Pre Season?

Kmcalpin

Its only pre season but jesus christ its been crap. We are apparently tryin to get players fit etc etc so we are told not to worry.

I wouldnt worry if we were playin teams who were half way through their season and totally fit..........but they arent, they for the most part have been part time players during this pre season and when we play a full time time with half decent players we get pumped.

Dont want to worry but im not ecstatic about it

Thank fuck for Andy Murray or I could have been there today. Hopefully the league cup games will get us up to speed for the start of the season. We've signed a number of players who will take some time to adjust to the speed and quality of Scottish football. Hopefully an established midfielder is just around the corner.

Not exactly a confidence boosting scoreline but again no great shock. I suppose the success or otherwise of the game will depend on Mark McGhee's pre match aims. If it was to provide the squad with a tough competitive match then he picked the right opposition. Again Hibs would have had something to prove. Its a shame that we did not play English opposition this pre season but the fixture timetable would not have allowed it. Probably true to say that every side we have played so far had a point to prove, in addition to getting fit.

I wasn't at the game today and will watch the highlights with interest but it strikes me that we were at least a couple of players short of a decent side ie Louis Moult and an attacking central midfielder. Playing two defensive minded and slow (?) central midfielders together simply isn't going to work, but Mark McGhee will know that already, as do most of us. A fit Louis Moult will improve our firepower up front. There will still be question marks about the central defensive pairing unfortunately and both full backs will come under scrutiny for different reasons.

As a few of us suspected, the League Cup may come a few weeks too early for us, but that has still to play out. By the end of the group stage of the League Cup we should be in better position to know how things are settling down. It will take the new boys time to settle in and thats to be expected. The one crucial thing we have to do, is to sign an offensive central midfielder. I don't see that we have much choice.

I went along and for 2 minutes it was a great game. Shame about the next 90 or so.

Defending like amateurs if not worse. Hibs did not have to work hard for their goals. At one point it was shooty in for Hibs and it easily could have been a worse scoreline if they had taken easier chances.

Hibs fans would be relieved they did not get Skippy on that peformance.

Hard to find any positives. Thank god for Murray - so I could watch most of the 3rd set on the phone as nothing was happening on the pitch.

Credit to Leanne Dempster who came over to say hi to a few fans at HT.

We have had poor pre- seasons before and managed to do ok. But after today I could not see us beating many Top flight teams

Too much gloom and doom on here I fear. Yes, we've not being playing well but its only pre season and when the League Cup starts we will be actually be trying to win games. There's been more squad upheaval than many of us thought and thats taken its toll. I think we'll be ok with addition of another first pick central midfielder. My only concern, and it may be unfounded, is that we'll founder in the League Cup as its coming too early for us.

COYW

It was clear fir all to see we were well of the pace.

It was clear for all to see the defence was chronic

It was clear for all to see that we are not up to speed and next Saturday will probably come to soon for us

That said I have been very optimistic before and we have come a cropper, so I hope my fears are unfounded.

I'm afraid it was a rather inept performance with all players failing.

They looked a lot less fit than Hibs and a lot less hungry.

McHugh seemed unable to take the ball with his back to goal and turn. McMannus was woeful. Heneghan seemed lost. Tait was exposed as his right side centre back was as explained.

I'd carry on except I've had a few beers and I'd rather concentrate on having dinner and watching the Euros....

At least the manager and the players will be under no illusion as to just how much work is still required to get up to match sharpness. On the evidence so far we are probably a good 2 to 3 games away from that. Our progress in the league cup will be down to which teams are further down the road.

Hibs had a shorter pre season break than us and only played 2 friendlys before today, whilst we had played 4 times.

If they are ahead of us fitness wise then serious questions need to be asked.

HIbs retured to pre-season training four days earlier than us and have had a similar amount of friendlies if you include the games listed as Hibs XI friendlies not just the two listed as first team fixtures

carry on... asking those serious questions

• Like 1