Will We Qualify For The Next Stage Of The League Cup

middleeastdave

We were seeded, it was impossible not to the first time and just about impossible not to the second time. If you want to make a few bob this is a good draw. If you want to win it, it is a rotten draw. Unless you think Celtic in the midst of a Champions League qualifying campaign will see this as being well down their priority list may just rest a few, it could be the right time to get them. Some daemons from May 15th to be got rid of!

Tend to agree with the last points from Tweed - this competition will only be slightly more important than the glamour friendlies that Celtic are playing, so they may play some fringe players. And following our capitulation there at the end of last season, McGhee and the players should be looking to a much better performance/ result. Again, it'll depend which 'Well turn up

If you want to make a few bob this is a good draw. If you want to win it, it is a rotten draw.

That sums it up perfectly. If the game can attract say 19,000 at an average of £12 a head that should net us somewhere in the region of £80,000. More money to pay back Les early; a boost to the playing budget or a bit of both. That will compensate for the lack of another home league game against one the gruesome twosome.

Fed up with Well fans crapping their pants with the Old Firm.

Outstanding draw, cash to the club that may help McGhee swing a couple of deals that he was looking at.

What a boost for the players, they'll be buzzing.

Just get on the park and do them, we've done them before, and we'll do it again.

• Like 5

TV money isn't a big thing. Think it was £10k for Rangers, maybe up to £15k for the next round.

The Celtic crowd could be anything between 15-35k depending on CL progress and new signings. Hopefully it's towards the top end and we could see a return well In excess of £100k after costs.

Financial benefits are very good. Remembering that just by getting to the 2nd round we get [ I think ] £50k from the sponsor we can add anything between £80--£120k depending on prices and size of attendance.

Then there is the possibility of TV money.

And who would definetly say we wouldnt beat them?

Probably on the telly, will probably make enough from gate money to pay a midfielder for a year.

Yeah with two games to be shown you would think so but interesting to see who they come up with and when. Celtic v Motherwell and St Johnstone v Hearts seem the pick of the bunch to me but there's a bit for them to consider.

I noted Derek Rae said on BT the fixtures would be spread across Tuesday 9th, Wednesday 10th and Thursday 11th August. There seems no obvious reason to play one on a Thursday night unless it's going to be shown live but with all the top flight fixtures scheduled to play on Saturday 13th August that means at least one fixture will probably need moved to the Sunday, unless of course they go with Dundee Utd v Partick Thistle who are stuck without a game because Celtic, their scheduled opponents, are off selflessly sacrificing themselves "for the good of Scottish football" on Saturday 13th August across in Ireland. I suspect the authorities aren't going to ask Celtic to play on Thursday ahead of that vital missionary work on the Saturday. Not unless they want to be subjected to ear pearcing whines of Celtic fans crying fix, foul play or whatever.

That rather long winded and painful thought process could be shortened a good bit to say if we are selected to be on live and get our mitts on some additional revenue, I suspect it'll be the Tuesday or the Wednesday, not the Thursday.

All this chat of TV revenues is fine, but I'd rather stay in the cup for another round (getting a draw against Peterhead or such like) and then getting the cash cows in the semi's or final. The club makes a lot more from that.

I don't see why so many are wringing their hands with a Celtic away draw, its almost as if it's our final.

Depending on prices, I reckon we'll make somewhere between £75k and £150k based on crowds of 17,000 - 35,000. You would then have the £30k sponsors money of top of that; maybe even TV money. We are where we are. We've been drawn to play Celtic at Parkhead and need to enter the fray with a positive attitude.

The club has already made a complaint about lack of old firm games and we then seemed to have spent all of our budget when there had previously been talk of bringing in a couple of other players.

This should make up for the 'missing' game which has caused us to reduce the budget and may allow us to bolster the midfield.

We are also playing Celtic when they have a few defenders missing and before they bring in a few more new players who may be an improvement on what they have at the moment. Hopefully we have a right good go at them.

I noted Derek Rae said on BT the fixtures would be spread across Tuesday 9th, Wednesday 10th and Thursday 11th August. There seems no obvious reason to play one on a Thursday night unless it's going to be shown live but with all the top flight fixtures scheduled to play on Saturday 13th August that means at least one fixture will probably need moved to the Sunday

Suspect the Thursday could be there as a back up because Hearts, Celtic, St Johnstone and Aberdeen all play on Sunday next weekend which would preclude them from playing on the Tuesday. If they pick games on footballing merit rather than pandering to the bigots they'll pick St Johnstone v Hearts and our game, neither of which can be played on the Tuesday.

• Like 1

The club have a recent record of overplaying any financial hardship, while completely neglecting to mention several "windfalls" of this sort.

Personally, couldn't give a shit about the money, I'm not going to tell my grandkids about the time I saw Motherwell make a £100k profit....

I noticed Leicester got a section behind the goal, rather than the corner (the extra allocation Rangers get), that could be the deciding factor on whether I go or not. I know Celtic had mentioned the negative feedback and relocating visiting fans.....

• Like 1

While the draw could have been kinder, it is still an opportunity on several levels. It is a chance to get to the quarter finals, it is a chance to make up for the dismal performance at Parkhead on the last day of the season just past, and ( I assume) it will make us more money from this competition than we had budgeted for.

I'd have to say that, so far, the new style League Cup has been a qualified success in that it has been a step up from pre season friendlies. We have nothing to lose in the next round so I am hoping for a decent performance and a cup upset. In the long run though, a win at Killie on Saturday will probably be more important

• Like 1

I'd have to say that, so far, the new style League Cup has been a qualified success in that it has been a step up from pre season friendlies. We have nothing to lose in the next round so I am hoping for a decent performance and a cup upset. In the long run though, a win at Killie on Saturday will probably be more important

Agree it's been a success so far but the format has been let down with the seeding for this round.

Any indication as to whether we'll just have the usual corner section? Had heard murmurs that Celtic were thinking about relocating away supports due to the amount of negative feedback about the poor views away fans get in a half empty stadium.

Don't know if anything came of it but we'll be due a larger allocation anyway with it being a cup game, not that we'll fill it mind you.

I thought they had sold a lot more season tickets this season which would probably put an end to any notion of moving the away support.

Although there is tv money involved, is it not only about £10k per team? In this case it could reduce the attendance by a sufficient amount for the tv payment not to make up for it.

I thought they had sold a lot more season tickets this season which would probably put an end to any notion of moving the away support.

Although there is tv money involved, is it not only about £10k per team? In this case it could reduce the attendance by a sufficient amount for the tv payment not to make up for it.

The TV money for the game will be £15k. We should make a minimum of £80K from the game I'd think, hopefully more.

The TV money for the game will be £15k. We should make a minimum of £80K from the game I'd think, hopefully more.

Certain much better financially than drawing either Alloa, Peterhead or Ayr United. If we are going to get knocked out it’s better to lose with a tidy financial reward to help sweeten the blow. And you never know we might just win it! :)