2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Not if he's better than the other two centre-halves he's competing against.

No need to worry though. We'll be in the money after Marvin Johnson is sold for £1.6m.

If you have no money for a centre midfielder but have spent a wage on a central defender that is a slight upgrade on what you have but it leaves you with two first team central defenders taking a wage for sitting on the bench, it seems like bad planning to me...

We're going to have several first team players sitting on the bench (or even in the stands) throughout the season. It's called having a squad. We wouldn't get too far if we only had 11 players to choose from.

At this point, we're only guessing on what McGhee's plans are between now and the end of the August. We have two central midfielders in Lasley and McHugh, and of course McDonald can play there, if needed. Who knows what his plans for Allan Campbell are? Maybe he feels he's good enough already to step up. Chris Cadden is also more than capable to move in to the middle of the park.

I'm sure McGhee has a couple of names in the squad he'd like out the door, but if he's unable to, then it's not the end of the world for me.

• Like 1

Echoing what Desp said, it's the middle of July. The league season doesn't start until August 6th and the transfer window doesn't shut until the end of August. It'd be fair to say there's a decent chance of additional movement between now and then.

As it stands, with Law having moved on, there's every chance that one of those centre backs (either Kennedy or Laing) is being viewed as a cover for right back as well. Out of curiosity, was Ferguson playing left back for Airdrie when he was on loan there as well?

We're going to have several first team players sitting on the bench (or even in the stands) throughout the season. It's called having a squad. We wouldn't get too far if we only had 11 players to choose from.

At this point, we're only guessing on what McGhee's plans are between now and the end of the August. We have two central midfielders in Lasley and McHugh, and of course McDonald can play there, if needed. Who knows what his plans for Allan Campbell are? Maybe he feels he's good enough already to step up. Chris Cadden is also more than capable to move in to the middle of the park.

I'm sure McGhee has a couple of names in the squad he'd like out the door, but if he's unable to, then it's not the end of the world for me.

I'm well aware it's a squad game but as it stands we have four recognised centre halfs, four recognised strikers and two recognised central midfielders with a couple of untested or 'might be able to play there' options in each position.

You cannot tell me that squad looks well balanced...

He's probably got wise to the fact that if he says he's got hopes of bringing someone in and doesn't manage to, then the online-mile-oots will still be casting it up in another 9 years time with absolutely side splitting "german contacts" style patter.

• Like 4

To be fair, it was McGhee that made a much bigger deal than necessary with his German Contact patter. He was still in motor mouth mode at that time bigging himself up for the Celtic and/or Scotland and/or Hearts job.

Thankfully, he's put his ego in check a bit more this time around.

Not that I didn't enjoy his stories, it's just annoying when they give reporters a chance to write more about the OF than they did Motherwell. His press conferences are usually entertaining.

You can't believe a word he says about new signings or team selections, but that is par for the course for most managers. No need to tip his hand when we are already at a financial disadvantege, but I'd be amazed if we don't see at least one new face before the window closes (or a free agent after it closes). Quite likely a loan if it's not a free agent.

Surprised that people still seem to take McGhee as literally as they do. He's already on record as acknowledging we're light in the centre of the park and he'd want to bring another central midfielder in.

His press conference simply reiterated what he said the other week insomuch as to bring in another player there will need to be a bit of juggling with the squad. We're clearly not in a position where we can overspend our budget and you'd think there's a certain amount of that budget taken up by legacy contracts that he inherited. We're in mid-July of a Summer window that runs until the start of September, I'd doubt if there was any club who were completely done with their squad building at this point.

McGhee is no doubt playing the media and possibly, the Board.

As soon as Pearson was out the door, McGhee said an attacking midfielder was a priority. He then pointed out that the player(s) he's interested in are waiting to find out if the are in first team plans of existing clubs. Would still like to think Henderson and/or Scougall are on the radar.

• Like 1

He may b talking the truth, but as most on here agree we would rather do out dealings on the sly.

Remember quite a few times where we lost out on targets because it was public knowledge. Thanks to those dastardly agents no doubt....

Only a matter of time before Kante and Pogba grace the Fir Park turf.

He may b talking the truth, but as most on here agree we would rather do out dealings on the sly.

Remember quite a few times where we lost out on targets because it was public knowledge. Thanks to those dastardly agents no doubt....

Only a matter of time before Kante and Pogba grace the Fir Park turf.

Pogba already has.

Yep agreed

It's based upon a budget for 10th place and no cup runs. This is what we get when we budget for pretty much worst case....a lower quality and/or quantity squad.

Add to that mix, we budgeted for no transfer income and yet we have sold Pearson, we're due a development fee for Ben Hall, and we still don't have clarity on the Robbiie Leitch development fee? ( maybe I've missed it ).

Something isn't adding up.

Anyway, it's not all over, still time for movement.

It's based upon a budget for 10th place and no cup runs. This is what we get when we budget for pretty much worst case....a lower quality and/or quantity squad.

Its a fine balance to tread isn't it. If the budget is slashed too much then it could become a self fulfilling prophesy. That said, some other clubs will also set the same budget levels. Teams funded by such a modest budget can come good but generally speaking they are based on effectiveness rather than flair and skill. They might not be the best to watch but they do get results.

Add to that mix, we budgeted for no transfer income and yet we have sold Pearson, we're due a development fee for Ben Hall, and we still don't have clarity on the Robbiie Leitch development fee? ( maybe I've missed it ).

Mentioned this very situation way back in the similar thread before.

If our playing budget for worst case is the budget no matter what then that's that. If it is say 2 million (for example) at the start of the season then that's that.

Non budgeted transfer income and any extra income either goes back in to the club/paying off debts etc. Or, it gets put into the team....but then in the latter case our playing budget wouldn't be worst case scenario as we are spending more due to new unexpected income.

Mentioned this very situation way back in the similar thread before.

If our playing budget for worst case is the budget no matter what then that's that. If it is say 2 million (for example) at the start of the season then that's that.

Non budgeted transfer income and any extra income either goes back in to the club/paying off debts etc. Or, it gets put into the team....but then in the latter case our playing budget wouldn't be worst case scenario as we are spending more due to new unexpected income.

There's also Lee Erwin's fee which falls into this year. It would make a lot of sense to hoard what surplus cash we have, if any, to help fund Les's payoff wouldn't it?

There's also Lee Erwin's fee which falls into this year. It would make a lot of sense to hoard what surplus cash we have, if any, to help fund Les's payoff wouldn't it?

If as a club we have made the decision to go with worst case scenario budgeting then we should stick with that. No point in announcing that is the plan to then go back on it.

Personally I wouldn't be going worst case in the first place. But if that's the plan then that's the plan and extra funds should go to paying off debts quicker so we can get to a point where we can start to build a pot and be a bit more creative with the budget.

Im sure we have 100% clarity on any Robbie Leitch development fee. The fact that me and you don't, doesn't matter one bit.

Serious question: How much do you as a fan, feel you are entitled to know? Fans, supporters, paying customers, there are various different things we can be called...but none of them entitle us to be kept informed of the inner workings of the business. The only thing that isn't adding up is why people get so hung up over information that they aren't privvy to.

If you can't enjoy going to the football without needing due-diligence on their business model, I think you probably need some friends, or maybe an outside interest or two.

• Like 6

Did we?

Ryan Stevenson sounded like he had virtually signed then went to Hearts. Not quite as close to a deal, but Samson was highly linked to us in the media and McCall made noises about signing him too.