say that Skippy has been poor since he came here is beyond me . .the guy is different class to anything else we have , by miles . .you really wonder what people see when watching a match . .try looking at his movement , his coming short for balls to link up play , his running into channels , his talking other players through the game, and most of all his getting in and about defenders and unsettling all day long . .oh and by the way , he scores some goals as well . He is the best forward I have seen at FP in the 45 years I have been going , maybe Bobby Graham was on a par . .end of ! !

• Like 2

You can't hide the quality he's got, dropping back, making space and his excellent reading of the game when he doesn't have the ball. But on Saturday, he kept falling over, making poor passes either badly weighted that were intercepted or to the wrong man. From your best player (which he undoubtedly is) you can't have seriously below par performances in crunch matches and sadly that is two on the belt we've had from him. Granted he isn't alone (Pearson was worse) but we all know he is better than he was on Saturday.

• Like 1

Aye right , you at the same game as me ,the one at 3pm fir park ????

Funny that he was voted Mom at the game and in most of the papers I've seen . .by the way I didn't say he was brilliant on Sat , but he was still our best player and has been , except the Accies game last week where everyone was dreadful

Don't get this about how poor everyone was at accies game,hit the woodwork 3 times and created another good3 or 4 chances,probably more than we created on Saturday but rc are a stuffy side.

Surely we will get a bit of luck on Friday,but even if we beat Killie,still think it will be play offs

We are where we deserve to be this year

Don't get this about how poor everyone was at accies game,hit the woodwork 3 times and created another good3 or 4 chances,probably more than we created on Saturday but rc are a stuffy side.

Surely we will get a bit of luck on Friday,but even if we beat Killie,still think it will be play offs

We are where we deserve to be this year

Said similar in another thread about the Accies game. I think the huge crowd, expectation after beating them before and then the tired last 20mins took a lot from what was actually a fairly decent 70 mins where we created enough chances to win it against a very up for it Accies team.

I know I certainly was down about the full thing leaving after the game and for the full week before I watched the highlights.

Phoned Colin Duncan @ the Daily Record this morning (Tuesday) after his disgraceful article slagging Keith Lasley for committing a load of fouls and getting away without a booking. I pointed out, that in my opinion, he should be not be naming players in print, especially Keith Lasley who is, in my opinion, a marked man with referees anyway. Duncan's excuse was that it was not Lasley he was having a go at but the referee! I asked then why he mentioned Lasley and not Allan? It was all tongue in check he said!!!!!!!!

Message to future referees: Colin Duncan of the Daily record was only kidding, oor Keith is not a dirty player it is just an average journalist having a laugh.....................

Edited by thirdwell