Our Problems On The Field

Graeme Bremner

okay to start off with i don't want to be that guy who hates negativity but is negative himself.

But the one thing that worries me about our team right now is there is no urgency in the play and a lot of the players look lost without the ball i always feel that our players should be looking to pressure the opponents.

I feel that the final balls certainly Lacking but we would probably do better than one goal a game if we pressure the opponents and force errors of the opposition .

I feel the players are better than results are suggesting and thats whats annoying me. Theres a decent mid table team there its just no ones drilling them to play forward basic football i honestly think basic simple football is the way we have to go now.

and to install a sense of responsibility into our players too often are we allowing the opponents all the time on the ball and no ones making a real effort to get it back.

I think a basic 4 4 2 would be our best bet with ainsworth and thomas on the wings and moult and fletcher up front

Saturday was the first home game for a while and I was really up for it. I left absolutely deflated and frustrated. We had much of the ball but did not seem to be able to deliver a penetrating forward pass. Everything was either square or backwards. So many times Chalmers and Grimshaw got the ball and then turned back and passed the ball ball to central defenders. This lost all forward momentum. Now whether that was good defending from ICT or lack of confidence or the new keep the ball philosophy (or a combination of all three) i am not sure but it is not working.Only when we took of one of the wingers did we start to look like a team ready to go forward.

Disappointing but not terminal but manager needs to work on a new shape.

We need to sacrifice (not literally) a winger methinks...

I would agree.

We were over reliant on the 2 of them on Saturday, and the week before at Killie.

The tactic was get it wide which resulted in a lot of sideways and back passes to try and get round the opposition midfield.

I am glad we are not just hoofing it up the park but we do need to find something that is a more penetrating.

4-3-3 might be the way with the right players.

Our off the ball movement needs work. Player communication doesn't seem to be great, loosing the ball because we pass to where the player was a second or two ago. Johnson is off the boil if you ask me. His defending is shocking and looks completely un interrsted, he just doesn't look around about himself. We need a play maker, a Nicky Law type that can drag the opposition around even when off the ball and has a bit of vision about him.

I think a few guys need to be moved on in january, Joe Chalmers, Marvin Johnson and Josh Law just aren't SPL level players in my opinion. We have youth players who are no worse! Namely Luke Watt, Chris Cadden, Ben Hall.

The most frustrating thing for me about saturday apart from the dreadful referee was that the team can't pass five yards. Its embarrassing. Inverness gave us an absolute lesson at times. At the moment apart from the fitness/work rate levels, very little has changed in the last two years since our fall of form under mccall.

I believe Mcgee can turn this around and get us playing fluent/attacking football but its gonna take time and I think a few more players heading out the exit door than I first thought. We need more options than a batch of workmanlike, hard tackling midfielders who have no idea how to move the ball forward.

Edited by Wellfan84

I think a few guys need to be moved on in january, Joe Chalmers, Marvin Johnson and Josh Law just aren't SPL level players in my opinion. We have youth players who are no worse! Namely Luke Watt, Chris Cadden, Ben Hall.

The most frustrating thing for me about saturday apart from the dreadful referee was that the team can't pass five yards. Its embarrassing. Inverness gave us an absolute lesson at times. At the moment apart from the fitness/work rate levels, very little has changed in the last two years since our fall of form under mccall.

I believe Mcgee can turn this around and get us playing fluent/attacking football but its gonna take time and I think a few more players heading out the exit door than I first thought. We need more options than a batch of workmanlike, hard tackling midfielders who have no idea how to move the ball forward.

Disagree re Marvin Johnson , not at his best , but when he is , there is a player there.i suppose it's up to MM to get the best out if him.....if he can

For starters, we need to be able to score more than one goal. One goal will rarely get you anything in the SPFL and if we could increase that to two, or even three, we will win more than we lose.

Completely agree.

Is there any other team in the Premiership (or in any other league?) saddled with this embarrassing stat? Pretty sure there isn't.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone in the club is unaware of that particular problem.

I said at the start of the season, it was unrealistic to expect some instant or massive improvement with basically the same core of players. It's going to take some hard work and a little more time before we are even a middling SPFL team and finding our scoring is a key part of that puzzle. It's an added stress on the defence who know that conceding one goal at the moment means it's unlikely we'll pick up all 3 points.

