2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

We were saying the exact same on the way back on Tuesday night. He is such an important part of the team that we would need to have time to bring in a replacement before the end of the window. My fear is the club receives a late offer they feel they have to take but we're left looking at the players who didn't manage to find a club (often for good reasons ).

For me, if Johnson leaves, a lot of responsibility falls on the shoulders of Lionel Ainsworth. Last season we used a front three of Johnson, Moult and McDonald. If we can't replace Johnson then Ainsworth would be the obvious replacement in a front three.

Big concern there would be the loss of Ainsworth as a good option from the bench...

• Like 2

For me, if Johnson leaves, a lot of responsibility falls on the shoulders of Lionel Ainsworth. Last season we used a front three of Johnson, Moult and McDonald. If we can't replace Johnson then Ainsworth would be the obvious replacement in a front three.

Agreed, Greg, the classic domino effect. Who then replaces Ainsworth - Dom Thomas? A few members, me included, feel that he might benefit from a loan period away from the club.

• Like 1

I am sure we will find out soon enough what Marv is worth.

Sadly I cannot see him being here come the end of the transfer window.

I assume he has no buy out clause, so we are in driving seat. My guess is anywhere between £750k and £1.5m. Anything less and I would keep him for the season or until Xmas at least.

I saw he re-tweeted a comment about him being championship bound !!!

He would be a big loss, but a decent piece of business all the same.

A bid of circa £500,000 will interest the powers that be. Bookmark it.

• Like 1

Agreed, Greg, the classic domino effect. Who then replaces Ainsworth - Dom Thomas? A few members, me included, feel that he might benefit from a loan period away from the club.

I said this in the match thread for the East Stirling game, but I really think we missed a trick not loaning Dom out last year. The last time he played more than half an hour was against Morton in September and didn't feature at all between October and January. That does show that he was dispensable from the squad last season. We should have had the foresight to see that this summer was probably around the time where Johnson would become a sellable asset and now would be the time for him to step up with some week in, week out experience.

We were similar with guys like Bob McHugh and Stuart Carswell, halted their early development by having them fill a seat on the bench, with the slight threat of them getting ten minutes here or there. A bit of a catch 22 when you have a small squad, but sometimes I think we need to be more focused on the end goal of having a developed player.

If we lose johnson need to bring in a replacement of same or similar quality . im personally a no to ainsworth starting

If we lose Johnson for £500k, it would very, very unlikely that we could replace him with a player of a similar quality. Obviously we found Johnson but don't imagine that there are many players of his quality available on our budget.

Basically it's Ainsworth, getting lucky with another unknown signing or change the way we set up the team...

Seems to me to be a number of issues here.

Hemmings was linked with some bog Championship clubs, yet got sold to Oxford.

Johnson has been linked to Sheffield Wednesday, who last season took McGeady on loan to help them push for a promotion spot. If they were looking for a wide player to buy for this campaign, I'm sure a seven figure budget would be allocated.

£12 million plus add ons has been quoted for a 29 year old Ross McCormack, I'm just hoping we hold out for £1 million plus for Johnson.

Would be nice to get a few clubs in the hook for a bidding war.

Why would we take a free agent as a replacement when we could spend the 1 million on someone, a don't mean the full 1 million but a mean a section of that cash for a good player

We might spend £50000 on a player but that would be about it and that level of player won't be markedly better than most free agents...

I would imagine that most if not all of it will go to paying Les back and getting us on a firm footing for entering into fan ownership.

Absolutely. I imagine that future transfer fees are actively being discussed as a way of paying off Les and this is why the fan takeover has been delayed with negotiations ongoing. A large chunk of any transfer fees will be taken by Les, hopefully leaving the club with a little to recycle in the process. If Les were to hoover all this income up, it would affect the short term viability of the club.

Maybe the wrong thread but I thought that here was a plan in place to repay the cash. If so then unless the board decide to pay it off quicker - and why should they since it's an interest free loan - I would expect any transfer fees to be used to help run the club this year and possibly next year.

Whether that is day to day costs, player budgets or even further investments in players I'm not sure. We should also remember that the manager is expected to sell at least one player a season to help balance the books. Selling Marvin now could put us in a good position if someone comes looking at Moult later.

Maybe the wrong thread but I thought that here was a plan in place to repay the cash. If so then unless the board decide to pay it off quicker - and why should they since it's an interest free loan - I would expect any transfer fees to be used to help run the club this year and possibly next year.

Whether that is day to day costs, player budgets or even further investments in players I'm not sure. We should also remember that the manager is expected to sell at least one player a season to help balance the books. Selling Marvin now could put us in a good position if someone comes looking at Moult later.

I don't know what we do but in my opinion player wages budget should be set annual and not gone over regardless of income to the club. To me that is the whole point of a budget.

I also think we should also set aside some money to pay transfers say £100,000 but which is not used for wages or any other kind of expense. Could be the difference between getting a player with sell on value or not as the free transfer market is a difficult market with lots of competition.

If we do get money for Johnson we need to invest that money wisely and not spunk it away in wages.

• Like 1

There was, but the problem is that Les Hutchison wants to change that repayment plan so that his investment is paid back early (we've discussed this very issue elsewhere). If the Society wants to take ownership of the club early then it has to come to some kind of agreement with him. I suspect that the only way the Society could meet condensed timescales would be if Les were to be given or promised a cut of transfer income.

Dundee and Inverness in for el bachtoui of dunfermline. 31 goals last year. Appreciate we might not have the budget and some may say we are ok for cover (if we had kept Moore) but can't help but think we may rue the chance of not getting him

You can see one of them picking him up on a free and him getting a move next year down south for decent money if he performs again this season