Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Forb

For me, their is no doubting Forbes had the ability. His weakness was always his engine and I don't think he has ever looked fit.

Wether that is just his natural level or its down to a lack of application, I'm not sure.

A fit, mobile player with Forbes ability would have been a superstar for any team in the league.

I liked him...loads of skill. But, lacked the fitness/pace/tackle to really fit in to the team under Brown. His confidence clearly nose dived and he never really recovered which was a shame.

I'm sure with Slane it was a case of his old man who was a through and through sellic man. Was the worst possible move he could make.

Also think McCart needs to soldier some blame for breaking the gentlemans agreement and poaching him, then not helping him out as he was clearly a very troubled young man going through some horrific injuries.

Sadly, not the first time that this will happen and will happen again. As Weeyin said, hard work and professionalism is paramount, as is the right guidance and advice.

It is quite a tragic tale.

Just another example of how, at the top level, talent plays a small part in success. Hard work, dedication, professionalism and all those other clichés are what separates the stars from the drop-outs.

Not an ex Well player but I always thought Riordan was an example of a player with loads of talent that could have done a lot more with it...

Not an ex Well player but I always thought Riordan was an example of a player with loads of talent that could have done a lot more with it...

Definitely. And closer to home, Brian Kerr was another frustrating example. Terrific talent who thought he'd cracked it when he started off with Newcastle and seemed to believe he just had to walk on the pitch to be lauded. He could have been, too, if it he applied himself, but far too often looked like he didn't give a toss.

If you track his progress after Newcastle, it was pretty much a straight line downwards.

Definitely. And closer to home, Brian Kerr was another frustrating example. Terrific talent who thought he'd cracked it when he started off with Newcastle and seemed to believe he just had to walk on the pitch to be lauded. He could have been, too, if it he applied himself, but far too often looked like he didn't give a toss.

If you track his progress after Newcastle, it was pretty much a straight line downwards.

At least with Kerr he is a decent human being. The less said about Derek the better.

Not quite the right topic, but an interview with Louis Laing from a few days ago: http://www.nottinghampost.com/louis-laing-enjoying-notts-county-stay-and-relishing-new-right-back-role/story-29885344-detail/story.html

Interesting few paragraphs at the end which seems to make it pretty clear the club arent exactly keeping tabs on how Laing is doing with a hope to him returning a better player.

It looks unlikely Motherwell will need him back after Laing admitted they haven't been in touch with him since he arrived.

"Motherwell aren't giving me any feedback," he said. "They are struggling a little bit. They are near the bottom of the league.

"I don't know what's going to happen in January. I am enjoying it here so I am not looking at them too much."

He'll be away permanently in January if he doesn't kick his heels about a pay off. Either that or his loan will get extended till his contract expires. Shame that, I thought he was a player of decent potential at first, but he's definitely never fulfilled it.