Completely agree.

Is there any other team in the Premiership (or in any other league?) saddled with this embarrassing stat? Pretty sure there isn't.

I don't know about that but I do know underboyle has probably mentioned it more times than we've scored so far this season!!

• Like 1

I would agree.

We were over reliant on the 2 of them on Saturday, and the week before at Killie.

The tactic was get it wide which resulted in a lot of sideways and back passes to try and get round the opposition midfield.

I am glad we are not just hoofing it up the park but we do need to find something that is a more penetrating.

4-3-3 might be the way with the right players.

I had noticed in the recent Scotland games they were constantly trying to get the ball out wide, but actually our success came through the middle.

The reason I mention it being Mcghee's involvement in both.

It could be effective, but mainly due to a poor final ball hasn't been for Scotland or Motherwell.

We need to sacrifice (not literally) a winger methinks...

I've no problem with a literal sacrifice if it made us good again.

Templeofdoom.jpg

Anything to please the vengeful deity we've had over the past 18 months. Shukra Stones, the Ark of the Covenant, whatever it takes.

for me the main thing is that some of our players arent very good.

I cant believe some folk think josh law is worth a starting place in our team.

Joe chalmers is woeful.

If you look back at most of the goals we have conceded this season, its down the wings that our problems arise, mostly law's side to be honest.

I reckon between, laing, kennedy and mick we can put out 2 spl level central defenders but our fullbacks are shite, even when hammy is back even he is clearly not fit and a tad overweight.

we have good players who shld be able to hold their own against most spl teams but a few tweeks are needed.

in an IDEAL world id do this:-

RIPLEY - stay

SAMSON - stay

WEE DAN - let go

Reid - let go

law - let go

watt - stay

kennedy - stay

mcmanus - stay

laing - stay

chalmers - let go

hammell - not sure if im honest

grimshaw - stay

lasley - not sure

pearson - stay

ainsworth - stay

marvin - get your finger oot but stay

Taylor - leave immediately!!!!!!

Thomas - stay

mcdonald - he has been shite but stay

moult - stay

robinson - let go

Fletcher - stay

Clarkson - let go

With the wages saved see what MM can do and get 2 or 3 in.

As i said i reckon we have a few good players who can play and win at thus level.

• Like 1

You seem to be in the minority regarding law. He's been the first choice RB under three managers now. The problem with many of our support is that they want our players to improve, but they also refuse to change their opinion of a player if when do. Others just like to stick with the same scapegoat for their Motherwell career. The suggested replacement I'm guessing is Watt, who has hardly been a colossus in the u20s.

When do you propose to let go the ones you want to let go? At the end of the season when their contracts expire?

Realistically in January we can send back the loan players and maybe move some guys onto other clubs, but someone needs to want them first, and the player has to agree to take a wage cut, which would be stupid. I can see Reid and possibly clarkson going out on loan for the rest of the year, but we're stuck with the others.

• Like 2

for me the main thing is that some of our players arent very good.

I cant believe some folk think josh law is worth a starting place in our team.

Joe chalmers is woeful.

If you look back at most of the goals we have conceded this season, its down the wings that our problems arise, mostly law's side to be honest.

I reckon between, laing, kennedy and mick we can put out 2 spl level central defenders but our fullbacks are shite, even when hammy is back even he is clearly not fit and a tad overweight.

we have good players who shld be able to hold their own against most spl teams but a few tweeks are needed.

in an IDEAL world id do this:-

RIPLEY - stay

SAMSON - stay

WEE DAN - let go

Reid - let go

law - let go

watt - stay

kennedy - stay

mcmanus - stay

laing - stay

chalmers - let go

hammell - not sure if im honest

grimshaw - stay

lasley - not sure

pearson - stay

ainsworth - stay

marvin - get your finger oot but stay

Taylor - leave immediately!!!!!!

Thomas - stay

mcdonald - he has been shite but stay

moult - stay

robinson - let go

Fletcher - stay

Clarkson - let go

With the wages saved see what MM can do and get 2 or 3 in.

As i said i reckon we have a few good players who can play and win at thus level.

So, you are saying that some have been shite and should go and some others have also been shite but they should stay?