2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

He could start by issuing three thousand free season tickets to under 18's and leave that deal on for five years.

Good long term investment.

Easy enough for the club to tweak the details.

I reckon if the club looked at how much revenue they take from kids after VAT it's not that much - and what a marketing tool.

Free tickets completely piss off the people who still have to pay. They also cut your income as some of those getting in for nothing would have paid to get in.so, to begin with, you have reduced your revenue and annoyed your core support. This might be a worthwhile hit if there was evidence that, in the long run, these sort of giveaways resulted in an increased core support, but we have tried free tickets before and it has had no real long term benefit.

Free tickets completely piss off the people who still have to pay. They also cut your income as some of those getting in for nothing would have paid to get in.so, to begin with, you have reduced your revenue and annoyed your core support. This might be a worthwhile hit if there was evidence that, in the long run, these sort of giveaways resulted in an increased core support, but we have tried free tickets before and it has had no real long term benefit.

I don't think any/many supporters would object to under-18's getting in free.

It wasn't a total disaster last time, some youngsters did get in the habit of attending - I note a member here saying his first ever match was a school freebie. ( apologies, can't remember who it was ).

What I'm proposing is to make it free on a five year trial - with the season tickets in the youngsters names. We will get spin off from match day and merchandise sales - but the real goal is to convert them into contributing adults.

The stadium lies half empty or more for the vast majority of games - it's a foolish waste of capacity.

I don't disagree with your point. However we haven't ever tried it as a long term plan. Usually just the odd game here or there.

not a direct comparison , but the club have been giving away free season tickets to U16 for seven years now, not sure what long term is classed as ..

and following from the wellevate deal, for many of that generation who benefited , 16-18 year olds now pay a concession price for a season ticket

not a direct comparison , but the club have been giving away free season tickets to U16 for seven years now, not sure what long term is classed as ..

and following from the wellevate deal, for many of that generation who benefited , 16-18 year olds now pay a concession price for a season ticket

I was under the impression they were paying £70 - £80 quid? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

If we have 500 season ticket holders of that age that would represent £35 - £40,000. I'm not sure if VAT is paid on season tickets? I imagine it would be. So that would represent an income of around £28 - £32,000. Not a lot of money. The club will know the stats.

It's well known in marketing that making things free brings greater profit. You are surrounded by the word free everywhere. Like most here I can remember paying a pound or two to get into games when I was a kid. I can also remember going to matches and my pals were dying to come but didn't have any money.

The club should be hammering a "make it free," campaign and let it run for five years so they can test the growth in attendance. Five years gives enough time for many juveniles to move into adult pricing. Give it long enough to succeed.

That's true.

Another thing for me at the time was the price jump. I was lucky enough I went to uni for 4 years so benefitted from the student prices however we are expecting a 15 year old to pay kids price of £70 then next few years the jump is £240 then as an 18 year old £420. Now for most people aged 16-21 football is important but it's not going to be number one when your out at pubs and clubs.

Why don't we adopt what many golf clubs now do and increase the prices gradually with the idea being as you progress in your career and have more cash you are inclined to continue paying your ticket.

For a very very rough example;

15 and under - £70 (17% of adult)

16-18 - £105 (25% of adult)

18-20 - £140 (33% of adult)

21-23 - £210 (50% of adult)

24-25 - £315 (75% of adult)

26 + - full price

Obviously those figures don't show our core support ages and whether we would lose income from that. But as it stands there must be a steep drop in those who pay much reduced rates (kids + students) to those who go on to pay full amount.

Would a drip fed approach not be more likely to keep people returning?

Excellent.

I have never understood why businesses think kids aged 15/16/17 suddenly have money.

In the good old days they would have started work by then ,now they are student consession until they have been to uni to the age of 23. Then an unemployed connsesion cause they cant get a real job.

• Like 1

Im not sure, however, do we really need a fan engagement manager?

Well the club obviously feel we do. We've been steadily losing fans for years, it's not sustainable the rate we're going.

If this appointment helps with initiatives to get some people back through the door, then I would say it's absolutely worthwhile, yes.

Well the club obviously feel we do. We've been steadily losing fans for years, it's not sustainable the rate we're going.

If this appointment helps with initiatives to get some people back through the door, then I would say it's absolutely worthwhile, yes.

Agree - at this rate of travel we'll have a core support of under 3,000 by 2020.

I want the club to be bold - make it free for the kids, and not a one off - for five years minimum.

We need to get new fans through the door - urgent.

They could start by giving ten free season tickets each to our boys, girls, and youth team players so that they can bring loads of pals with them to first team games.

Im not sure, however, do we really need a fan engagement manager?

We are always hearing folk on here complaining that they either feel or are ignored by the club & society, so if this guy can get that perception changed and have fans feeling more involved then I think it's money well spent and I wish him well in his new job.

• Like 2

I’m sure the guy is good at what he does, however, I wonder if the money would have been better spent elsewhere?

Maybe fan engagement shrouds what he's really here to do in business speak babble. If he gets 150 adults to sign up to season tickets at 300 quid a pop, he earns the club 45k and no doubt probably pays for the lions share of his salary.

We need to get new fans through the door - urgent.

If he gets 150 adults to sign up to season tickets at 300 quid a pop, he earns the club 45k and no doubt probably pays for the lions share of his salary.

Fair points. If getting more fans through the door is one of his main remits, there will be no hiding place for the boy. I wish him well.

• Like 1